Clutch basket, plate,thrust washers in wrong way maybe

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Clutch basket, plate,thrust washers in wrong way maybe

Post by coops »

Theres two big washers either side of the clutch basket. One has grooves one doesn't, but they are similar otherwise.
My parts book shows the one behind the basket has the grooves, but my bike is the other way round. Maybe a PO installed them wrong way. Dunno. I don't totally trust the fishes.
Anyone here clarify for me?
Its part 2 and 15 on the fiche
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Y ... parts.html
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Clutch basket, plate,thrust washers in wrong way maybe

Post by Rooster »

My bike was all torn apart when I got it but i re-installed it like the diagram said and I also managed to find a site that had the Yamaha 1989 FZR shop manual posted for awhile and it was the same as the micro fiche drawings. probably doesn't help you cause yours was working the way you got it so ask Stig.
Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana
coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by coops »

Rooster wrote:My bike was all torn apart when I got it but i re-installed it like the diagram said and I also managed to find a site that had the Yamaha 1989 FZR shop manual posted for awhile and it was the same as the micro fiche drawings. probably doesn't help you cause yours was working the way you got it so ask Stig.
Thanks for the reply rooster.
But these fiche mistakes generally get repeated on all manuals, Haynes included. Ive seen fiche mistakes repeated in about four formats on my kwaka.
Its no big deal these slots. They are obviously there to let the oil OUT of the basket bearing so it gets fresh oil. Maybe itl work either side. I will just have a closer look as I assemble.
Cheers.
coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by coops »

Just another update.
Had a closer look at it and thinking where would the flung oil go too? Then I remembered this web page
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/clutch_y.html
The slotted washer is the provider of oil to the holes in the clutch hub. So in this case the fiche and manual are wrong.
Also the fact that the slotted washer is slightly larger in diameter than the plain washer so you cant put them in the wrong way round. If you try, it will clash with the bearing retainer plate. So rooter you must have installed it correctly.