I think i got the shaft

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

fingers
Site Newbie

I think i got the shaft

Post by fingers »

So here's the deal i bought this bike 3 weeks ago, the bike was a great deal :deal: which i should have known to stay clear of. The P/O wanted $750 for the bike and all that was wrong was it was missing was the peanut cover. well that and the wiring but i didnt know that at the time.the big problem was that he did not have title in hand,(i know i know i should have walked away :Kick). The P/O said he couldnt find it so he would have to go get a duplicate title. Ok so i agreed to the $750 and made a deal that i gave him $500 then and another $250 when i got the title. Well a week went by and i called him and he said he had not gotten around to it yet. After another week i was informed that the bike was not even in his name and that he got it from the brother of the guy who bought it from the last legal owner. So i am 4th generation screwed over. i know that this bike was never reported stolen because i checked the vin number with the local police. my real question here is (since i have about $1000 into this bike now) should i just part this bike out and try to be screwed over less or is there any way to actually get a title so i can ride this bad ass bike.
89 fzr 600
Nik
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: I think i got the shaft

Post by Nik »

hi,
why not go to the last "legal" owner and get him to give you copy of the title ?
W.F O
Nik H.
There are two kinds of posts on Forums.
1. This is what I have done...
2. This is what I think...
Be aware of the difference!
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

because i dont know who the legal last owner is. Like i said they jumped the title through 3 other owners before i ended up with the bike.
89 fzr 600
Nik
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Nik »

fingers wrote:because i dont know who the legal last owner is. Like i said they jumped the title through 3 other owners before i ended up with the bike.
Fingers,
I dunno how it works in your state/country but here and in the UK, you feed the license plate to DMV and for a small charge you can find out who (according to their last records ) the legal owner is as far as they are concerned. You then go to that person and get it sorted.

That or you get amate who is a police officer to run a check for you on the QT <BG>
W.F O
Nik H.
There are two kinds of posts on Forums.
1. This is what I have done...
2. This is what I think...
Be aware of the difference!
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

lol there is no license plates on the bike. just the vin slicker
89 fzr 600
jsph.mitch
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by jsph.mitch »

What year is the bike? You might not even need to worry about the title. All you need is a bill of sale. I know the DMV can run the vin. Start there, and tack the last legal PO down.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
91 FZR600
Trimmed Tail
YZF VR Upgrade
LED Taillights
Many more mods to come.....
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

jsph.mitch wrote:What year is the bike? You might not even need to worry about the title. All you need is a bill of sale. I know the DMV can run the vin. Start there, and tack the last legal PO down.

as per my signature itt is an 89. and why would i want to take the last legal PO down? all he did was sell a bike to a guy that never got it licensed. and no offence but if u read the original post i did check the vin however the state of good ole missouri will not give out personal info ( even a name) to a civilian without a court order.
89 fzr 600
old_fogey
Site Newbie

Post by old_fogey »

MO allows you do buy a "donor" vehicle and peice the two together to make one road-worthy vehicle. If the DMV can't use the VIN to give a title (I understand the legal issues on their side, but they can when it was last registered and work from that end), make sure you have a Bill of Sale as stated and go from there. Ask about a donor vehicle if it also is allowed for motorcycles as well - find a totalled bike and use that title to get a "previously salvaged" title and push the VINs over (2-to-1).
-----------------
91 FZR 600
94 FZR 600
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

You can buy a frame with a title and swap everything over and be done.

You can get the proper form and send it off to the sec of state for a title search. In IL it's 5 bucks. They will run the vin and give you any title change information that they have on record for your state. Needing a court order is BS, it's not protected information. You just have to fill out the right paperwork.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

thatkid wrote:You can buy a frame with a title and swap everything over and be done.

You can get the proper form and send it off to the sec of state for a title search. In IL it's 5 bucks. They will run the vin and give you any title change information that they have on record for your state. Needing a court order is BS, it's not protected information. You just have to fill out the right paperwork.
all o know i what the police told me.
89 fzr 600
jsph.mitch
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Re: I think i got the shaft

Post by jsph.mitch »

fingers wrote:
jsph.mitch wrote:What year is the bike? You might not even need to worry about the title. All you need is a bill of sale. I know the DMV can run the vin. Start there, and tack the last legal PO down.

as per my signature itt is an 89. and why would i want to take the last legal PO down? all he did was sell a bike to a guy that never got it licensed. and no offence but if u read the original post i did check the vin however the state of good ole missouri will not give out personal info ( even a name) to a civilian without a court order.
We excuse me. I am reading your post on my phone, and your signature does not show. I am just throwing ideas out. You posted looking for help right? Just because you had the vin ran at a local police dept, does not mean you got all the past info. I am not sure what your state calls it, but its called the dept of motor vehicles here. They can, and will give you the info you need. As was stated, you just need the right forms, and some cash.
Good luck.
If all else fails, part it out.
91 FZR600
Trimmed Tail
YZF VR Upgrade
LED Taillights
Many more mods to come.....
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Stop asking everyone what to do and go down to the DVM and find out for yourself!

Every state is different. And unless you find someone in your state who has done this, you will not find your correct answer here. Hell, you might be able to find the answer on the DVM website.

You've already been given this advise but you didn't want to listen.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

cad600 wrote:Stop asking everyone what to do and go down to the DVM and find out for yourself!

Every state is different. And unless you find someone in your state who has done this, you will not find your correct answer here. Hell, you might be able to find the answer on the DVM website.

You've already been given this advise but you didn't want to listen.
well cad i actually did follow the advise, thank you very much. :tks: and i actually was hoping that someone from mo might have done it and might be here. i knew it was a long shot but it was a shot. Im sure that the first guy to switch to an r6 rear shock also wondered if someone had done it, and wondered if it would work. this is no different than that. the dmv website is just crap and i have been down to the office. here in mo you have to fill out the papers give them the money and then they send a letter out to the last known owner.apparently the letter says that they are going to issue a new title to a new owner and that if they dont respond or contest within 30 days then the new title is issued and they forfeit ownership.
89 fzr 600
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

I'm glad you were able to get the info you needed. The process they are going to go through sounds familiar and I hope you are able to come out of this with a bike instead of someone trying to claim it.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

no one hopes that more than me but the good news it i have stripped it completly down so even if he tries to claim it all he is getting is the frame and not all the parts that i bought before i relized i was getting the shaft. then ill just find a new frame with a good title if i can find one cheap.
89 fzr 600