popping clunking sound FREAKING OUT

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

gt5094stang
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

popping clunking sound FREAKING OUT

Post by gt5094stang »

long story short i'm hereing a loud clunking or popping sound every few seconds at low and high speeds. My chain is a little loose but not tight at all and when i put the bike on a stand i spin the rear wheel and can here and feel the popping clunking sound from the rear. This happened on the way to school and luckly my friend lives down the street and stop by his house and did all this right before class. As of right now im in class and have been doing some research online and don't now if its the chain, sprockets, or rear wheel bearing......

Any ideas??? Im leaning toward chain and sprockets but has anyone had this happen to them??? How do i look for wear on the teeth and if the chain is tight in one spot or several can it cause this.

Its not quiet at all its pretty loud and happens in neutral also when it was on the stand

FYI i have an f3 rear wheel but i have had the conversion done for almost a year and this has never happend till today
blensen
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: popping clunking sound FREAKING OUT

Post by blensen »

Frozen link in the chain. Spin it slowly and look for a link that doesn't bend easily.
1994 FZR600: Hardly anything left stock
02 R6 Front End
Ducati M900 Seat/Taillight
Honda VFR750 Swingarm/Wheel
No Spacer 660
YZF600 Tank
Renthal Dirt Bars
Too much else...
gt5094stang
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: popping clunking sound FREAKING OUT

Post by gt5094stang »

thanx man.....nice to see someone from the other archives:-)

but definatly will check the chain tomorow and maybe even soak it for a while and lube the chain up