speedo cable/clocks help please

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

fzrowner1
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

speedo cable/clocks help please

Post by fzrowner1 »

my speedo keeps deciding to stop working and when it does the revs will not go over 13k th cables intacts all fited ok any ideas? even just to stop it retarding to 13k cheers
S.J.Hunter

Yamaha FZR400R 3EN2 1989
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Re: speedo cable/clocks help please

Post by pefrey »

The speedo is mechanical and the tach is electric and are not associated with each other. Your issues are independant of each other. What's the redline on the bike?
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

The two faults are connected..
The 3EN2 is a speed restricted motorcycle;112Mph (180 Kph).
In order for the restriction to work,a signal is sent from the speedometer to the TCI.
The TCI needs both a low speed signal and a high speed (112mph) signal to operate correctly.
If no low speed signal is received,the TCI restricts rpm to 12,500.
This is why problems occur when the machine is placed on a Dyno or has the speedo removed on track or race bikes.(or the cable breaks)
This may be overcome by;
A M-Max derestiction device.
Fitting a modified TCI unit.
Fitting a modified diode in place of the speedometer head.

The speedometer problem is usually traced to damaged tangs on the drive washer between the wheel and the speedo drive caused by incorrect refitting of the wheel,that is unless the speedo inner cable is damaged or worn.

Remove the speedo cable from the speedo head and hold the inner cable between finger and thumb whilst spinning the front wheel.
If the inner cable rotates without you being able to stop it,then the fault is with the speedo head, which is quite rare.

To cheaply and easily bypass the 112mph restriction;fit a mechanical kph to mph converter to the speedo cable which means that not only does the speedo read in mph but also the 180kph limit can not be reached.
Either the top fitting (blue) or the bottom fitting (gold) converter may be fitted to a 3EN2.

Hope this is of some small help. : :thumbsup:

The redline on a 3EN2 is 14,000 rpm as are all 1WG engines except the SP 2TK;15,500rpm.(lightened valvetrain and pistons,stronger rods)
Last edited by willandrip on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

If you have a 3en1 model or later it will have a Japanese speed restriction on it. These have 2 round headlights and air intakes in the top fairing.
If the CDI doesn't get a Zero signal from the speedo it will restrict the engine to 12.5k revs in all gears. There should be 4 wires coming out the back of the speedo make sure they're connected into the main loom.
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
fzrowner1
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzrowner1 »

willandrip
thankyou for your time? where could i get one of these converters? im in uk thankyou :) sean

evilchicken
the wires are all in the main loom it only plays up when speedo goes it went few weeks back for 2-3days then worked again abit random but heyho but th9is time it been almost a week and nothing :s cheers
sean
S.J.Hunter

Yamaha FZR400R 3EN2 1989
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Sean; here be speedo converters;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=s ... 53A1&_sc=1

Going rate is circa £20 (top -blue) or £35 (bottom -gold- scarce).

I know you were thinking of changing your handlebars and rear light set up,any updates ?
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
fzrowner1
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzrowner1 »

i got sent an artical saying theres only 24 fzr400rr's left on the road in the uk and the 3en2 is alot more scarce i though? so i though to myself why change what works? its comfy its pretty its a classic and if i have any respect for the bike i think she should stay original but today i had someone ring me saying they had a scorpion end can for an fzr so i said how much he said its brand new in the box used for about a month £30 so i bit his arm off and fitted it and its made the bike sound completley different it sounds as sweet as a nut now so happy with it im thinking about buying an fzr 1000 and street fightering that cheers sean
S.J.Hunter

Yamaha FZR400R 3EN2 1989
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

I saw that rubbish about how many were left also.
The info is taken from the DVLA website,who would not know their rse from their elbow!
Well done on keeping it standard.
End cans are a good mod and easy swapped back .
We were hoping for pics though !

fzrowner1
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzrowner1 »

ahh sorry friend! only decided recent and il never put any pics up of mine if i have to compete with that! wow i have fairing off mine have since brought it going to put it back on soon! cracked and missing in placed its a shame but finding decent second hand fairing is near on impossable! need my wheels sprayed soon aswell need new tyre need tank abn left fairing sprayed new mirrors and then them black (stole idea off yours) looks good i dont suppose you know colour codes do you? the red and white? and any tyre upgrades i can do? 140/60/18 64h as only bridgestone make them and there rather expensive and mine has only lasted 3000kmh! and where did your bobbins come from? and how come theres a small piece of seat fairing missing off yours? cheers sean
S.J.Hunter

Yamaha FZR400R 3EN2 1989
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

The bobbins are cheap Motrax ones that would fit any bike and are only on to help prevent mishaps in the garage.
The seat joining piece was missing when I purchased it and has since been replaced.
Putting pics up is not a competition;it provides reference,inspiration and often ideas for others!
The colour codes are on this forum somewhere;I think in the 600 section.
I know what you mean about tyres;that rear cost 25% of what I paid for the bike.
KaspenOne
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by KaspenOne »

i had a issue similar to this ended up being a blown igintion fuse lol
Sal Co-Owner of SisBro Motowerkz, Santa Maria
Pacific Coast Riderz -Vice President- Santa Maria Chapter
1996 Yamaha Fzr 600
UNI Air Filter, FP 1.0, R6 header danmoto exhaust,
Orbit Chain 530 with JT Sprocket Set -1 front/+2 rear
Racetech Front suspension
Bridgestone BT-014 120/70/17 & 150/60/18
http://www.facebook.com/Salvador.Leal.Jr
http://www.youtube.com/user/KaspenOne
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-C ... 9453630808 & http://www.facebook.com/pcr805
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Get a Pastex kit to stick the fairing together, it works a treat.
When you fit the speedo cable do the bottom on first make sure the cable locates then do the top. Again make sure the inner locates before you do it all up.

Glad to hear you're staying standard, its not a particularly radical riding position.
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
fzrowner1
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzrowner1 »

Well as there's not many I think it would be bad 2 ruin it! And got the scorpion can home looked in the paperwork and it has a life time gaurntee once I have all paints she will be all sprayed up again I think she will look amazing again old school beats new all day long! And I think that and I'm only 19! Don't get me wrong I want to do small mods like spraying bubble shield black and other odds and sods! Can I ask where did you get that small seat fairing from? Can't seem to find any middle of next year I'm having her dyno'd to be honest when the restricters are out I don't need anymore speed and do any of you know the easiest way to balance carbs? As went to before and couldn't do it! This 400 is my first real bike and I wouldn't change it for any modern bike. I love everything about the fzr.
S.J.Hunter

Yamaha FZR400R 3EN2 1989
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

The seat joining panel -3EN-24796-50-GE (silky white) is still available from Yamaha circa £45 Black is NLA.
You will struggle to find a used item.
fzrowner1
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzrowner1 »

Would the blue converter fit my bike? I mean is there enough room behind dials? Cheers
S.J.Hunter

Yamaha FZR400R 3EN2 1989