Am I getting into a hot mess?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

infinityplusone
Site Newbie

Post by infinityplusone »

So i found this 1997 fzr for sale on craigslist. Im up for a challenge for a project bike but being my first bike project, i dont want to get into a bad situation. Im mechanically inclined, patient and willing to get my hands dirty to bring a fzr to life but, this is my first bike. It will be a learn as I go process but please offer some insight, based on experience or general knowledge if I am opening Pandora s box. Im going to see it tomorrow. Not worried about physical appearance, just want to make it run sooner t than later. Thoughts....Image

Read the post below:

This is a 1997 Yamaha FZR 600 that i have for sale.

The push start and the motor turns over!

Need money for bills, and dont have enough money or the time anymore to fix this baby up.

Needs:

air filter

battery

side engine starter cover

wiring harness

if i push start it the engine turns over and wants to turn on.

Im sure the carbs and gas need cleaning too

I figure about 200-300$ in parts and it would be a nice toy for anyone!

Clear VIN number, dont have the title! Apply for a lost title for like 28$

This bike really doesnt need that much to get it running

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Am I getting into a hot mess?

Post by ragedigital »

No title... no purchase. I don't care how easy they say it is to title - it's not.

If you can buy it for $50, then you can sell the parts, but that bike looks toast. Wouldn't put a dime into it. Parting it out is the only option.

It has a single headlight from a 91/92 model. Those fairings are nearly impossible to come by. Those fairings alone will cost you $400 + shipping.

In my opinion - walk away....

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

looks like a parts bike, honestly by the time that one was in good running shape you could have bought one that already ran and had at least a tank cover and front fairing.

Plus I'd never buy anything without a title, he needs to spend the 28 dollars to get one if it's that cheap.

Plus those are 97 headlights, the single headlight was only done in 91-92.

The FZR is a great bike for a number of reasons, being cheap and easy to work on are the main draws. Down side is being cheap they're infamous for having hacks working on them. That one looks like it'd be worth more in parts than anything, it certainly looks like a "hot mess" to me
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

I'm bought my fair share of FZR's over the years and I wouldn't even begin to touch that one. Darrin is right, for 50 bucks maybe, but even then I'd be hesitant.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
DJStaticX
Site Newbie

Post by DJStaticX »

No way I'd buy it without a title. If it's so easy why hasn't he done it ? I dunno who was saying 200-300 to make it nice toy screwy You will spend way more than that for sure.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

thatkid wrote:I'm bought my fair share of FZR's over the years and I wouldn't even begin to touch that one. Darrin is right, for 50 bucks maybe, but even then I'd be hesitant.
Agreed
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
infinityplusone
Site Newbie

Post by infinityplusone »

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll be making a move on it. Need a project bike not a parts bike. Good advice about the title i've never done it so I had no idea the title would a challenge.
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

BAD!! bonkonhead

"If its so easy to get a title, why hasn't this guy done it already?" :headscratch: Exactly...

Honestly it's almost always less expensive to buy a well running bike; than to try and save money by buying a project bike.(unless you know for sure what the problem is; Example: I bought a 1981 GS650 once for $400; the guy said the transmission was making a bad noise. I test rode it and noted the chain was stretched in a few places which caused the noise.. Easy fix, good deal.)

Even a well running FZR is already a project bike,,, The newest ones are still like 15 years old... It is way funner to ride a motorcycle than it is to constantly try to fix it.

(if this is about money: keep in mind you can buy an FZR (or similar bike) for $2,000; and as long as you don't destroy it, you'll likely sell it later for atleast $1,000 maybe even $2,000)
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

Walk away.

That said, you have to be the legal owner of a bike to replace a "lost title". Ownership cannot be transferred without a title. Therefore the owner (assuming it's the seller) would have to replace the title through the "lost title" process, you (the buyer) cannot. Even if you have a bill of sale from the legal title owner, it's the title that effects the transfer of ownership. A bill of sale is just additional support.
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

Out of curiosity what was the asking price?
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

_Will_ wrote:Out of curiosity what was the asking price?
I saw the ad - the guy is asking $400.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

Wow