Zoot Scoot Riot Project - Codename: Scopper (Updated 7/18)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Re: Zoot Scoot Riot Project - Codename: Scopper

Post by zero9243 »

YAM93 wrote:zero where your avatar is BOY-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ?
:dubious: bonkonhead
I get a feeling the motor hasn't run since the late 80's. You know that swingarm, is that some shaft-drive assembly? I meant to ask earlier, wierd looking with no chain (to me anyway)
:headscratch:
call me out will you!?!!! :thumbsup:
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

sweekster wrote:You have outdone yourself again my friend. Truly awesome work. I'll be interested to know how that pipe performs. If it goes well, I may need your help down the line for my 79 50cc Flying Dutchman.
I will get an audio clip when I get this puppy running and I'll let you decide as far as the sound goes. I'm always willing to help out.
YAM93 wrote:What is the outside of the exhaust can made out of ? Thick sheet aluminum ? How did you bend it ?

Do you want to fab me a part out of that stuff if I send you a drawing ? Bottom of my fairing won't close, need a middle closure piece I can put couple fairing screws thru. Kind of a funny shape and I don't have any plastic I can use here. The aluminum bar I got isn't wide enough, I could make something rough with 3 plies (overlaps with rivets) but really want something the perfect shape I can paint black and be done with. I don't even care if you have to rivet the 2 plies of aluminum together, just needs to be the right shape.

Giggity. Lookin' really good TK. What a cool project. I assume you'll paint that exhaust & can matte black.
ClapHands
How fast are you trying to turn this project around ? I could just send you $10 you can order some black Galindo superbike grips from Dennis Kirk. Probably the best profile and grip available and not expensive. If you can make that part for me and get it to me before mid-August I'll send you another $40 to put towards Scotland.
:grinnod: :king :banana:
The outside is 16 gauge mild steel. I had it from my exhaust project for the fzr with the high mount. Bending it was...interesting. 1 screw at a time and then tap the hole, add the screw, and start trying to bend the next corner. It took a very long time to do both sides but I am honestly amazed with how it turned out. I always have a picture in my head of how I want it to look and it usually never compares. This came pretty close so I'm happy.

Send me the drawing and I'll fab it up. I've got some 1/4" plastic sheet I can make it from so it'll kinda go with the fairings. Super easy to work with too. I can easily have it made before mid-august.

My goal is to get this this puppy finished in the next week or two provided everything works out. I'm hoping to go to Scotland mid October so I want to get it sold quickly. Also don't want to hold onto it till next spring. Running out of storage.

Exhaust will be painted black. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to use the 500° heat paint or the 1500° stuff that will have to cure on the scopper once it's running. And I'll have you know it was started and ran in 2004-2005. I used it when I was in Utah but it's been in a bin since I moved. It should still be good. Especially after all the lovin' it's getting. I would love to get it powdercoated but this damn budget thing keeps getting in the way. I am kind of liking a budget for a build though. Has made me get a little more creative.

You are too kind with the donations. And of course I will not turn them down, but want you to know that I really appreciate it. You must get some sweet karma.
YAM93 wrote:You know that swingarm, is that some shaft-drive assembly? I meant to ask earlier, weird looking with no chain (to me anyway)
:headscratch:
It's a belt actually. Since there is no clutch it just spins up faster and faster till at full speed. It's housed inside the black half of the case. Pretty sick Single Sided Swinger though right??? Ducati has nothing on Honda!
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

yah they should start taking a few notes!
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

I'm going to steal this post right out from under thatkid's nose!

I drove down to TK's house yesterday, got there around noon and we started workin on the scopper. Our goal was to get a rolling chassis by the end of the day. Sounds simple right? He already had the front end so lets just find the geometry and go at it!

Cleaning the engine

Rolling..... front end?

The Man Tent

Cleaning the engine again

Is that a Big Wheel!?!?

Since TK is making the frame the gas tank as well, we tested out the volume of it. His goal in the back of his mind was to have a gallon at least. Keep in mind his frame was made out of some random piece he picked up at a store.
And DAMN DID HE GET LUCKY!!!! 1 gallon EXACTLY!

Leaks

A gremlin came by to weld the holes up.

New Hotness

Cutting Fun

So we worked pretty much 12 hours and got next to nothing done. WE had the front end ready to get welded up to the back, and then it fell over and wrecked the handlebars (need to be touched up and painted again). Then when making the brackets to connect the frame to the engine, we could not drill through the metal because the drill bits were being shitty. Then we got the drill bit sharpener out which didn't work right either (we sharpened for a half an hour and it didn't make any difference). Then we painted the belt cover for the engine outside, but the temperature changed too fast and the paint cracked so removing all the paint and repainting that for the day was worthless. Then TK wanted to make a part for the frame to make it look a little nice where it connected to the front end and his saw would not bite into his piece of metal he was trying to cut, and then the piece moved and screwed up his cut, so that piece was crap. Essentially at the end of the day we had nothing to show for our work except a clean kick start lever and half of a rolling chassis.

Defeated, we went inside and started moving the tools back to the basement. Then we both got switched into cleaning mode somehow and went ape escape on his basement. It took us maybe 3-3 1/2 hours from the time we started bringing tools down to when we were done. But it looked awesome. I may have black lung from all the dust but dayum it looks nice!
We need some pics of that!!! Old and busted???? NEW HOTNESS!
Upgrades:

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

Those pics where you see TK crouching? that's how he works on bikes. He was crouching for 6 hours straight i swear to god. I tried it for 5 min and almost couldn't get up.
Upgrades:

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

<<post whoring

oh! oh! but he did get a battery from me and a tail light housing AND wiring. AND turn signals and running lights. Although he made fun of the running lights and wasn't too intrigued by the free turn signals either.

Way to play with my emotions TK. :ermm: :ermm: :ermm:
Upgrades:

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Heh, sounds like two of the Three Musketeers, I do a lot of crouching while working too, damn my legs and knees get sore.

ThatKid <----Crouching Sportbiker, Wicked Fabricator

Zero9243 <----Crouching Post-Whore, Fast Pumpkin

YAM93 <-----Crouching Jackass, Jumping Bumblebee

:rofl: :cheers: :headbang:

Sounds like you kinda tried to do too much, understandably easy to get excited over such a cool project. Was the saw blade just not sharp enough? Need a new one? I'll try to send that money soon for the grips etc. Be careful and don't let dull tools kickback and cut your leg off, please.
:P :dubious:
:thumbsup:
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

YAM93 wrote:Heh, sounds like two of the Three Musketeers, I do a lot of crouching while working too, damn my legs and knees get sore.

Sounds like you kinda tried to do too much, understandably easy to get excited over such a cool project. Was the saw blade just not sharp enough? Need a new one? I'll try to send that money soon for the grips etc. Be careful and don't let dull tools kickback and cut your leg off, please.
YAM! glad to see some attention to this thread! You made me laugh super hard
Upgrades:

old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

I don't know how i missed this build... Looks badass KId! keep the pics coming!!
NO FZR :(
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

YAM93 wrote:Heh, sounds like two of the Three Musketeers, I do a lot of crouching while working too, damn my legs and knees get sore.

All I wanted was a rolling chassis. That isn't too much to ask. The gods just weren't smiling on us. I hate those days.

The saw blade was trying to cut from the middle of the metal to the ends instead of once side to the other. Didn't have any other way to cut it but that and the blade just couldn't finish it off. I had it going for a good 5 minutes and close to 11 at night. I'm amazed the police didn't show up. After that I just said to hell with it and we started to pack it in. When the threads stripped out of the carb that was the last straw. I was done. The basement does look awesome though now. More building can continue down there in style.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Zero forgot to show this one of the ass end. Check out how much back that baby's got! DAYUMM!

That picture right there gives me some hope on this build again after the evil day.
Do YOU Scopper?

the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

Whoa! Looking awesome! Can't wait to see how it turns out! :thumbsup:
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

Have you thought about using the filler from an old gas tank off of an old walk behind pushmower? The older ones had vented steel gas tanks, and with a little creativity and a dremel/drill, you could put a filler cap near the seat area. my2cents
If you decide to go that route, I may be able to rustle up one or two. After all, I work at a 100+ acre scrap steel yard. Theres bound to be an old lawnmower or two around there. :-D
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

the_finch wrote:Have you thought about using the filler from an old gas tank off of an old walk behind pushmower? The older ones had vented steel gas tanks, and with a little creativity and a dremel/drill, you could put a filler cap near the seat area. my2cents
If you decide to go that route, I may be able to rustle up one or two. After all, I work at a 100+ acre scrap steel yard. Theres bound to be an old lawnmower or two around there. :-D
Oh my goodness that would be perfect! I would just have to very careful on the welding of it. Probably not super thick steel and so far my thin gauge steel welding skills are rather lacking. I can get it on there but it ain't pretty.

However, if you can find one I'm totally down for giving it a try. I was thinking of finding a car at a scrap yard and yanking out the fill cap area, but a pushmower would have a lot small gas cap and would definitely flow better. :notworthy:
Do YOU Scopper?

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

thatkid wrote:
the_finch wrote:Have you thought about using the filler from an old gas tank off of an old walk behind pushmower? The older ones had vented steel gas tanks, and with a little creativity and a dremel/drill, you could put a filler cap near the seat area. my2cents
Oh my goodness that would be perfect! I would just have to very careful on the welding of it. Probably not super thick steel and so far my thin gauge steel welding skills are rather lacking. I can get it on there but it ain't pretty.

However, if you can find one I'm totally down for giving it a try. I was thinking of finding a car at a scrap yard and yanking out the fill cap area, but a pushmower would have a lot small gas cap and would definitely flow better. :notworthy:

I was gonna say : Sounds perfect.
Upgrades: