Bike seems to bog down while riding

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Nik
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Bike seems to bog down while riding

Post by Nik »

ng86 wrote:So basically what the wiki is saying, is that I should find some velocity stacks to connect my carbs to my k & n's? Can it really be that simple?
Ng,
Yes it is that simple, when Y-G was here last summer, we used PVC plumbing pipe slid inside the original air box connecting rubbers. The idea being the rubber at the lower end clamps to the carb as normal BUT the PVC pipe sticks up beyond the rubber at the top so the pod clamps to that.Y_G took about an hour & a half to cut the PVC to length and fit the pods and Synch the carbs when assembled.

He is a bit ticked off as he had done this regularly back in the late 70's and '80's (there is a picture of his RD "Blue Streak" on his site that shows it back in the '80's fitted with stacks) and had completely forgotten the trick and then remembered it late in the day when he read here that guys with pods were struggling to get the tuning right.

Other people have used another air related gadget to tune as well called a FLOW commander<?>
Your call .............
W.F O
Nik H.
There are two kinds of posts on Forums.
1. This is what I have done...
2. This is what I think...
Be aware of the difference!
nortstudio
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by nortstudio »

Seems like these guys have you covered, I'll be serious to see where you end up with all this.

Make sure you keep checking the plugs though - they basically let you know what's happening in there. Sorta like the whole "window to the soul" deal. :)

This link has decent pics.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_suppo ... aqread.asp
http://motopreserve.com is a blog about wrenching on bikes in Brooklyn.

1993 FZR 600. A work in progress...
ng86
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by ng86 »

I'll let you guys know how it goes, I do have a question though. Is it possible to make my own airbox rubbers? I never had an airbox so I don't have the stock rubbers. What size PVC? Anyone have a link or a wiki?

Thanks guys!
1992 Fzr 600 - Airtech Tail, K&N Twin Filters, Aftermarket Chopped Exhaust, Custom Blinkers (Lol)
CRG Bar End Mirror, R6 Front MC and Calipers
Soon To Come (aka wish-list) R6 Front Forks, YZF Rear Swingarm, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Stage 3 Jet Kit, and New Emulsion Tubes
ng86
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by ng86 »

nortstudio wrote:Seems like these guys have you covered, I'll be serious to see where you end up with all this.

Make sure you keep checking the plugs though - they basically let you know what's happening in there. Sorta like the whole "window to the soul" deal. :)

This link has decent pics.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_suppo ... aqread.asp
Like I said previously, the first 3 plugs look like they're okay, but the 4th seems to be black, it may be carbon or oil not sure. What does that mean?
1992 Fzr 600 - Airtech Tail, K&N Twin Filters, Aftermarket Chopped Exhaust, Custom Blinkers (Lol)
Soon To Come (aka wish-list) R6 Front Forks, YZF Rear Swingarm, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Stage 3 Jet Kit, and New Emulsion Tubes
nortstudio
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by nortstudio »

Typically, if it's black carbon buildup, but dry, that would indicate running rich on that cylinder. If its wet, you are not igniting the fuel fully in that cylinder.

If the other 3 plugs are "okay," meaning a nice tan color, then the sync is possibly off.

ng86
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by ng86 »

nortstudio wrote:Typically, if it's black carbon buildup, but dry, that would indicate running rich on that cylinder. If its wet, you are not igniting the fuel fully in that cylinder.

If the other 3 plugs are "okay," meaning a nice tan color, then the sync is possibly off.
What if its wet but it's not fuel, it's oil? Would that be rings?
nortstudio
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by nortstudio »

Sorry, I meant oil. There are times when the wet (oil) can mean bad rings or valves too (I think). But I would maybe give a shot at another sync before you panic. Someone with more FZR experience will probably be along here in a minute.... :)

I am lucky to have a 4 dial sync tool (not sure if your friends is) which makes the 4 cylinder engines a little less annoying - in that you don't remove or change anything until you know all 4 are correct.

If you used a 2 dial type, which I believe the homemade from this forum is, it won't tell you if one move on a carb effected the last ones you tested.

ng86
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by ng86 »

It is a 4 dial type, I was under the impression that I could only do 2 at once for some reason. I guess I'll do all 4 at once and see if that makes a difference. Thanks
nortstudio
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by nortstudio »

I don't want to lead you astray here. I have not gotten to a sync on the FZR yet (doing it as soon as I get all te fairings painted, which is taking forever!!!!). But I have done arb sync a TON on other 4 cylinders, and have always had a bit of tweaking to do on previous carb after moving on to the next ones.

On old Hondas the 1&2 are connected, and 3&4 are connected - but they all interact, requiring slighter and slighter tweaks until they all look good. I always do a bench sync beforehand (because I would have had them off for cleaning), and hope that I'm in the ball park.

Double check to make sure all air mixture screws are the same (ask me how frustrating it is to sync and THEN find out you forgot that step!). Then fire away. Make sure to always blip throttle and wait for RPM to settle before making the next adjustment - or you will end up chasing your tail.

Good luck!

Nik
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Nik »

ng86 wrote:I'll let you guys know how it goes, I do have a question though. Is it possible to make my own airbox rubbers? I never had an airbox so I don't have the stock rubbers. What size PVC? Anyone have a link or a wiki?

Thanks guys!
Ng,
http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=pod-tuning
W.F O
Nik H.
There are two kinds of posts on Forums.
1. This is what I have done...
2. This is what I think...
Be aware of the difference!
ng86
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by ng86 »

Well, now I'm a step back. She won't start, just keeps cranking. Maybe it was the 55 degree weather haha which isn't even that cold.
Nick Howe
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Nick Howe »

You also could have emulsion tube wear, made worse if you cleaned them with anything like a metal guitar string (I did this and had the same problem you have, I replaced the emulsion tubes and it ran fine)
There are no small days.