My FZR Build/restoration

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Harrysf707
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

My FZR Build/restoration

Post by Harrysf707 »

I guess it's better late than never to start but, here goes.

So back in mid-December 2012, I was given an '93 FZR for free. It was a little worse for wear but, it looked promising. It had been sitting outside for about 3 years. At first glance, there was sun damage, acorns stashed in different places and spiders nests. Oh how naive I was, thinking "Oh all it needs is a little tender loving care." Nope, wrong! It needed whole a lot of care and more. haha.
Well, I decided to take on this project because I really wanted a motorcycle and the price of FREE was just too good to pass up, also I've never taken on a project such as a rebuild before and wanted to learn. Sure I know how to change the oil, oil filter, air filter and regular maintenance on a car but, that's about as far as my mechanical skills go lol.

So, It was decided there and then that I would take her home begin working on her and eventually ride. And thus begins the gradual rebuild of my FZR and the steep decline of my bank account.

Well here she is the day I took her home. (camera quality isn't too great took them all from my phone, it doesn't do too well in low-light situations).

Yes, that headlight is being held on by some wires. Haha.

After a good wash.

Ok, time to take out and clean the carbs [This took me a while as I've never worked on carburetors before, thankfully I had the Clymer's manual to help me out.]

First time taking the air box and carbs off, and was greeted to the sight of this... :yikes: Grime and crap everywhere.

Wire-brush + 5 hours + hard work = Woah!

Time to take off the wheels and clean them!

Too much road grime, brake dust and "stuff" on the wheel, couldn't clean them off. Strip the paint and go with a new color? I think, yes!

Why not throw in a pair of brand new tires while I'm at it?

It's starting to come together now!!

I didn't realize how banged up the fairings were, nothing that copious amounts of Bondo wont fix.

Primed and ready to paint.

Clear Coat time!

Starting to come together now. WOOT

It's almost done!! I just temporarily zip-tied the fairings on just to see what it would look like, still need the fairing brackets. But, those can come later. I'll just ride without fairings for a while, no biggie.

Outside for the first time after being in my garage for 5 months. :mrgreen:

Things I still need to do:
Find or fabricate the side brackets for the fairings.
Do the VR upgrade [no more money, broke college student lol.] <---hopefully soon.
Stickers/decals [I don't know where though].
And that's basically it!

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Harrysf707 on Fri May 24, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 FZR 600 w/ 92' front fairing swap, 520 conversion, Yoshimura R&D Exhaust, RaceTech springs.
Harrysf707
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: My FZR Build/restoration

Post by Harrysf707 »

Here's the gallery to more pictures I'll update it once I find the time :)
http://sdrv.ms/12AtG6m
1993 FZR 600 w/ 92' front fairing swap, 520 conversion, Yoshimura R&D Exhaust, RaceTech springs.
SikSaiNT
Site Newbie

Post by SikSaiNT »

i like it. great work. gave me a idea of what to do with my wheels. thx. where did you get the red striping for the lip?
1989 FRZ600 genisis 12,500mi
2005 Ram Hemi (Worked)
2001 BMW 740i M Sport
1987 Pontiac Firebird ( Show Car)
Harrysf707
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Harrysf707 »

SikSaiNT wrote:i like it. great work. gave me a idea of what to do with my wheels. thx. where did you get the red striping for the lip?
I got mine pre-cut off of ebay, It took a while to make it fit right:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Rim-Trim- ... 3cceb93b2f

Alternatively you can get the roll of pinstripe tape from cyclegear, it comes with a tool and I've heard it makes it a lot easier.
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Acce ... 977_102696
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

Nice job! It's always great to see a neglected bike brought back to life! :thumbsup:
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
SikSaiNT
Site Newbie

Post by SikSaiNT »

Harrysf707 wrote:
SikSaiNT wrote:i like it. great work. gave me a idea of what to do with my wheels. thx. where did you get the red striping for the lip?
I got mine pre-cut off of ebay, It took a while to make it fit right:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Rim-Trim- ... 3cceb93b2f

Alternatively you can get the roll of pinstripe tape from cyclegear, it comes with a tool and I've heard it makes it a lot easier.
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Acce ... 977_102696

thanks for the info. i appreciate it.
1989 FRZ600 genisis 12,500mi
2005 Ram Hemi (Worked)
2001 BMW 740i M Sport
1987 Pontiac Firebird ( Show Car)
FzrNick
Site Newbie

Post by FzrNick »

Don't waste your time or money with that pepboys stick on striping... Go see a local pinstriper, such as myself. Most of us guaranty their work agenst chips or cracks. If you dont know anyone who does striping, ask around at either a car show or a bike ralley. We are not that hard to hunt down! No to mention the outcome will be a million times better.