electrical problems

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: electrical problems

Post by ian »

I checked voltage across the battery and it is only about 12.4 volts when revving. I also checked the 3 pin connector for the stator and I did not read any resistance. this leads me to believe that my stator coil is bad. Any ideas?
Thanks, for a country where nobody is allowed to mind his own business. Thanks, for a nation of finks.
- William Burroughs
haha this is awesome... probably the only addiction support group i have seen that supports the addiction!

Last words are for fools who haven't said enough.
- Karl Marx
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ian wrote:I checked voltage across the battery and it is only about 12.4 volts when revving. I also checked the 3 pin connector for the stator and I did not read any resistance. this leads me to believe that my stator coil is bad. Any ideas?
Ian,
12.4 is low BUT that can be from dirty contacts in the connectors.
Unless you have atruly professional multi meter the stator coils will look like they are shorted out as the are very low ohmage.
At this moment I cannot tell you what they should be but i do remember another models stator coil being 3.4 Ohms.

Some where on this site I am fairly sure the readings for the coils are there.
If not and you find the reading else where PLEASE add it to the wiki page for the FZR600 under specifications.
Thanks
geo.
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

It is in the Clymer manual under electrical, but I'll add it to the wiki.
Thanks, for a country where nobody is allowed to mind his own business. Thanks, for a nation of finks.
- William Burroughs
haha this is awesome... probably the only addiction support group i have seen that supports the addiction!

- Karl Marx
B.Shady
Site Newbie

Post by B.Shady »

I keep having a similar problem which is caused by one of the battery connectors coming loose. Once i tighten the connector back up the problem goes away.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ian wrote:It is in the Clymer manual under electrical, but I'll add it to the wiki.
TOP MAN
Thank you
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

I couldn't figure out where to put it on the wiki, so I'll post it here and let someone find the appropriate place for it.

Testing the 3 pin connector on the digital ignition, the resistance should be .31-.37 ohms.
- William Burroughs

- Karl Marx
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

ok, new update. I got the R6 VR in the mail today, pulled the old VR off, and lo and behold the connections are different. Was this expected when whoever it was recommended I get the R6 rectifier? and how do I mend this problem?
- William Burroughs

- Karl Marx
Luke-a-Tron
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Luke-a-Tron »

The r6 connector will have pins arranged like so:

Code: Select all

-   -
- - -
You will need to get some crimp on spade connectors that fit the pins on the new VR. Clip the connector off the end of the harness and put the spade connectors on the end of all the wires. The white wires go on the bottom 3 pins in no particular order. The red (positive voltage coming out from the VR) and the black (universal negative) go on the top two pins but I can't remember which is which. I can look when I get home but that won't be until the early hours of tomorrow morning so maybe some one else knows off hand?
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Ian would you mind putting up a pic of the one you have? You said in chat it had 6 connectors instead of 5 like yours?
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

here you go guys, the two different VRs.

FZR

R6
- William Burroughs

- Karl Marx
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

had the same problem but my connections to the vr in the plug itself were corroded and one broke giving the same symptoms so i would say your in the right area.
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
Luke-a-Tron
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Luke-a-Tron »

I believe the top center pin (top with the mounting surface facing down) is a dead pin. I just went and looked at my regulator (which looks like the one you have pictured on top, labeled FZR) and I can't tell which is positive and which is negative on the two top pins. I'll have to stick the meter on there tomorrow.