UPDATED SPARK PLUG READING

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

UPDATED SPARK PLUG READING

Post by yamaha_george »

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

NOW in the WIKI see tuning site section
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: UPDATED SPARK PLUG READING

Post by ragedigital »

That was a fantastic find!

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ragedigital wrote:That was a fantastic find!

darrin
D,
that is why you asked me to be Site Director LoL
olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by olie05 »

I stopped reading when I got to the part where they spelled "UEGO" wrong. Tuning by spark plug is a basic and subjective way of tuning an engine. Do you think the plugs on that Hemi are going to respond the same way as on our bikes? Things like flame speed, combustion chamber efficiency, and plug design (heat range, size, etc...) come to mind as things that would render those guidelines useless for other engines.

IMO a wideband coupled with a knock sensor is the best way for the average gear head to tune their engines.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

olie05 wrote:I stopped reading when I got to the part where they spelled "UEGO" wrong. Tuning by spark plug is a basic and subjective way of tuning an engine. Do you think the plugs on that Hemi are going to respond the same way as on our bikes? Things like flame speed, combustion chamber efficiency, and plug design (heat range, size, etc...) come to mind as things that would render those guidelines useless for other engines.

IMO a wideband coupled with a knock sensor is the best way for the average gear head to tune their engines.
You're correct in all aspects; however, for just a few paragraphs of basic information concerning reading plugs, I think believe it is valuable information. If anything, it will give the person who starts a thread with "Have spark - not running" a way to present their facts more clearly.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ragedigital wrote:
olie05 wrote:I stopped reading when I got to the part where they spelled "UEGO" wrong. Tuning by spark plug is a basic and subjective way of tuning an engine. Do you think the plugs on that Hemi are going to respond the same way as on our bikes? Things like flame speed, combustion chamber efficiency, and plug design (heat range, size, etc...) come to mind as things that would render those guidelines useless for other engines.

You're correct in all aspects; however, for just a few paragraphs of basic information concerning reading plugs, I think believe it is valuable information. If anything, it will give the person who starts a thread with "Have spark - not running" a way to present their facts more clearly.
Darrin,
Reading Spark plugs is at best subjective and is a basis for the average guy to see what is going on. As to detail s like head shape flame travel plug heat range that will all vary even amongst a model range of engine such as ours with manufacturing tolerances, market location (& their weather conditions ) gasoline specs from various sources.

If you follower the variables as a user is faced with, my question logically would be "why get out of bed in the morning ?"

Knowledge as ever is to be subject to interpretation.
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

***Comments removed by ragedigital. We don't need personal attacks like that from anyone. Consider yourself warned.***

Nice find YG