1040 build, which exhaust and intake?

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

3.0 GT
Site Newbie

Post by 3.0 GT »

So I bought a 94 fzr1000 awhile ago that came from the previous owner with pod filters and a rusty aftermarket full exhaust (aka no exup valve) and a muzzy muffler. I am not sure which brand the headers are. Anyways I pulled the knocking engine to rebuild it and in the process I am putting in the 1040 kit, six speed trans, and a few other goodies. I use the bike on the street and want to have a nice full powerband all around. I plan on ditching the pods but should I go back to the stock airbox with a k&N filter or maybe dual k&N pods( I read somewhere on here that these work better than individual pods for the stock cv carbs). Also should I ditch this aftermarket exhaust and buy a used exup header with valve, servo, etc.. and would my muzzy muffler fit on that as well? I will be putting in a factory pro jet kit, and the config will depend on if I stay with the exhaust I have now or go to stock exup and if I go with dual pods or go to stock airbox. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Also with the 1040 kit maybe the stock airbox would be too restrictive considering it will be pulling in more air now, idk.. Thanks
Redoliander
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Redoliander »

My 91 has a 1040 kit in it. Stock air box, k&n air filter, yosh exhaust, exup valve. Not sure what jets it has. I haven't started it yet. I need some floats for her and trying to get the 600 going first.
coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: 1040 build, which exhaust and intake?

Post by coops »

I suggest you reinstate the exup valve. Unless you spend most of the time above 8k rpm. You probably already know this.
banner001
Site Newbie

Post by banner001 »

the 1040cc kit means you are pulling in 3.79% more air than before...i think the airbox can cope with this engorging process.
dan83590
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by dan83590 »

Mine is very similar to yours.

K & N in standard airbox
Exup header and race can
Exup installed and working. (you really want this for the street)
125 127.5 jet combo
Standard needle one clip from top.
Standard slides.
Floats at 14-15mm

I've tried lots of jets larger and smaller and this is the best for me. Tried DJ needles, they work great but wear the emulsion tubes REALLY quickly and you are back to square -1.

I got 135 at the rear wheel previously when the bike felt less powerful, hoping for 140.
3.0 GT
Site Newbie

Post by 3.0 GT »

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and picked up a used stock airbox with a K&N filter
Off eBay and I'm trying to find a stock exhaust to get the exup valve. I guess the stock equipment will work better than dicking around with tuning for hours trying to get the low end back. I'm excited to try her out later when it's all finished and see how the 1040 performs.