It's gonna huuuuuuuurt!!!!!!!!!.......

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

It's gonna huuuuuuuurt!!!!!!!!!.......

Post by SouthendChris »

It is with great sadness that I have to report the demise of what was a great bike, my '94 FZR600. Tuesday evening on my way home from work an oncoming car decided to turn right into a sideroad. He told the police he never saw me..... I hit his passenger rear quarter at about 50mph and was thrown over the back of his car. My only serious injury is a smashed right wrist. I have some gravel rash and a bit of bruising. I consider myself lucky thats it, but I feel more sad for the bike
:swear

I have told the insurance co that I want to buy the salvage as I will part out the good bits to stop them just getting crumpled. The police are 100% behind me in seeing that it was the other guys fault so alls good on that front. Ah well at least I still have the 400 to satisfy my FZR craving :duh:

Chris
1990 3LN3 FZR250 - back in safe hands :)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5782/227 ... 41e9_b.jpg
1994 3HE FZR600 - R.I.P. 10/01/12

3x RG80 Gamma :)
fizzer6hundred
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: It's gonna huuuuuuuurt!!!!!!!!!.......

Post by fizzer6hundred »

Dude the last LAST thing I would be concerned about is the bike. Its good your injuries are relatively minor but the wrist is a very complicated machine and you need it. I hope it heals well for you. The bike shit...you can still buy some real nice ones for cheap....I have several on Craigslist a few miles away in pristine condition for $2K. The wrist you will need for the rest of your life make DAM sure you get that taken care of correctly upfront AND make sure that person pays for all your suffering and damages.
1994 FZR 600 White/Blue/Yellow. Been stored for several years and had 12K miles on it now. Working to get it back on the road.

Located in Phoenix AZ
Clanky
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Clanky »

Chris,

Glad you came away without any serious injury to yourself. I hope the insururers sort things out quickly.

Real shame about the bike.

Nige
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Chris mate, sorry to hear about your off and like others say, make sure that wrist of yours heals to maximum achievable health, you'd be surprised how much one uses their wrist. Take time to heal correctly and recover. The bikes just another everyday object and can be replaced. Chin up, and all the best.
FZRDave91
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by FZRDave91 »

Wow, that's pretty ugly. I am glad you got away from it with as little harm as you did. Any accident you could walk away from wasn't as bad as it could have been. Hopefully the cager that pulled out in front of you is now more aware of motorcyclists and will watch more cautiously.
1991 FZR600 w/ YZF VR Upgrade, Twin Headlight conversion
1981 XS400 Cafe build.
Can't ya tell I like Yamahas?
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Meh, Mop and a tea cut and it's good as new. :rofl: Glad you lived to talk about it.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

SouthendChris wrote:It is with great sadness that I have to report the demise of what was a great bike, my '94 FZR600. Tuesday evening on my way home from work an oncoming car decided to turn right into a sideroad. He told the police he never saw me..... I hit his passenger rear quarter at about 50mph and was thrown over the back of his car. My only serious injury is a smashed right wrist. I have some gravel rash and a bit of bruising. I consider myself lucky thats it, but I feel more sad for the bike
:swear

I have told the insurance co that I want to buy the salvage as I will part out the good bits to stop them just getting crumpled. The police are 100% behind me in seeing that it was the other guys fault so alls good on that front. Ah well at least I still have the 400 to satisfy my FZR craving :duh:

Chris
Chris,
Glad you walked away!

As for the driver nail the SOB for everything clothes cabs to/from doctor hospital etc loss of earnings etc as well as replacment cost of the bike (since the insurance will want to write it off )

Ask you doctor about the scaphoid bone in your wrist if it has been damaged it is the dice shaped one at the base of the thumb and the ONLY bone that has only one blood supply to it if it is cracked right through the bit with no lood feed will wither & die and will leave you with a very wonky wrist..

I have been lucky I busted both of mine over the years and they healed nicely but I had a mate in the US that had to have the bone cut and pinned for it to grow back as one end was not healing and the open "crack" was shutting as it repaired it self making the the broken bit move away & not sealing to the good bit.
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by SouthendChris »

Well George it seems I bust more than just the wrist. One of my forearm bones splintered where it meets the wrist. I now have a 7 or 8" long plate in my arm screwed to the hand and forearm bones to stop me using the wrist joint. That will be in for 12 - 16 weeks and should allow the splintered arm bone to heal (crossed fingers on my left hand :whistle )

Luckily I was fully comp and had legal insurance etc. The lawyers/bloodhounds are on the case! The other driver pretty much admitted liability to the police who turned up on the scene. I hope it all goes smoothly.

I am just gutted that being my wrist, I cannot move any further on with my 400 project even though I have the next 3 - 5 weeks at home banghead

Chris

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

SouthendChris wrote: I am just gutted that being my wrist, I cannot move any further on with my 400 project even though I have the next 3 - 5 weeks at home banghead

Chris
SC,
well I am glad the legal buzzards are working for you , as to not being able to work on the bike,that is a feeling I know well mine has watched me for 18 months so far and it is just 10ft away in the lounge so it watches me as I watch the TV. NOT NICE !
old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

Glad to hear your ok! I've taken that flight before (over the boot) not fun.. Now the good news, Time for a
new bike!
NO FZR :(
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by SouthendChris »

old_school wrote:Glad to hear your ok! I've taken that flight before (over the boot) not fun.. Now the good news, Time for a
new bike!
Well my FZR400R project should be a little better than I was originally intending it to be lol I will be able to spend a bit more on paint at the least!!!! Pics will follow in time.

WOOT

pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

I'm glad you are alive and relatively OK.

BTW it does not matter what the driver said to the Police, it matters what they say under oath. Did the Police cite them with any violations? If not you are off to a bad start. You will be surprised to find out how much a story can change given time to think and reflect. They will claim under oath that they were in shock and confused at the scene.

Also, lawyers cost money. They may work for free now, but they are going to take a huge chunch of your settlement. They are not working for you, they are working for themselves.

I'm not trying to bum you out, just keep yourself on top of things and make sure you understand fully what is going on, especially when it comes to your Doctor.

Good luck.
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

P.S. That'll buff out.

:mrgreen:
old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

pefrey wrote:P.S. That'll buff out.

:mrgreen:
We need a LIKE button. :)
NO FZR :(
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by SouthendChris »

Well had a few updates today. The insurance assesor rang and they have written the bike off as a Category B. This means it can never be put back on the road, this may make it a pain in the *ss to keep hold of the salvage.

Also the police officer who attended the scene of the accident popped by to give me an update as I hadn't heard from them. The driver admits all liability. In his statement he said he *did* see my oncoming headlights but thought he had time to get across to his side road. :yikes: They are going through the motions of prosecuting him for careless driving. They are also looking at taking his licence from him. He is over 70 and the police see him as a danger to other motorists (no sh*t sherlock!).

Oh, and after aprox 5seconds I gave up with the T-cut & buffer lol

Chris