Valve trouble

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

basstracker
Site Newbie

Valve trouble

Post by basstracker »

So I have a 90 fzr 1000 and one of the valves was getin stuck colliding with the piston so I replaced the valve reassembled it did the timing and started the bike only to hear the same sound, banging metal from the cylinder head! anyone have a clue whats goin on?
coreo19
Site Newbie

Re: Valve trouble

Post by coreo19 »

were the valve clearances good? and how many miles are on the bike. did you check the valve spring on that valve when you had it out
Nik
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Nik »

check for ALL spring lengths being in Spec, that the seats are clean and that there is NO nick or burr binding the stems and the valves are straight.
W.F O
Nik H.
There are two kinds of posts on Forums.
1. This is what I have done...
2. This is what I think...
Be aware of the difference!
basstracker
Site Newbie

Post by basstracker »

Ok so when I replaced the valve, I cleaned all the seats and did a valve adjustment but didnt check the spring length so maybe im thinkin valve float? And today I pulled the engine back out and found no visible signs of a valve hitting the piston and nothin was out of the ordinary for a bike with 45,000 miles! Could a valve guide be bent if all the valves are seated properly and glide freely in the guide cause the noise was bad. Oh yeah piston rings were all replaced and connecting rod bearings so its deffinetly the clyinderhead! HELP PLEASE!!!
s7000
Site Newbie

Post by s7000 »

NO follow up to this post??

It's common forum courtesy to post a followup/resolution to an issue.

Forums are useless if they are only filled with people asking questions but no one posting solutions.

I have a very similiar problem with my bike right now and it would sure be helpfull if you posted the resolve you were able to find. (If any)

Thanks,

SL