FZR 600 mirrors...

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

banner001
Site Newbie

FZR 600 mirrors...

Post by banner001 »

hi guys, i have a zxr400 and i want to fit white mirrors to it, but i cant find any in stock anywhere for less than £120 for the pair!

so i dont think that these would look too bad from a fzr 600 (they are round, whereas the zxr ones are square, but i can always re-sell if i dont like them in a few months).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZR-60 ... 5d3e165cb5

but as the seller wont accept messages, i would like to know the following please:-
are they aftermarket parts, and do the originals look like this?
do they use 2 bolts to affix to the front nosepiece or 1?
if they use 2, what is the mounting distance?
and do the mirrors have screw threads attached, or do they have inserts, and you screw them to the nosepiece with a seperate bolt (if you get me - the picture seems to suggest that the mirrors dont have screw threads attached)?
what is the approximate length from where the mirror attaches to the nosepiece, to where the ball joint (that you use to angle the mirror) is?
and lastly, what is the width of the glass bit of the mirror?

thanks guys!
Clanky
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: FZR 600 mirrors...

Post by Clanky »

Here's a link to another ebay seller offering some very similar mirrors (probably the same ones) with all the dimensions listed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-AFTER ... 1c1cd78c55
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Bannner; Use the original mounts for the Kawasaki and unbolt the head and stem from the Yamaha replacements, otherwise you have to widen the spacing between the fixing holes on the nosecone and stay to fit the complete head.As you guessed,the Kwak has studs incorporated;the Yam has countersunk, seperate screws and dome nuts.(not included)
The aftermarket Yam comes with a rubber boot that covers the mount,it's too large for the kwak mount though.
Beware; these are called "Micky mouse" mirrors, not because they look like mouse's ears but because of the view they afford.
You get an excellent view of your elbows,
They are a reasonable copy of the originals.
The stems are about 30 mm shorter that zxr mirrors.
Will;
ZXR 750
ZXR 750/900.
FZR 1000 x 2
Fzr 600
FZR 400 x 4.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
banner001
Site Newbie

Post by banner001 »

cheers guys for the informative responses, hmm 3cm shorter than the zxr ones, and with my 54" chest i already have a good view of my elbows :D

also my current ones are black so i cant change the bottom of the mounts over...bugger!

my zxr400, even though its my commuter bike, is almost back to standard (ive got a black carbon can to replace the damaged black steel original), got some damaged plastics and a few bits of wear to the paintwork...i really like the look of white mirrors but they are so expensive brand new im not impressed at having to buy some, but it sure will look nice when its done :D
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Just repaint the base mounts.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
banner001
Site Newbie

Post by banner001 »

its for my near-mint condition bike, so it will be proper or not at all :D
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

And what pray tell, do you think the original finish is on mirror bases ?
Just spend £120 on a pair of genuine ones.. banghead
JohnBoy69
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by JohnBoy69 »

Those aftermarket FZR mirrors are probably the same as the ones from yambits.co.uk which I got for about the same money as the ebay ones.

They are 'ok' but not the same quality as the originals, E.G the originals have ally (i think) base mounts. The copies come with white rubber boots, but I've swapped the correct black boots over from the old mirrors.

The standard finish is again 'ok', a sort of dull plasticky matt white- i've resprayed mine.

John
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it is.

1990 FZR600 Genesis 3HE
1993 Alfa Romeo
2008 Fiat