Am I Screwed?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

agodek
Site Newbie

Am I Screwed?

Post by agodek »

So out for a ride today, heard some ticking coming from the cylinders. got back to my house figuring it was the plug caps that had to be trimmed back on one or more. discovered that one of my plugs had come loose. so i get out the socket and try tightening it down but all it does is spin, never gets tight. thought i had it tight enough once, started the bike and it literally shot out of the hole. ive changed the plugs a few times always careful of threading them right by hand first. im assuming that the threads on the cylinder are stripped cause the plug looks fine. im going out to get new plugs right now and ill see if they tighten down but if it is the threads in the hole what are my options? and how can this happen all of a sudden?
Clanky
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Am I Screwed?

Post by Clanky »

You could take the head off and get a Helicoil type insert fitted or look for another head to swap over.

Don't know why it suddenly failed but maybe its been cross threaded in the past and the threads just finally gave out.
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

You are not screwed. Lots of people have used helicoil or thread-sert to repair damages threads to the spark plug hole. I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove the head to do it though.
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

Ugh, Bummer!~ +1 on the Helicoil insert...

Or, buy and rebuild a used head. Either way this seems like a Great Opportunity to Freshen up the Head and make your bike run like New Again!

A decent machine shop could do all this for you fairly easily.

Lemons out of Lemonade...
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
agodek
Site Newbie

Post by agodek »

Yeah ive heard of the heli-coil inserts and my old roommate works at a local machine shop, so i knew i wasnt screwed, but just ugh. guess ill be removing the head. it must have been cross threaded badly in its lifetime. at least my buddy just got a 2012 FZ8 that i can rip on while hes out of town for the next few week :headbang:
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

I used Heli-coil to installed a strip out exhaust stud once. Worked well. Stronger than the aluminum block ever was! HAHA!

You should definitely take this time work the head though; Check the Valve Clearances, Valve Springs, Valve Seats, Ect.. Cost you money, but the bike will run way better for a long time to come.

Either way keep us posted with the results of this.
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
agodek
Site Newbie

Post by agodek »

heres a little update. found a local cl sale of a fzr with a parts bike included. offered $250 for the whole engine including carbs of the parts bike, heres a link to the cl add
http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3037371165.html

Just wanted to get some opinions on if its a good deal for $250, i think it is. and also would it be worth it to just swap out the entire engine? or just do the head? the parts bike has about half the amount of miles as mine and i figured if i had to drop my motor i might as well, right? this'll be my first real engine work and whatever's the easiest is the way to go for me. thanks for the help. Ill post some pics when i get the garage all set up for the swap.
blensen
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by blensen »

It's a good deal at $250. If you're worried about engine work, I would just swap the engine wholesale provided it does run well. You'll find that it's easiest to remove the forks and rear wheel and just raise/lower the frame off of/onto the engine when you do your swap.
1994 FZR600: Hardly anything left stock
02 R6 Front End
Ducati M900 Seat/Taillight
Honda VFR750 Swingarm/Wheel
No Spacer 660
YZF600 Tank
Renthal Dirt Bars
Too much else...
agodek
Site Newbie

Post by agodek »

bought the motor, also got the carbs, airbox, gas tank, and coils for $250. seller said it ran strong before it was crashed into a guard rail about a month ago. got it all into my garage and up on the table only to discover that it too has f*ed up plug holes. pretty sh.tty luck. I even checked that the plugs were tight before buying thinking ha wouldnt that be funny... but once they were fully removed, 2 had been badly cross threaded :swear So now i have 2 engines that need new/heli-coiled heads banghead but looking on the bright side I have one on the bench already with one in the bike already. So best option here would be what? remove new head, fix the threads, and put it on the old engine that i wouldnt have to fully remove? or put it back on the new engine and totally swap them out? I guess once i get it apart i can see which one looks in better shape. but im sure ill be needing much help from all you guys.

also found this youtube. someone on here? not an fzr but close enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tdo8rFe ... =endscreen
Clanky
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Clanky »

Hi,

If you were happy with the old engine's performance I would just leave it in place and fix the original head (the head can removed and replaced with the engine still in the frame).

Keep the new engine as a spare or sell it on to recoup your costs.
agodek
Site Newbie

Post by agodek »

Would it be a bad idea to fix the new head(the one thats not on the bike) and replace the one on the bike with that? either way i have to take the head off the bikes engine, but since i have a whole motor already out i was thinking of just repairing that one and swapping heads.
blensen
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by blensen »

agodek wrote:Would it be a bad idea to fix the new head(the one thats not on the bike) and replace the one on the bike with that? either way i have to take the head off the bikes engine, but since i have a whole motor already out i was thinking of just repairing that one and swapping heads.
That's what I would do. If you already have a low-mileage motor out of the frame why mess with the one you've got in the frame? It's going to be easier to work on out of the frame.
02 R6 Front End
No Spacer 660
YZF600 Tank
Renthal Dirt Bars
Too much else...
agodek
Site Newbie

Post by agodek »

what i figured
agodek
Site Newbie

Post by agodek »

update. used the head from the new motor, drilled out all 4 plug holes, tapped and heli-coiled, came out perfect. Painted the cylinders and head flat black, along with the stator cover and peanut. waiting on some gaskets, o-rings, front sprocket lock washer thing and some other misc parts from bikebandit. then i just put it all back together and start it right up, right? :cheers: anything i should be careful/aware of? do i need a piston ring clamp to get them back in the cylinders? i was thinking have two buddies hold a piston while i slide it on, then the next two. what else should i do while its apart thats cheap and easy? valve clearances are on the list. im pretty confident with following the manual and torquing to specs, but i know theres plenty of experts here that can make my life easier and most likely prevent future headaches. as always thanks
blensen
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by blensen »

If you have friends helping you it'll be a piece of cake. I put the jugs back on my pistons when I was building my 660 by myself. As long as you follow the manual and do your valves you should be golden.
02 R6 Front End
No Spacer 660
YZF600 Tank
Renthal Dirt Bars
Too much else...