no compression valve adjustment HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

no compression valve adjustment HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by 68sweetnlow »

New to the sight , been looking around it and seems to be awsome group of people. Bought a 92 fzr 600 other day not running kinda bassketcase. Brought her home found out no compression and or very low compression on all cyl. Done some research on it found valves are the main culprit. So tore her down to check the clearances, Well all my intake valves have 0 lash. Any idea on where to start on the shims for the buckets??? To bring her back to spec and do i need to worry about burnt valves???
DonTZ125

Re: no compression valve adjustment HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by DonTZ125 »

Hiya, sweet! Welcome to the madness.

Tight valves are the bane of these bikes, but with regular maintenance you can keep them running a long time. As you've noticed, when the previous owner leaves it too long the clearance tightens up to where you have no starting point. All you can do is inspect your various shims, try and swap them around to find something that will give you SOME reading. At this point you can do the math and order in the proper shim for each. Yes, this means you have to pull the cams AT LEAST twice; if you have no shim small enough to do one or more valves, you'll have to order in one or more of the smallest shim, install it (them), and then do the measure / math / order in new shims.

If you find a valve that cannot be brought into spec with the smallest shim, then that valve must be replaced, the seat recut, etc etc etc.
68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

Post by 68sweetnlow »

Alright, kinda what i figured sense work on cars for a living. Would it be best in my case to pull the head and do it on the bench? instead of dealing with tight spaces. plus can expect the valves make sure they are not burnt? my biggest issue ( personal experience with timing chains) cam to crank timing...... i am very worried about the timing bc there is no set timing marks but the mag. on the crank and guessing and your own markings on the cams
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

68sweetnlow wrote:i am very worried about the timing bc there is no set timing marks but the mag. on the crank and guessing and your own markings on the cams
Read the manual again. The cam timing marks are quite distinct.
68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

Post by 68sweetnlow »

dont have a manual but def be getting on asap and suggestions on a decent one? Sense my valves are so tight would it be smart to get the smallest shim and start from there???
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Any of the manuals will work. I have all 3 and for the most part they are accurate. Obviously the factory manual is the nicest in terms of specs. Beyond that, let me know if you need anything. You can pull the cylinder head if you want to inspect the valves. You will need a new head gasket at that point as well. If you want to go all out I have a completely disassembled cylinder head you can buy. You can lap the valves in, new valve seals, etc. Make it nice and shiney so you hopefully don't have to go through this again anytime soon.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

Post by 68sweetnlow »

thanks ima get a manual asap and go from there see whats my best option
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

Be smart and don't do it without a manual. Even with a manual, make sure you understand what you are doing.

IMO your best bet for buying shims is this:

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/hotcam ... ts_748.htm

You might find a dealer that will exchange shims for free, I have known very few people who were able to do this.
68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

Post by 68sweetnlow »

found a online manual helped alot http://commline.com/FZR/600/MANUAL/ cant remember where i found it
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Nothing beats a real manual. Also, depending on the shims you need I have a lot. Let me know. I'm pretty reasonable on prices too.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

Post by 68sweetnlow »

ordered some shims threw local yamaha dealer 1.50 a peace and can ya tell me how the throttle cable bracket mounts on the carbs the jackass zip tied it and want to mount it right pic would be great
68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

Post by 68sweetnlow »

got her running today carbs are all to hell. ordered a set off ebay for 42 bucks hope they are decent shape looked to be from the pics
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

eh, I'd be skeptical at 42 bucks. Most times, the carbs are fine but need new seals and intake boots and emulsion tubes. The cost of those items alone are more than a decent set of carbs. However, as most issues are often carb related, it makes sense to replace these items if you plan on keeping the bike.
Do YOU Scopper?

68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

Post by 68sweetnlow »

the carbs i have some jack ass had swapped them around the throttle cable was zipp tied to them to work and linkage was missing so is the bracket for the idle adjustment id rather start with a complete set of carbs that need cleaning and a lil work then to spend countless hours find brakes and everything i need to get the ones thats on it straight also they had been expoxy on the bowls i mean they have dencent parts on them but just all messed up
68sweetnlow
Site Newbie

Post by 68sweetnlow »

heres the set i bought guy had two if they look this dencent when they get here i think ill be good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251439175473?ss ... 1439.l2649