oil change, plugs, rear spring adjust

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

zed
Site Newbie

oil change, plugs, rear spring adjust

Post by zed »

Hello everyone,
I just bought my son an 1988 FZR400, after the hub bearings on his 200cc chinese special collapsed.
So, I downloaded parts of a service manual for the bike, and it says I must remove the exhaust runners to change the oil filter? Is this really necessary? Also, I see there are resistance specs for the plug caps - is there a reason why I can't use non-resistor plugs/caps and plug wires on this bike? Also, do I need a special tool to increase the preload on the rear spring, or can I make something up? thanks for any opinions
DonTZ125

Re: oil change, plugs, rear spring adjust

Post by DonTZ125 »

Hi, Zed - welcome to the madness!

I *THINK* the filter and housing can be removed and replaced with the pipes installed, but you'll get oil everywhere. Wrap aluminum foil around the headers for easier clean-up.

Resistor plugs, caps, and wires are all about RF noise suppression. Using all non-resistor items will result in so much RFI that the ignitor will malfunction. Aren't electronics great?!

There is a special tool for the shock, but a lot of people use a hammer and a punch.
zed
Site Newbie

Post by zed »

thankyou for the reply. I think I'll look for a proper tool for the spring - it would be a sin to stuff up such a classic machine with a punch!
Clanky
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Clanky »

I just changed my filter yesterday and it can quite easily be done with the pipes in place, just needs a bit of jiggling around but it was no great hassle. As Don said it could get a bit messy but a drip tray underneath the pipes and a rag over the top of them will take care of it. Drain the sump before taking the filter off and there won't be a lot oil to come out.