NEED HELP.!! carbs???

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

primus92
Site Newbie

NEED HELP.!! carbs???

Post by primus92 »

i was getting the bike out for this spring,my FZR600. tried to start the bike, and she cranks over, and then when shes about to fire, all there is is a loud bang or a pop out my tail pipe, idk what it is, can someone help me out. the spark plugs are producing spark, i cleaned my carb inside and out before i put her up for the winter. didnt know if my carb needs synced or not i dont know whats wrong
1991 YAMAHA FZR 600
rotortech
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: NEED HELP.!!

Post by rotortech »

You might try fresh gas in the tank. Did you run the bike after you cleaned the carbs? You may have accidentally swapped some jets (it happens to best of us) or you have an air leak at the boots on the carbs.
Rotortech
Indianapolis, IN

[color=#0040FF][b]1994 FZR 600[/b]
[list]RaceTech Springs
R6 Rear Shock
FactoryPro Jet Kit
Drop-in K&N Filter[/list][/color]
primus92
Site Newbie

Post by primus92 »

yes i ran the bike after cleaning the carbs, before i put her up, there was a pretty big flame one time out my exghaust,lol. but i was tolled that it may be my timing that is off, ill try checking my carbs out again man, and new gas, i really appreciate your help bro. thank you. ill keep trying
1991 YAMAHA FZR 600
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

primus92 wrote:yes i ran the bike after cleaning the carbs, before i put her up, there was a pretty big flame one time out my exghaust,lol. but i was tolled that it may be my timing that is off, ill try checking my carbs out again man, and new gas, i really appreciate your help bro. thank you. ill keep trying

P,
Timing goes out over time , problems like this is most commonly caused by what we last did to the bike.

Sound advice given, gas does go "stale" and does have water leech out of it, make sure that the carbs are seated on the engine properly and have no cracks , the air box rubbers are on properly.

When checking for cracks in rubbers quick start rattle can mixtures are good indicators, the engine will pick up speed when a crack is found by a quick squirt on a defective rubber.

check your plugs are not being drowned by a flooded cylinder which will pump raw gas and cause quite a big bang & flame if the excess catches fire in the pipe
primus92
Site Newbie

Post by primus92 »

ok thanks man, yeah now im 100 percent sure that its my carburator. my boots are good, the carb is seated on the boots properly. and im not leaking any air anywhere. im kinda new to this. now i found out that everything else is running properly like it should, i put fresh gas in, still the same problem, do you think that i would have to adjust my air/fuel ratio. or the any another meaning my idle screw.? like my carb running to rich, and have to back it down some.?
1991 YAMAHA FZR 600
primus92
Site Newbie

Post by primus92 »

about to put my new NGK spark plugs in, my cylinders were FUBAR with gas flooded her pretty badly. wish me luck guys. and i thank all of you guys for your help and support.
1991 YAMAHA FZR 600
jfrankel06
Site Newbie

Re: NEED HELP.!! carbs???

Post by jfrankel06 »

did u ever get her running strong?
primus92
Site Newbie

Post by primus92 »

i turned my fuel air ratio a little higher. and she ran. kinda strange. but anyways i got ger running again, going down the road, and bike started rockin back in forth on the open road. pulled over and she died on me. got her back to the house ran a compression test and 3rd cylinder turns out 80 psi. low compression. pulled engine out. pulled head and now im doing further inspection.
1991 YAMAHA FZR 600
JELonsford
Site Newbie

Post by JELonsford »

I had the same problem with compression on cylinder 3. My compression was 60 and my #4 was at 120 where 1 and 2 were at 80. I pulled the engine apart and found that after a leack check the piston rings were all leaking pretty bad, especially cylinder 3. I changed the rings out and replaced the gaskets, redid the timing of course and checked all of the valves for suction and all went well. bike is at 19000 miles and running like its only got 100 miles. Just when you get to it do a leak check and that might be it. if so I would contact hastings for some rings to be made because yamaha likes to charge $100.00 per piston ring set. I got lucky and found a typo on ebay and got all 4 for only 120. Hastings was going to charge the same but they needed me to send them a piston for measurements and it would have been a couple weeks before I got it back.
97fzrnoob
Site Newbie

Post by 97fzrnoob »

when you did your ring job, did you go oem or aftermarket? got my motor tore down for head replacement and new clutch and such. gonna do new rings also since I'm pretty much right there.