intermitent spark??

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

BLACKGUNNER
Site Newbie

intermitent spark??

Post by BLACKGUNNER »

Hello all,
I have a 1994 fzr600 with intermitent spark. When it starts it runs excellent, but if you shut it off it may not start.(no spark but does crank over)
Checked all safety switches clutch,oil,side stand,and just replaced the main relay.It started once after installing new relay now no spark again.
any info or advice things to check ect would be appreciated.
DonTZ125

Re: intermitent spark??

Post by DonTZ125 »

Oil isn't an interlock, just a bulb check. The last safety switch is the Neutral - have you checked it?

Also, check your diode block - a wonky connection there can play silly games.

Clean the connector at the TCI box, too - if it sometimes can't read the safety signal, then you sometimes don't get spark!
BLACKGUNNER
Site Newbie

Post by BLACKGUNNER »

tci box connections are clean
not sure what you refer to as a "diode block"
neutral safety switch checks out

thanks for the advice
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Sorry - the 600s have the diode block integrated into the main relay. Oops...

Ok - your safety system works, time to check other things. Have you check the connections for the pick-up coil, both at the TCI and at the alternator cover? Check for continuity between the connectors.

Have you checked the primary coil connections, at the TCI and at the coil? Again, check for continuity between the connectors.

Have you checked the condition of the plugs? The plug caps (condition & resistance)? The plug wires, especially inside the insulation where the caps screw into the plug wires?
BLACKGUNNER
Site Newbie

Post by BLACKGUNNER »

What is the proper way to test the tci box and the pick up coil??
Is there a way to just bypass the safety circut for test purposes??
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Start with an ohmmeter / multimeter for now, just check for continuity between connections. Pickup coil resistance should be 80-120 ohms.

To bypass the safety system, ground the top-middle pin on the 6-pin connector on the TCI.
BLACKGUNNER
Site Newbie

Post by BLACKGUNNER »

worked on this thing again today.
92ohms for pick up coil,cheched the safety system and i have ground to the middle wire.
hooked everything back up and had spark bike ran great.
when i put the fuel tank back in i lost spark again,pulled the tank and had spark again,checked wires and wire plugs along fuel tank nothing wrong that i could find,put tank on and plastics still ran great started and shut off multiple times.
came back 3 or 4 hours later no spark again.
MonsterBike
Site Newbie

Post by MonsterBike »

it's very confusing. don't know what causes such problem. hope it's ok now. wanna know what causes it. thanks.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

BLACKGUNNER wrote:worked on this thing again today.
92ohms for pick up coil,cheched the safety system and i have ground to the middle wire.
hooked everything back up and had spark bike ran great.
when i put the fuel tank back in i lost spark again,pulled the tank and had spark again,checked wires and wire plugs along fuel tank nothing wrong that i could find,put tank on and plastics still ran great started and shut off multiple times.
came back 3 or 4 hours later no spark again.
BG,
If we had some clue as to where you world we may have an inkling as to what model of bike and therefore the wiring layout for that bikes market.

The team here is very good but mind reading can be struggle at times especially over oceans PLEASE you & Monster put your location in your personal profiles like the rest of the folk here and we just might set you looking in the right place.