FZR Winter Tinkering

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

FZR Winter Tinkering

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Well as some of you may of seen, I had my last ride of the season on the fzr yesterday and decided it was time to take it off the road and do some work to it over the winter. I've given myself until may next year to get it finished, this should allow me plenty of time to get it finished.

Yesterday I got the FZR up onto its new home (the old dears patio)

So today i had a spare few hours to start work on the bike, but before i could start working on the bike itself i had to clean out the shed and make room for all the parts that will need to be stored in there. I managed to clear enough of the floor space to leave me plenty of room and even sorted out a few extras to keep me entertained whilst out there on the cold winter days....

Heres the extras ;)

Music and beer what else is needed???

With the shed all cleaned out and space created I set to work on the bike. So far I've taken off the side panels and have cleaned them and wrapped them up and put away (sorry no pictures). I then set about taking the front off the bike, I removed everything that i could get to for now, hopefully gonna start removing the rear tomorrow and the wiring loom. wont be able to do much more than that as I've got to source some paddock stands to enable me to fully strip her down.

With the time to tidy up drawing closer I've left the bike looking like this (she's now under a cover, as stil waiting for the gazebo)

I shall get some more pictures as the project goes on. But its still early days yet :)
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: FZR Winter Tinkering

Post by SouthendChris »

Nice! You got any mods planned or just make good/service work??

I got a long list of things to do but commute on mine so it's all bitesize chunk stuff. R6 reg/rec is first on the cards then changing all the bulbs in the clocks. After that then the fork oil needs changing - it's the only fluid I haven't changed yet.

Are the blue wires coming from the frame for the headlight?? I have got to fit a UK headlight to mine at some point.

Chris
1990 3LN3 FZR250 - back in safe hands :)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5782/227 ... 41e9_b.jpg
1994 3HE FZR600 - R.I.P. 10/01/12

3x RG80 Gamma :)
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Yeah I'm getting the frame powder coated black along with the wheels and fork legs.
Possibly an R6 arse end.
H.I.D headlights.
Full respray in alpine white.
Got a full R6 front brake system on its way.
Stainless headers with a new can.
Double bubble screen.
Suspension refurb and uprate.

Thats it for now unless i think of something else.

The blue wires are indeed for the headlight, had to use the funky blue colour after its rewire.

I've done the R6 reg/rec upgrade and its definately worth doing mate. Its such a simple yet worth while upgrade.
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by SouthendChris »

Now that sounds like a full rebuild not winter 'tinkering'!!

I am doing the same to a 3TJ FZR400 I managed to pick up cheap. Going to be stripping it down soon. Frame, forks, yokes going to be satin black. Wheels and bodywork going to be white. I seem to collecting parts faster than doing the work at the moment though!! Just picked up an 07 R6 rear shock yesterday evening.

Hopefully the FZR4 will look something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200679787100

Eventually a 600 lump will find it's way in :shocker

Chris

Stranglerman
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Stranglerman »

SouthendChris wrote:Now that sounds like a full rebuild not winter 'tinkering'!!

I am doing the same to a 3TJ FZR400 I managed to pick up cheap. Going to be stripping it down soon. Frame, forks, yokes going to be satin black. Wheels and bodywork going to be white. I seem to collecting parts faster than doing the work at the moment though!! Just picked up an 07 R6 rear shock yesterday evening.

Hopefully the FZR4 will look something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200679787100

Chris
Are you on the 400greybike site mate lots of info on there regarding 400/600 upgrades.
Stranglerman
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Stranglerman »

[quote="Gizzard1533"]Yeah I'm getting the frame powder coated black along with the wheels and fork legs.
Possibly an R6 arse end.
H.I.D headlights.
Full respray in alpine white.
Got a full R6 front brake system on its way.
Stainless headers with a new can.
Double bubble screen.
Suspension refurb and uprate.

Alpine White bodywork, Black frame etc, what's this to match your boots????????? What about the engine????? We doin what we talked about?????
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Na its too match the storm trooper leathers i've brought.......LOL..... Yeah im still replacing the head with the other one, gonna look into port and polishing. the engines getting a full rebuild.
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

SouthendChris wrote:Now that sounds like a full rebuild not winter 'tinkering'!!

Chris
You could call it that but when you've built up a race car this id just tinkering lol.

Sounds like a good plan that mate. Wouldn't mind R6 front and rear suspension but trying to do this on a budget and the front end alone would put me right over budget!
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Well i managed to get a few hours on the FZR this morning before having to think about going to work again. I set out today with the intention of getting the rear end stripped and the wiring loom taken out. With the rear stripped I was able to gain access to the majority of the electrics, so began stripping those off marking each one as i went.

After i had stripped the rear end, i had to remove the fuel tank, fuel pump and carbs to gain access to the top half of the wiring loom. With this removed it was a case of just unplugging the multiblock connectors as i go. I finally managed to get the wiring loom unplugged and fully removed

These two jobs took the majority of my time today so have left the bike looking like this...

Tomorrow I hope to get the fluids drained and remove the exhaust system. I'm hopefully ordering my paddock stands today if the bank funds allow it, this should then enable me to begin taking the engine out followed by the wheels.

I've got half a tank of fuel in the fuel tank, is it worth draining it or filling it up to the brim???
SouthendChris
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by SouthendChris »

Well I'm just glad that there are places online such as this to get hints / tips / advice etc. I wouldn't say I'd be lost but it would take three or four times as long to get to the same result. I have especially liked the page with the head bearing sizes and bikes that share them.

I know what you mean about budget but be patient and you can find stuff for reasonable money. The R6 shocker stands me in £54! I just got an alloy exhaust bracket for my 600 for £4 aswell. R6 yokes and R1 forks are next on my 'to find' list - they can wait though.

I got a coupla weeks off over the Christmas holidays so I hope to get the 400 stripped and a few bits done on the 600.

This is as I picked it up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Firstly I need to find a powder coater experienced in bike frames, swingarms etc etc......

Good luck with the build mate, would love to see the finished bike.

reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Nice on the color combo...

Sounds very much like mine.

Mine is late 90's Cadillac Pearl white metallic. Black frame, swinger, wheels fork legs.

The only color is the Ohlins yellow spring on the R6 shock and the (not in picture) blue dot R6 calipers.

"YAMAHA" under the front lights, the tuning forks above the tailight. people ask me if it's european on a regular basis.

http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Thats a very nice example of an FZR and i must say i love it. its the exact image i have of what i want mine to look like. Although i've been toying with the idea of having the red decals painted on it black just to add a bit more depth to it.
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Well I managed to get a solid 3 hours in with the bike, with the intention of just getting the fluids drained from the bike (oil and coolant) but i ended up getting much more than that done. I finished stripping the rear end, got rid of the undertray and rear light, the rearsets, rear brake system, took apart the cooling system, took off the chain guard, and removed the complete exhaust system.

When i drained the cooling system I was pleasently surprised to see that the colour of the coolant was the same as when i put it back in....

Whilst the coolant was draining i proceeded to remove the undertray, no pictures im afraid as it was out in under 30 seconds, total of 4 bolts.

WIth the coolant drained i proceeded to disassemble the cooling system, I only managed to get one photo which is of the filler neck, this is so i know where the pipes go when reassembling time comes.

With that out the way i set about draining the oil, however to give myself more space I removed the exhaust system.

As i wasn't able to warm the oil up before draining it took longer than expected to whilst this was happening i proceeded to remove the rearsets and rear brake system.

With all this removed the oil had finished draining, i decided to take of the chain guard, as I was removing this i was thinking that if I'm putting all this effort into the bike it would be a shame to just bung a black plastic chain guard back on so had a little thought and was wondering if it would be possible to make a replica of the current one out of stainless steel or something similiar???

This is the ugly plastic one...

That made out of stainless with a design cut into in the side of it, was what i was thinking???

With all this work done Im unfortunately unable to do anything else until the paddock stands arrive as the bike is on its side stand and the frame rails is where the side stand attaches to, also the weather gave way and rain started to fall so I've packed up with the bike looking like this...

Work will be slow over the next few days until the paddock stands arrive, but thats it for now.
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

Looks like you're off to a good start

Note to self: Don't drink Gizzard's Dr. Pepper
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Fizzinatorr wrote:Looks like you're off to a good start

Note to self: Don't drink Gizzard's Dr. Pepper
Yeah its going better than i thought it would, i thought with it being a 20 year old bike i'd run in to a fair few tough nuts and bolts but so far its been a pleasure to work on with only three bolts snapping on me.

I got it up on the rear paddock stand yesterday. Gotta get the front up on the stand but not sure how to use the front one, anyone care to shed some light on this? The stand has 2 prongs either side where the bottom of the fork legs should sit but the both appear to wide and look as if the fork leg would just slide through the middle??? May have to ask the father for advice....