FZR562 questions

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Chris65
Site Newbie

FZR562 questions

Post by Chris65 »

My first post here on the forum, so I hope I put this in the right place.

I am building a garden tractor for pulling competition and stumbled upon the 562 buildup using a 400 case, YZF600 crank and rods, and FZR600 pistons and cylinders. The class I am building for has a 575cc limit, so this is a perfect build for what I want to do. Most of the guys running this class are using the old 550cc bike engines, so I can get quite an advantage with this engine. I have not started collecting parts yet, so I would like to get the best parts to do this build of course.

I have built a lot of car and snowmobile engines, but never a bike engine, so this is new territory for me. I have acquired the service manuals for the three engines involved, but I have a couple questions:

1. Is the 400 case necessary, or can I use the YZF case? It seemed in the writeup that the 400 case was used to meet rule compliance.

2. Supposedly I can use either the FZR or YZF head, cams, carbs. Is there any advantage to using these parts from certain years, or are they pretty much the same? I have read the 98 and newer carbs are bigger.

3. Do any certain year electronics for the YZF offer an advantage in ignition timing?

Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Re: FZR562 questions

Post by Evilchicken0 »

I think the build was on FZR Archives, from what I remember you use the 400 crank and 600 top end I don't remember a crank swap. Its basically a short stroke 600

I read somewhere the heads have a different volume per cylinder
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
Chris65
Site Newbie

Post by Chris65 »

Thanks for the reply. There is definitely a crank swap for the 562. The one you are talking about is doable also, and nets about 490cc. You are right, the build is on FZR Archives. The page is http://www.fzrarchives.com/fzr400/560.html. I don't know if it is OK to post links to other sites here, so if not, I will remove it.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Are you talking about usa bikes or European ? The engines are different.

The 400 crankcases are roughly the same as the 600 but the oilways to feed the crank are smaller, if youre racing you need the bigger ones. Using the 600 cases will be good because the crank and crank / alternator seal will be stock but the Foxeye / T'Cat mounts to the frame on the head not the gearbox, which is used on 1WG 400's.
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Chris65 wrote:You are right, the build is on FZR Archives. The page is http://www.fzrarchives.com/fzr400/560.html. I don't know if it is OK to post links to other sites here, so if not, I will remove it.
We're all friends with those from the Archives. Most of us started there. No problem with the links.

Darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
Chris65
Site Newbie

Post by Chris65 »

Evilchicken0 wrote:Are you talking about usa bikes or European ? The engines are different.

The 400 crankcases are roughly the same as the 600 but the oilways to feed the crank are smaller, if youre racing you need the bigger ones. Using the 600 cases will be good because the crank and crank / alternator seal will be stock but the Foxeye / T'Cat mounts to the frame on the head not the gearbox, which is used on 1WG 400's.
I would be basing my engine off the USA engine because of availability to me. I did read about opening up the oil feeds in the 400 case for this engine. so your comment makes perfect sense to me. I figured I could use the YZF case for this, since that is where the crank and rods are coming from.

As far as mounting the engine, that will all be custom since this will be going in to what resembles a garden tractor. Here is a link to a tractor in our club with an FZR400 engine in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pcw7l0no-U
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Mini tractor pulling !!!

I used to watch tractor pulling back in the day ... real petrolhead stuff :)

Don't you need a higher torque engine for this ?
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
Chris65
Site Newbie

Post by Chris65 »

Evilchicken0 wrote:Mini tractor pulling !!!

I used to watch tractor pulling back in the day ... real petrolhead stuff :)

Don't you need a higher torque engine for this ?
Actually. if you gear them properly, you are better off with something with more horsepower. Like my original post said, the limit for this particular class is 575cc, and the 562 build nets 85HP according to the site I posted. This would put me at quite an advantage over the older 550cc models, and the FZR400 in the video. The guy with the 400 normally beats the older motors, even though they should have a torque advantage, but I know he is running a ridiculous gear ratio which creates torque. With his trans in 2nd gear I have clocked him with a radar gun, and he is only doing about 15mph in second gear when he hits the rev limiter.
Chris65
Site Newbie

Post by Chris65 »

Here is another video of the same guy with his FZR600 powered tractor running in the 750cc class. Not sure why he went with a 600, but he does very well against the 750s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8xggD4cg8Y
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

No mechanical sympathy then ;)
Maybe the he's running a 720 conversion on the 600 motor
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
Chris65
Site Newbie

Post by Chris65 »

Evilchicken0 wrote:No mechanical sympathy then ;)
Maybe the he's running a 720 conversion on the 600 motor
It's actually just how he pulled it out of the wrecked bike, and I know he has never opened up the motor, but maybe there was something done to it by the previous owner. One of the reasons he does well in the pulls is that his tractors are set up very well.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Careful settup - like Rossi then ;)
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
Stumpy
Site Newbie

Post by Stumpy »

I would consider a destroked R6 engine. Reliable, fuel injection, more HP. Just depends on your budget but they seem to be fairly cheap to build. There has been a lot of talk about them on the WERA forum lately.
Chris65
Site Newbie

Post by Chris65 »

Stumpy wrote:I would consider a destroked R6 engine. Reliable, fuel injection, more HP. Just depends on your budget but they seem to be fairly cheap to build. There has been a lot of talk about them on the WERA forum lately.
I'm open to any options. Thanks! Do you have a link to more info?
Stumpy
Site Newbie

Post by Stumpy »

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t= ... =future+LW
Read through this thread to get a little insight