Fairing air intake pipes?

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Fairing air intake pipes?

Post by coops »

Just wondering, because ive seen in some pics people removing these pipes (even on race bikes) I would've thought that was a bad idea because im very surprised at the amount of heat that comes out under the tank. Its not that surprising though because the radiator only moves the heat from the engine to the radiator. The heat then goes back and up under the tank.
Or is it OK to remove them? I wont be regardless of your answers, just curious. Cheers.
Kevadlilleke
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Fairing air intake pipes?

Post by Kevadlilleke »

Hot air shouldn't get from the radiator to under-the-tank, because of the cover under the coil bracket. But I'd assume that having the intake pipes fitted would help keep designed air pressure around the airbox intake.
1990 FZR 1000, 1993 engine, terrible state... but improving.
[Project thread] The Yellow FZR - 1990/1993 FZR1000
2012 Image Image 2013 Image 2014 Image
FTL900
Site Newbie

Post by FTL900 »

Many newer bikes use forced air intake fed into the airbox to pressurize it.
My layman's understanding is that it acts like a supercharger, and forcing more air in increases power.
2000 VFR800, 1998 VTR1000, 1996 Bandit 600, 1998 FZR600, 1998 DR350SE
Going slow into a corner, and coming fast out is good. Going fast into a corner and coming out dead is not good.

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

If these are the tubes I think you're talking about, I believe they cool the frame, and do not have an opening to the engine compartment or the air box

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by coops »

Its to keep the carbs cooler and electrics.
Forget it.
Kevadlilleke
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Kevadlilleke »

FTL900 wrote:My layman's understanding is that it acts like a supercharger, and forcing more air in increases power.
No, it merely compensates for underpressure that normally forms under the tank when you drive at highway speed and also acts as fresh/cool air inlet. As a sidenote - FZR doesn't have ram-air, just some pressure equalization, but it is still there to help the airbox design work as intended.
Genesis wrote:If these are the tubes I think you're talking about, I believe they cool the frame, and do not have an opening to the engine compartment or the air box
On the FZR 1000 (at least) they go through the frame and end right inside the frame, above the engine block. No direct connection to the airbox, but to the cavity between the engine, tank and airbox - which is where the airbox takes air from.

In principle when the pipes are in place, you should have a bit smoother ride and a bit more fuel economy because the airbox resonates at its engineered frequency. Any power gains shouldn't be noticeable outside the racetrack.
Last edited by Kevadlilleke on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: Re: Fairing air intake pipes?

Post by Genesis »

Genesis wrote:If these are the tubes I think you're talking about, I believe they cool the frame, and do not have an opening to the engine compartment or the air box
On the FZR 1000 (at least) they go through the frame and end right inside the frame, above the engine block. No direct connection to the airbox, but to the cavity between the engine, tank and airbox - which is where the airbox
Interesting. wonder y they did not do it on the 600.

My FZR6 Rebuild

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
Mikey
Site Newbie

Re: Re: Fairing air intake pipes?

Post by Mikey »

Genesis wrote:
On the FZR 1000 (at least) they go through the frame and end right inside the frame, above the engine block. No direct connection to the airbox, but to the cavity between the engine, tank and airbox - which is where the airbox
Interesting. wonder y they did not do it on the 600.

This is an interesting subject, I doubt very much the air intakes are to cool the frame :) Take a look At the photo's here, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/93-FZR600R-FZ ... 3381e6d45c Do the four small holes on the inside of both frame rails direct cool air to the airbox intake? All four of them are pretty much close to the airbox intake. I know the larger holes are for the wiring harness (left side) and a coolant hose (right side) but come on to cool the frame :duh:
Kevadlilleke
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Kevadlilleke »

And by the looks of it, the pipes on the 600 go through the frame ( http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1990-Yamaha-FZR6 ... ~60_35.JPG ) Have you looked on the inside of your frame? Are you sure there are no openings?
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Omy I never noticed, they come in just in front of my coil and right on the opposite side.

My FZR6 Rebuild

coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by coops »

I don't know that much about these bikes, and I haven't read the links provided. I doubt there is much of a vaccum at all under the tank where the air box sucks in, theres plenty of room for air to get in there. The size of the hole in the airbox compared to the size of the gaps around the tank isn't even close. No one has mensioned loss of power due to carburettors heating up. Arent these bikes meant too have insulation between the bottom of the carbs and the block theyre sitting on? Surely these pipes are too provided fresh air around the carbs.
My 2 cents. Guessing.
Cheers.
Kevadlilleke
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Kevadlilleke »

Vacuum (or in that case just a slight underpressure) happens naturally at highway speeds under the tank because of aerodynamics. It's the same effect you get when you open your car window slightly.