LOSES POWER WHEN REVED AND BATTERY GOES DEAD advice?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

frankywashere
Site Newbie

LOSES POWER WHEN REVED AND BATTERY GOES DEAD advice?

Post by frankywashere »

Hey guys,

I've got a 1990 FZR600, as far as I know everything is stock.

So the other day I tryed starting my bike and it turned over a few times, and then the battery died.

I noticed a really weird burning smell coming from the bike but assumed it was nothing.

I replaced the battery the next day and it ran great.

The next day it rained all day I waited for the rain to stop and I took it for a ride and the bike died after about 10 mins.

I bump started it and it ran but as soon as I gave it gas, it suddenly died. It only died when I engage the clutch and and try to go. When I just sit in nuetral and rev it is fine. But eventually if I sat long enough it would suddenly just die. The lights all stay on so there's still power.

I tried starting it and the battery was dead, battery was brand new.

I'm going to check if maybe I got sold a bad battery.

Any suggestions people?

Frank
1990 FZR600 KERKER EXHAUST
Nik
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: LOSES POWER WHEN REVED AND BATTERY GOES DEAD advice?

Post by Nik »

Frank,
in the WIKI there is a troubleshooting scheme for testing for the source of prolems like yours. You will need a volt/amp/ohm meter to do this.

When you bought the battery you did tender charge it for 24 hours before putting it on the bike? if not that may be your problem..................
W.F O
Nik H.
There are two kinds of posts on Forums.
1. This is what I have done...
2. This is what I think...
Be aware of the difference!
frankywashere
Site Newbie

Post by frankywashere »

Found the problem, i looked at the voltage regulator and it was MELTED! I hope nothing else got ruined by it, I'll post pics soon!
cowboi
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by cowboi »

OUCH !!!!!! cant wait to see pics
When all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth......S.Holmes

78 CB750A
96 FZR600R
00 YZF R1
04 YZF R6
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

*WOW* Hopefully it didn't destroy anything else ... First rule of electricals - when you smell something burning, there's a good chance something is burning!

Shameless plug - if you're upgrading from 4-pin to a 5- or 6-pin VRR, I make an adaptor harness that makes this easy. Check out the link in my sig.
frankywashere
Site Newbie

Post by frankywashere »

Haha thanks for everyone's help and the great tutorials on how to replace the VR. because of you guys I was able to fund the problem and get a replacement and get te bike running in a matter of hours. You guys saved me a ton of head aches. The install was super easy and the bike runs nice. I probably will order one of your custom wiring plug adapters. But as it is now. I didn't have to redo any wiring. I just plugge them right into the 5 pin VR That I bought. It was aftermarket fr a FZR/r6/r1 99-01 that's what the box said anyway.

I reused the old play and got away without drilling any holes! Of course I also didn't mount horizontially. I'll post pics!
Nik
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Nik »

frankywashere wrote:Haha thanks for everyone's help and the great tutorials on how to replace the VR. because of you guys I was able to fund the problem and get a replacement and get te bike running in a matter of hours. You guys saved me a ton of head aches. The install was super easy and the bike runs nice. I probably will order one of your custom wiring plug adapters. But as it is now. I didn't have to redo any wiring. I just plugge them right into the 5 pin VR That I bought. It was aftermarket fr a FZR/r6/r1 99-01 that's what the box said anyway.

I reused the old play and got away without drilling any holes! Of course I also didn't mount horizontially. I'll post pics!
Frank,
well glad that one is behind you and we could help out, if you look at Y_Geo.'s own site you will see that he did not do a standard VR mount either. You might want to check the points in How-to as to the GOTCHA's of moving the orientation.

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/vr.html
W.F O
Nik H.
frankywashere
Site Newbie

Post by frankywashere »

Burnt VR!

New VR!
Nik
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Nik »

Frank,
in that second picture the ground wire is being kinked badly which is an accident waiting to happen. Smooth out the routing so the wire is laying "naturally" in the direction it is going to rather than almost 90 degrees to it with the sharp metal of the ring connector biting into it !
W.F O
Nik H.
dayalalito
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by dayalalito »

i have a 92 fzr600, and i have the tiny VR, im going to have to do this upgrade once i get her runing, i had to change the bike harness as the previous owner chopped all the wire and spliced into the harness to make other parts work. A REALLY MESSED UP SPLICE ! i already replacde it and had to get other coils as he spliced those as well, charged the battery and putting in it to see if she will fire up.
thanks Dayalalito