Check out my sprocket! or whats left of it! (pic)

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

desmarat
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Check out my sprocket! or whats left of it! (pic)

Post by desmarat »

So i had been hearing a squealing coming from the rear of my bike. First thought it was the clutch, turned out to be the cable was kinked and pulling on the cable not allowing the clutch to fully engage. Then thought it could be the rear bearings, took my chain off to get the tire off and saw this!

Also with that, i realized my dumb ass did not put the orings back on the master link. I put two in on one side and then just the plate and clip on the other (WTF!) :duh: banghead . So i cleaned my chain like this... With a drill, hole say adapter, spare sprocket, and a zip tie to hold the trigger of the drill on slow turn turning the chain in a bucket of 1-K kerosene.

I saw a video of this online and followed it pretty close. I put the chain back on and placed all the o-rings in the master link, lubed the chain and rode it, No squealing! Heres the chain wax i use!

Now i just need to replace the chain and sprocket. Im pretty sure i have the 520 kit for the yzf 600 rear end i have. The sprocket says JTR245-3-46 and C45 in another spot. I put the numbers in online and came up with a 520 kit, can anyone verify if i am correct on that so i can buy the right sprocket, thanks!
92 FZR 600 25,000 miles and fresh rebuild. Painted
YZF forks
YZF swingarm
YZF rear shock
"Chopped" rear end
Custom electronics box (under seat)
Custom seat and rear frame bracing bracket
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Re: Check out my sprocket! or whats left of it! (pic)

Post by pefrey »

The rear sprocket is showing the "shark fin". I wonder if you can just flip it over. That chain cleaning set up is pretty ghetto, I love it. Why not just drop it in the bucket and let it soak, then hit it with a tooth brush? I use a baking pan with a wire rack.
desmarat
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by desmarat »

Well, with the constant movement of the chain it cleans better. I have done it in a bucket before, just seems to work better for me. Chain is showing signs of wear too,heat stress on the rollers. Im going to replace the whole kit.
92 FZR 600 25,000 miles and fresh rebuild. Painted
YZF forks
YZF swingarm
YZF rear shock
"Chopped" rear end
Custom electronics box (under seat)
Custom seat and rear frame bracing bracket
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Thats a nice setup for cleaning the chain, mine will be brand new with the r6 swinger swap, but maybe next winter.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien