VR Mod - Question about earth lead (Done - Pics added)

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Clanky
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

VR Mod - Question about earth lead (Done - Pics added)

Post by Clanky »

Began to prep my bike today to fit the later style voltage regulator. The old one had a burnt connector when I took it off so it definately needed doing.

I have a new loom to fit (original has been truly hacked over the years) and I will use the parts of old loom to make an extension using connector blocks to plug into the new VR.

I am unsure of the best/safest way to earth the new VR. The new VR has it's own dedicated earth pin:

Should I wire the VR's earth terminal directly into new the loom using the lead that previously went to an earth point on the VR mounting plate and then run a seperate dedicated earth from the mounting plate to the engine block earth?

or

Earth the VR plate to the loom and run a seperate earth lead from the VR to the engine block.

Does it matter how I do it just so long at it is properly earthed somehow?

The old set up

The new VR test fit

and

Thanks for any advice
Last edited by Clanky on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: VR Mod - Question about earth lead

Post by Gizzard1533 »

I drilled a hole into my subframe to earth the new vr its perfectly safe and works well for the job.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

I would run a decent gauge wire from the VR's ground pin all the way down to the main chassis ground buss (where the battery's negative lead goes-either the frame inside the swingarm pivot{early models} , or better yet an engine case bolt{late model style} )

having the wire ' y ' so that it grounds at the VR mount point as well provides for some measure of redundancy in case the main wire fails is not a bad idea.

These VRs are 'shunt type' meaning that they route excess voltage(shunt) to ground to get rid of it. ANY resistance in this path causes the VR (and stator leads)to heat excessively. The problem with grounding to the plate the VR is mounted to-which is then mounted to the subframe and then having to make it's way to the main chassis buss and back to the battery introduces a number of bolted connections-some in varying metals..all of which are subject to electrolytic corrosion.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
lamer
Site Newbie

Post by lamer »

Clanky wrote: I have a new loom to fit (original has been truly hacked over the years) and I will use the parts of old loom to make an extension using connector blocks to plug into the new VR.
If you already didn't know, the 6 pin plug/socket from the flasher relay/unit is a perfect fit for you VR upgrade, chop it outa the old loom & use it. It's been soooo long since I did my upgrade I cant remember if I used 12 or 14 awg wires (the lower the better) nor what female spades I used (they were 6.4 mm or so) anyways I found a photo that uses the flasher relay/unit plug/socket in question :yikes: All I can add is this set up works fine nooo problem's what so ever, if the main fuse blows damn I can even remove it, my VRR will live another day :grinnod:

Most things can be fixed "stupid" is unfortunately beyond repair
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by SouthendChris »

As Lamer says, the connector from the flasher unit is a direct fit into the R6 reg/rec device. I used a set of end cutters to destroy the original 3HE connector but leave all the metal connectors in place. These then clicked into place in the flasher connector block. I fashioned the new Earth connector with two wires. One to just behind it and the second to an unused bolt hole for the rear footrest hanger. I did not have to cut or modify any wires from the original loom.

All working A OK as they say now.

I smeared the back of the reg/reg with a light coating of copper grease to help heat conduct to the ali holder/bracket.

Chris
1990 3LN3 FZR250 - back in safe hands :)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5782/227 ... 41e9_b.jpg
1994 3HE FZR600 - R.I.P. 10/01/12

3x RG80 Gamma :)
Clanky
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Clanky »

Thanks for all the help I feel a lot more comfortable tackling this now. Just didn't want to assume and fry a new VR.

I'll hopefully get this done over the coming weekend.

Cheers
Clanky
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: VR Mod - Question about earth lead (Done - Pics added)

Post by Clanky »

Thanks for all the advice. Finished mine now and I'm happy with it.

Ran a dedicated earth/ground lead from the VR pin to the engine block. Put the earth terminal from the loom directly against the frame sandwiched behind the VR plate, thought it would help give a solid earth to the frame.

I'm replacing the loom with a new one so I used parts of the old loom to add the wiring and connectors for the mod.

ImageImage