weak spark, not running

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

gt5094stang
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: weak spark, not running

Post by gt5094stang »

Sounds like a crazy thing but i went through the same process a few months ago on a bike i purchased that wasn't running at all......long story short everything had correct power rating going to the parts and looking at the wiring diagram we found that one of the maine grounds runs through the flasher relay which is under the seat next to the cdi. We removed the relay and the bike started on 2 cranks......silly thing but try removing the relay and see if that helps get power to the coils. also ohm out the coils and you should have 1.8
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

are you talking about the yellow/red and black wires that go through the switches? I'll check that out, I haven't got to look at it since my last post. Maybe I'll look at it tomorrow.
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
gt5094stang
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by gt5094stang »

no its the actual turn signal relay or flasher relay under the seat next to the cdi box and fuse box
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

gt5094stang wrote:no its the actual turn signal relay or flasher relay under the seat next to the cdi box and fuse box
you should also check out the tightness of your chain and your tire pressures, which also have no effect on the ignition. lol the flasher relay funniest thing I have ever heard

:nopic :whistle
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

well CJD, the funny thing about what he said is this...I was actually modifying my turn signal switches to YZF600r, so I rewired the relay system. I got busy working, and then two days later 300 lbs of shingles were pushed off of my roof because some roofers weren't watching what they were doing during a shingle replacement at my house. It was in a 1 foot deep pile of shingles, and I had to dig it out. It hasn't ran since then. I always figured it was an electrical problem from the shingles. But actually I never started it since the rewire. It threw me for a loop when I read his message. I wired my new relay into the old system, and I left the yellow/red wire and black wire disconnected at the switches, both of these wires go to the relay for the autocancel system. My turn signals work fine after the rewire, the only wires I'm using is the brown and brown/white, which are the hot in and hot out of the relay, and I left the old turn signal relay connector intact and split off the brown and brown/white wires. I can put the fzr turn relay back, but I will have to get new switches. These switches only use 3 wires, light brown, dark brown, and dark green, the old ones were the same wire colors plus yellow/red and black, which were autocancel I think. I'm going to have to look very very close at the wire diagram, can someone take apart a broken turn signal relay for me and send me some pics or more information regarding the yellow/red wire??? someone like gt5094stang who has a broken one..lol.

CJD, I see where you are coming from, and I would think this is just as crazy as you do if I hadn't rewired my turnsignal switch before it stopped running.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

If we're talking single-point failure, then I agree that the flasher relay should have no bearing on what's going on. In this particular case, we have a 20-yo bike that has had "300lb of shingles" dropped on it, causing untold damage. It's not impossible that the tach suffered mechanical insult that is affecting the internal wiring.

The relay is connected to the brown hot wire; the tach is connected to the brown and grey wire; the grey wire is connected to the 2-3 coil and the TCI. Unplug the tach and/or the relay, see what happens.
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

I still haven't gotten around to working on this thing, I probably have to charge my battery again. *sigh*
brcree
Site Newbie

Post by brcree »

Let me chime in here...I had the same prob for the past few weeks. After taking the coils out I found that the spark plug wire ends needed trimming back a bit. The spark plug wire didn't have any wiring at the ends of them. I trimmed them back about 1/4" and twisted the plug boots back on. I also found 3 of my spark plug boots had no resistance on them. I also removed the resisters from the boots and got a small copper dowel and cut it to the same length as the resisters. Made sure all the coil wiring had resistance as well as wiring for TCI box and reg. Put it all back together...gave a bit of choke and Bang....fired up first time!
90 fzr 600 former track bike put back on the street / 09 gsxr 600 / 81 Yamaha xs 1100 / 82 Suzuki gs 650g / Honda 07 VTX. You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.......
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

thanks for the tip. I'm actually running the NGK spark plug boots instead of the stock ones. My resistance is 5k I think instead of the 8k - 10k that I think the FZR boots are supposed to be rated at. The NGK boots are considerably shorter than the stock ones and I need every bit of the spark plug wires that I can get. I'll look into that though. Maybe I can relocate the two coils so that I have a slightly longer reach on the wire side. I'm already running a direct 8 gauge ground wire straight from the coil pack bracket to the battery negative, so I can mount it to the plastic if I want to.

Currently I'm looking for another FZR600 locally to buy. I'll switch my body over to that one and sell all of the parts that I know to be good if I find one.
lamer
Site Newbie

Post by lamer »

The "Spark Plug Wires" are removable from the coils, takes a lil time and patiences tho, But not impossible. They can be renewed. Then Roberts ya movas brover

brcree I have no Idea what "Bazzah" means sorry :)
Most things can be fixed "stupid" is unfortunately beyond repair