FZR Winter Tinkering

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Nunya_Binnez
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: FZR Winter Tinkering

Post by Nunya_Binnez »

Gizzard1533 wrote:My supplier didn't stock them, i paid 180 quid for my tyres which is the cheapest i've seen them around. I never used avons so cant put a judgement on them. Are the available in the UK?
I've heard nothing but good things about them, but I haven't even mounted mine yet so I am forced to reserve judgment.

Find an Avon Dealer

There are some dealers in the UK...there were several in the CB5 area (don't know your postcode so I just used Cambridge as a starting point).

Hope this is useful.

NDB
1993 FZR600 (Currently doing a frame-off buildup)
Nunya's '93 Resto-mod Build [TMI?]

"When life gives you lemons...you probably just FOUND lemons." - Bo Burnham
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

the closest registered dealer on that site in 49kilometers away (about 25 miles).

I may have a look into the Avons, I wasn't really keen on avon when i saw the tyre my supplier had in, it was the road rider, looks like summit you'd put on a harley.

What price did you pay for your tyres?? and what sizes did you get??
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by SouthendChris »

I put a set of AM26 road rider/runner (??) tires on my Yammy 350YPVS. In my opinion they were just as good as if not better than the BT45's in the dry, couldn't comment on rain riding.

And Avon are a UK manufacturer so you would hope they were available in blighty lol

Chris
1990 3LN3 FZR250 - back in safe hands :)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5782/227 ... 41e9_b.jpg
1994 3HE FZR600 - R.I.P. 10/01/12

3x RG80 Gamma :)
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

BT45's are what put me off bridgestones, but running the bt010's on the fzr changed my mind, but i will still never touch 45's again. Yeah i remembered that after i posted it but forgot to edit it lol
Nunya_Binnez
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Nunya_Binnez »

Gizzard1533 wrote:What price did you pay for your tyres?? and what sizes did you get??
I bought mine from motorcycle-superstore.com and paid about $330 USD for the set.

The sizes I am running were actually recommended by Avon for the FZR, and were 110/70ZR-17 for the front and 150/70ZR-18 for the rear. They are a sexy set of rubbers.

The Storm 2 Ultra (AV55) is a Multi-compound tire (softer/stickier at the edges and harder/longer wearing in the center), so theoretically mileage is increased, but not at the expense of handling. More Info

Am I starting to sound like an Avon salesman?

NDB

Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Nunya_Binnez wrote:
Gizzard1533 wrote:What price did you pay for your tyres?? and what sizes did you get??
I bought mine from motorcycle-superstore.com and paid about $330 USD for the set.

The sizes I am running were actually recommended by Avon for the FZR, and were 110/70ZR-17 for the front and 150/70ZR-18 for the rear. They are a sexy set of rubbers.

The Storm 2 Ultra (AV55) is a Multi-compound tire (softer/stickier at the edges and harder/longer wearing in the center), so theoretically mileage is increased, but not at the expense of handling. More Info

Am I starting to sound like an Avon salesman?

NDB
That works out to be about 30 quid more than i paid for the BT014's, if i can find a decent supplier i may look into those when the 014's run out on me. Cheers for the heads up about them :thumbsup:
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Well had a bit of mishap today, when assembling the swinger I forgot to fit the chain. so today i wanted to take thr swinger out and fit the chain. Well i got the swinger out and tried to pass the chain over the swinger, well i didn't even think about the brace getting in the way did I, no its only stopping me from having an easy life, so now i have to split the chain and do it the long way. With the tool out I decided to lay up the tank and seat panels on the bike just as a little taster....

On a plus side my new rubber arrived today :D

Nice set of BT014's to try out :D
Nunya_Binnez
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Nunya_Binnez »

Your chain doesn't have a master link?

NDB

Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Nunya_Binnez wrote:Your chain doesn't have a master link?

NDB
No mate, one of those pain in the arse soft rivet links. Angle grinder time, no way im sitting there with a hacksaw cutting the link out! lol
Nunya_Binnez
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Nunya_Binnez »

Gizzard1533 wrote:No mate, one of those pain in the arse soft rivet links. Angle grinder time, no way im sitting there with a hacksaw cutting the link out!
WEAK! :yuck:

Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Nunya_Binnez wrote:
Gizzard1533 wrote:No mate, one of those pain in the arse soft rivet links. Angle grinder time, no way im sitting there with a hacksaw cutting the link out!
WEAK! :yuck:
What the link???
Nunya_Binnez
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Nunya_Binnez »

The situation. What a PITA.

NDB

Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Nunya_Binnez wrote:The situation. What a PITA.

NDB
Yeah you know, I got the chain when i bought my new engine, i've now got the task of finding out whether its a 520 or 525 chain as well, hopefully its stamped on the links :thumbsup:
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Well pay day was yesterday so the fzr got treated once again, i ordered everything i need to get the bike back on the road, including tax, 6 months for under 30 quid, now thats a result, apart from i taxed a car at work for a year and that only cost them 30 quid!!! Anyways today I got yet another solid day on the bike and got everything virtually sorted, only things remaining are, bleed the brakes, fit the silencer, fit the chain, plug in the voltage regulator and finally fit the bodywork, so nice and easy :thumbsu:

Once again i forgot to take photos but to be honest all it would of been was me bolting things up so nothing exciting. I got the wheels fitted, but ran into a bit of snag with the rear wheel. the way the guy had bent the box section for the brace, the way it sat meant if rubbed up against the sprocket carrier bolts, however this was no biggy and a quick grinding session saw the bolts shaved down enough to clear the brace. This sent ideas flying around my head about the chain rubbing, but i couldn't quite picture it right in my head. Now both the wheels are mounted i set out mounting the exhaust headers, got these mounted up no problem. This got me going and wanting to try and start her, at first she didn't look promising, lots of suction, coughing and spluttering, but ulitmately no firing, i thought it wasn't gonna go well. I decided to cover the carb inlets with my hand moving from one to the other whilst cranking the engine and its was wanting to start. A little more cranking and the bike decided it wanted to piss its self, all of a sudden there was about 500 ml of petrol come out the exhaust and then swiftly followed by her firing up. My god it felt good, few teething problems with the fueling, i.e. It holds the revs for too long before dropping back down to idle and the carbs need balancing but other than that its all looking promising :D.

Heres a picture of how shes sitting right now :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

what you reckon???
cowboi
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by cowboi »

Looking good. Keep up the good work.

sent from a portable leash
When all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth......S.Holmes

78 CB750A
96 FZR600R
00 YZF R1
04 YZF R6