Fuel pump question?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

blackeyesandbruises
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Fuel pump question?

Post by blackeyesandbruises »

what would cause that a bare wire that is making contact? sorry full of questions.
It consumes me....
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

There should be one click form the relay when you turn the ignition on, then the fuel pump should prime for UP TO 5 secs. The smoke coming form the rear is quite likely to be your voltage regulator crapping itself, when they go they can cook the fuel pump and/or relay. Do as has been previously stated here test the fuel pump first by disconnecting the fuel line going from it to the carbs, placing it into a container and turning the ignition on, fuel should then come out. If this doesn't work apply 12v directly to the two wires for the fuel pump, if it still doesn't work the fuel pump is shot. I'd also advise testing your regulator.
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

weighs 166kg wet (25kg lighter than my stock fzr600).
emily rose
Site Newbie

Post by emily rose »

Hello everyone I have a 1992 fzr 600 It will not start. It getting a spark So i check to see if it was getting fuel, it wasn't. I hook the fuel pump up to the battery an it work. So why isn't it getting ANY juice is it the relays or regulator.help help help
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

emily rose wrote:Hello everyone I have a 1992 fzr 600 It will not start. It getting a spark So i check to see if it was getting fuel, it wasn't. I hook the fuel pump up to the battery an it work. So why isn't it getting ANY juice is it the relays or regulator.help help help
starter relay could be bad
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

emily rose
Site Newbie

Post by emily rose »

The starter relay. Do you know of a way i could check. Because it does turn over it just doesn't start.No power to the fuel pump.Thank you for the helping hand
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

If the engine cranks and sparks, the starter relay is fine. You've already checked that the pump itself works when directly connected to +12v - good so far. What you need to check now is the main relay assembly, a small black pack on the left side of the bike by the battery with a strange 11-pin connector (12 positions, one of which is the latch).

Hook +12v to the Red/White wire, and Ground to the Black/Blue. Measure resistance between the Red/White wire terminal and the Blue/Black - you're looking for continuity. No continuity = the fuel pump relay (inside the assembly) is dead and the assembly must be repaired or replaced.

If that passes, check for continuity through the Black/Blue wire at the relay connector and at the TCI connector (bottom-center pin on the 6-pin TCI connector). No continuity = a damaged wire.

If everything is ok so far, you're probably looking at a damaged TCI box. Make sure the TCI connectors are hooked up, then connect the continuity checker between the Black/Blue pin in the relay connector and ground. Turn the key and kill switch on; you should get continuity through the pump relay circuit for 5 seconds before it shuts back off. If this fails, the pump switching transistor in the TCI is fried, and the TCI must be repaired or replaced.
emily rose
Site Newbie

Post by emily rose »

And you know what my damn flashers are not working. Thanks for the help on the pump. Now i know where to start.
emily rose
Site Newbie

Post by emily rose »

Well i found out why my fuel pump was not getting any juice. When i grounded the ground wire that goes to the relay the juices started flowing.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Which wire - the Black / Blue? Have you tested it for continuity to the TCI connector, and then THROUGH the TCI?
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

DonTZ125 wrote:Which wire - the Black / Blue? Have you tested it for continuity to the TCI connector, and then THROUGH the TCI?
Sorry for jumping in here, but there is NO red/white wire connected to the Main Relay (your earlier post), However there are 2 black/blue wires connected to the relay,

Which of the 2 black/blue wire's should be tested? im confused :headscratch:
emily rose
Site Newbie

Post by emily rose »

Well i had a test light an i was go threw the wires on the relay just to see which one had juice. So when i touch the black one i heard the fuel pump come on.The black wire that goes to the fuel pump to the relay.
emily rose
Site Newbie

Post by emily rose »

No i haven't tested tci box yet today when i get off i will. Thanks Dontz125
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Bloody model year differences... Ok - for the '91+ US FZR600, hook up +12v to the Red / BLACK wire and ground to the Black / Blue wire; this Black / Blue wire is also the wire to check for continuity to / through the TCI. Check for relay continuity between Red / Black and Blue / Black wires with +12v applied to the relay coil.

There aren't 2 Black / Blue wires; there is one Black / Blue and one Blue / Black. The difference after 20 years of weathering and fading may be difficult to see; thank the idiots in the Yamaha wiring department.
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

DonTZ125 wrote: There aren't 2 Black / Blue wires; there is one Black / Blue and one Blue / Black. The difference after 20 years of weathering and fading may be difficult to see; thank the idiots in the Yamaha wiring department.
I stand corrected Sir :notworthy: