Can anyone tell me/mesure the stock fork's length? EDITED

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Kaboom
Site Newbie

Can anyone tell me/mesure the stock fork's length? EDITED

Post by Kaboom »

EDIT:
I found a MUCH simpler way to find out so it'll be a lot easier for you guys to help me out a little on this. I need to know the distance between the fork seals and the bottom yoke of the tripple tree with the bike resting on the sidestand so i can find out whether my bike's riding at stock height or not.
someone PLEEEEEASE waste 30 seconds measuring this, PLEAAAAASE!!!

ORIGINAL POST
Since i've had it and recently confirmed by a mechanich, i always thought my FZR was riding a bit high on the front end. Apparently, according to the mechanic, this is because teflon blocks have been used to compensate for spring sag, raising the bars.
I plan to compensate for this by sliding the forks up through the triple tree, but i want to know how much higher they have to be.
So can someone tell me or measure and tell me the ground clearance for the front of the bike. And also, which is the best way to measure this? Lowest part of the fairings to ground, bars to ground...
Any info appreciated, i really want to get the bike back feeling nimble!!
Last edited by Kaboom on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Can anyone tell me/measure the stock ride height?

Post by yamaha_george »

Hi,
well if we knew what model fzr / year / world location, we may be able to help ......................

any way you are tackling the problem backwards! the P.O put spacers in to suit his ride / riding style / weight to see what I am on about I suggest you read:-

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/kgb/suspension.html

oh yeh and find a mechanic that knows about how suspension works
Kaboom
Site Newbie

Re: Can anyone tell me/measure the stock ride height?

Post by Kaboom »

I know the good solution is taking the forks off, changing the oil and throwing in some of those ohlins springs, but at the moment i'm broke and have absolutely no time or patience to do this myself. so all i'm gonna do is compensate for the extra front height by raising the forks up through the TTree... I'm familiar with how suspensions work, since i tune cars for a living.
The bike is a 1989 FZR600 from spain. As far as i know, the spanish model is exactly the same as the rest of 600s without EXUP systems.
Again, all i need is for someone with a stock FZR to measure the height of the front end.

cheers!
Kaboom
Site Newbie

Re: Can anyone tell me/mesure the stock fork's length? EDITE

Post by Kaboom »

bump for edit!
Kaboom
Site Newbie

Post by Kaboom »

People PLEASE!
I can't believe no one can spare the 30 seconds it takes to put a measuring take to the forks from the seal to the triple tree!!
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Just put the forks so that the top of the tubes are flush with the clip-ons. The TUBES..NOT the cap in the tubes.

Then measure your sag, and adjust the preload(with the spacers) appropriately.

Dropping the trees down the fork legs is a band-aid if you have so much preload that it affects how the bike rides.

You WILL lose trail, and steepen up the steering head angle...AND at the same time have NO compliance in the front end.

setting sag:

http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/setup.htm

all that said..mine sits at 4.25inches
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

My forks are 790mm long from axel to top of fork, But thats the extended length without the bike resting on it. The GSXR front end is only 720mm from axel to top of forks.