electrical problems

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

electrical problems

Post by ian »

Ok, I'm gonna try to make this brief. On my road trip last week, I ran my battery down by leaving it on while looking for something. Got it push-started no problem, and it started for me fine the next 2-3 times. Then it died again. Push started, and was ok for about 80 miles, then it quit on me. Had to push to a gas station, bought a new battery, wasn't able to charge it so I push started again with the new battery and used the engine to charge. That was saturday. I started her fine a few times since then, and today I started her fine, then got to the church to play racquetball, and when I cam out she wouldn't start. jumped her from a guy's tractor, got her home, immediately tried starting her again and she wouldn't go. I have her hooked up to the charger now...My dad thinks it is the rectifier. I'm thinking maybe the new battery didn't get a good enough first charge and I killed it too. Generator maybe? any help?
Thanks, for a country where nobody is allowed to mind his own business. Thanks, for a nation of finks.
- William Burroughs
haha this is awesome... probably the only addiction support group i have seen that supports the addiction!

Last words are for fools who haven't said enough.
- Karl Marx
Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: electrical problems

Post by Dr Rockso »

if you don't charge the battery before you put it into service you can mess up the battery , i'd take it off and charge it . hopefully no dammage to your new battery was done .
Got busted plastics ??? go here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=209
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

If it's one thing these bikes (among a lot of bikes made in the early to mid 90s) are known for is the rectifier (AKA VR) is just badly designed. One of a few things could be happening...Your VR may be bad and is not regulating the voltage flow to the rest of the electrical system or (as in my case) the connection between the VR and the rest of the electrical system has been some how cut off and you are solely running on the battery. My my2cents ? Consider doing the YZF (YZF600, R6,R1) VR upgrade. It takes less than a half hour to do.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ian wrote:Ok, I'm gonna try to make this brief. On my road trip last week, I ran my battery down by leaving it on while looking for something. Got it push-started no problem, and it started for me fine the next 2-3 times. Then it died again. Push started, and was ok for about 80 miles, then it quit on me. Had to push to a gas station, bought a new battery, wasn't able to charge it so I push started again with the new battery and used the engine to charge. That was saturday. I started her fine a few times since then, and today I started her fine, then got to the church to play racquetball, and when I cam out she wouldn't start. jumped her from a guy's tractor, got her home, immediately tried starting her again and she wouldn't go. I have her hooked up to the charger now...My dad thinks it is the rectifier. I'm thinking maybe the new battery didn't get a good enough first charge and I killed it too. Generator maybe? any help?
Ian,
the voltage across the battery with bike running should be about 13.7 - 14 volts at any rev range over idle.

the old style VR under the LH seat side cover panel is a tin pot with a rubber filling even if it is working NOW bin it and get a later yzf r1 r6 VR which are huge castings with fins on and the back filled with rubber see:-

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/vr.html

for picks and how I did mine
Please note that I mounted mine on a fresh base plate NOT the original plate

If you use the original plate you mount the VR thro 90 degrees and it works
Baghr
Site Newbie

Post by Baghr »

Good information here, it's well worth changing out the VR as already noted. Believe me, it will help you in the long run.

I have a device called a "Battery Tender" which essentially is a trickle charger that has the ability to not overcharge your battery, keeping it at a full state of charge. They have connectors that hook up the the terminals, and you can run it to a remote area that is easily accessible from the outside of your bike. It's a simple plug-in device that will save you many headaches, not to mention keep you battery in tip-top shape for many years.

I ALWAYS charge a new battery first before using it if I can, and if I don't ride the bike for more than a week, it goes back on the tender. Just a good habit to get into.
Baghr
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

So you guys don't think the gen is going bad? That's good news I guess. I'm looking into the VR, and the good thing about the battery is that I can exchange for a good one...just about the only thing walmart is good for. The reason I didn't charge before putting it into service is because I was at a gas station 2 hours from home, I didn't want to buy a charger, and I didn't want to sit there for the next 4 hours. anyways, we'll see how it works.
Thanks, for a country where nobody is allowed to mind his own business. Thanks, for a nation of finks.
- William Burroughs
haha this is awesome... probably the only addiction support group i have seen that supports the addiction!

- Karl Marx
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Yuasa YuMicron battery in mine is going on 6 years now. I'll probably get another one soon. They're quite expensive but a lot of Wal-Mart batteries you might only get 3 years out of them.
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
Baghr
Site Newbie

Post by Baghr »

I know this is somewhat anal, but I replace a battery when it hits five years old, regardless of its state of well being. Its either going to be replaced on its time schedule or mine, so I'd rather it be the latter. I was once told by a guy that appeared to be quite knowledgeable with batteries that anything over 5 years is pushing your luck, and I guess it has always stuck with me.

I will agree that the higher quality batteries will last longer than the cheapies. I've proven that theory myself.
Baghr
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

what do you guys think? Or should I go with the same brand but for an R6?
- William Burroughs

- Karl Marx
Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Dr Rockso »

i think you should get one off ebay where they're $20

edit ....hey wait , what year is your bike ? if it's 95 or newer it's already got the updated vr .
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

If you have a 95(?) Or newer then yeah you have the newer style VR. I wouldn't say it's your stator because the bike would probably not start at all. I think we have a charging system "check list" in the WIKI now and it's pretty spot on and I suggest going through that. Both of the VR's you picked would work as a replacement as well. Also if you haven't already get yourself a Clymer manual or a Haynes for the bike. They come in handy. Hope that helps.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

haha I've had the manual for a while...Yeah, my bike is a '98, but if the VR is shot I'm going to need a new one anyways. Damn electricity, why can't it be easier to diagnose electrical problems? :dubious:

Also, I have a bid on an R6 VR on ebay, but I'm wondering: do I need to get a new one or is used ok?
- William Burroughs

- Karl Marx
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Dr Rockso wrote:i think you should get one off ebay where they're $20

edit ....hey wait , what year is your bike ? if it's 95 or newer it's already got the updated vr .
Doc,
I hope Ian checks what I said about voltages first before laying out ANY money.

The only reason I mentiond VR is that they are a known bug on the early ones (see my description ) and even if he has al ater one installed it does not mean it is working correctly ( my bike had been VR swapped but was faulty ).

Ian do this old man a favour go check yer voltages FIRST Thanks
Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Dr Rockso »

what he said Agreed
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

alright, I'm doing so tomorrow asap. I'm too lazy to get up from my movie right now to go and do it right now
- William Burroughs

- Karl Marx