Blew the motor I think. Is it Garbage?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Kaboom
Site Newbie

Re: Blew the motor I think. Is it Garbage?

Post by Kaboom »

iceman_ch wrote:The bike still starts and runs and sounds fairly normal.
How's this possible with a thrown rod? Whenever one of the cylinders in any of my vehicles wasn't firing, it sounded offbeat and weird, even on my 6-cyl beemer... Well at least now you know what the damage is, and that the weird clanking noise was half the rod going psycho against the cylinder walls...
iceman_ch
Site Newbie

Re: Blew the motor I think. Is it Garbage?

Post by iceman_ch »

Just an update. We pulled the oil pan off. The rod snapped and is stuck on the hole in the crankcase. AS far as I can tell that's the only damage to it. The bearing spins freely and there is no other metal chunks other then a piece of the rod in the oil pan. I'm pretty confident in saying that the kid over revved the motor and was the cause. I've been trying to work things out with him and was only asking him to help pay for half of it. He keeps insisting he is going to buy a whole motor but, I haven't seen any progress yet. I don't feel like spending the money on another motor for it. It was a great bike but, I think I'm going to let it go. What's the best way to recover some of the money from it? Scrap it? part it out? Or sell it to someone who wants to fix it. It only has 23K on it and someone could fix the one rod in it if they wanted to or drop another motor in it. I could part it out but I don't have a lot of time to work on it between class family and work.