my new toy :)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

my new toy :)

Post by ronny86 »

my new toy, this will be my first road bike :) had crossers etc but fancied getting on the open road :D

i thought it was a pritty good buy at 450quid

kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: my new toy :)

Post by kilika2 »

I spy with my little eye shiny headers. Looks great. Welcome to the club. I saw some of your other posts. Thanks for being a great new addition to the community already.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ronny86 »

cant wait to pass me test, 2 weeks tomz for me mod1, just been and practiced it today and breezed it and hopefully ill do same on test day :D
only thing wrong with this bike really its got a small crack right under the bottom on the fairing and its been fixed with a metal strip and screws but gonna get it all done properly and resprayed, im in no rush to get a bigger bike or faster one, plus ive heard fzrs arre pritty quick anyway... probs keep this one a couple of years and get maybe an r6, but tbh id probs keep this to, im in love with it :D

np, seems great site and great community
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ronny86 wrote:cant wait to pass me test, 2 weeks tomz for me mod1, just been and practiced it today and breezed it and hopefully ill do same on test day :D
only thing wrong with this bike really its got a small crack right under the bottom on the fairing and its been fixed with a metal strip and screws but gonna get it all done properly and resprayed, i'm in no rush to get a bigger bike or faster one, plus i've heard fzrs are pretty quick anyway... probs keep this one a couple of years and get maybe an r6, but tbh i'd probs keep this to, i'm in love with it :D

np, seems great site and great community
Ronny,
as i said you Jammy Herbert that is one nice looking bike I paid 200 more than you and the only real thing it lacked was a LH side fairing, but me being me I had to change this and that, but kept all the original bits in case who buys it at some point is one of the restoro freaks.
you can read the adventures at:-
http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/project-1.html
ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ronny86 »

Think I found the problem with my bike, the second spark plug has a gap a lot shorter than the other 3, so my guess it's been struggling to fire causing bike to flood, can anyone confirm if this is likely? Cheers

Here's a pic of three of the plugs

Yamster
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by Yamster »

I like that paint scheme :thumbsup: .
Good luck with the test.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ronny86 wrote:Think I found the problem with my bike, the second spark plug has a gap a lot shorter than the other 3, so my guess it's been struggling to fire causing bike to flood, can anyone confirm if this is likely? Cheers

Here's a pic of three of the plugs
Ronny
Gap the whole lot would be safest and by the way if you use new plugs I have known them to vary 10 thou straight out the box over a set of four, so gap your own is the way forward.
ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ronny86 »

these are the plugs that have been on the bike for many years, still waiting on mine coming, damn bank holidays hehe, yeh ive got my feeler gauge ready! and done my research on the gap, 0.028 to 0.032 inch, gonna go for 0.030 inch, i think she will fire up just fine once new plugs are in, tempted to give the carbs a clean to whilst im waiting to do me test :D
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ronny86 wrote:these are the plugs that have been on the bike for many years, still waiting on mine coming, damn bank holidays hehe, yeh ive got my feeler gauge ready! and done my research on the gap, 0.028 to 0.032 inch, gonna go for 0.030 inch, i think she will fire up just fine once new plugs are in, tempted to give the carbs a clean to whilst im waiting to do me test :D
Ronny,
if the bike is / has been sitting that may be wise. Read it up it is in the wiki along with a DIY float hight gauge & carb balancer tool
ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ronny86 »

well new plugs in and she fires up sweet and for some reason she requires choke ALOT more now, maybe cause i put colder plugs in?, my only concern is when i rev the tits off her she shoots flames out the exhaust, could be shes running to rich? or could it be excess fuel from when she kept flooding?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ronny86 wrote:well new plugs in and she fires up sweet and for some reason she requires choke ALOT more now, maybe cause i put colder plugs in?, my only concern is when i rev the tits off her she shoots flames out the exhaust, could be shes running to rich? or could it be excess fuel from when she kept flooding?
Ronny,
FZR's are very cold blooded animals they always like the "choke" to start as you know it has been 70+ plus here and my bike (the forum is full of like stories) must have choke to start every time and be allowed to thoroughly warm up before she rides smoothly.

Flame out the exhaust gas sitting in the pipe from before if it continues check your floats are all locking off the fuel properly and not allowing fuel to seep or be pumped thro to the exhaust pipes. Time will show you on this.
ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ronny86 »

yeh mine needs choke to start, but if im honest, i wont know if mine rides smooth or rides like crap without choke on yet, cause i cant go out on it :( have to see when i pass me test, just changed water and added new anti freeze, god knows how long that water has been in there
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ronny86 wrote:yeh mine needs choke to start, but if im honest, i wont know if mine rides smooth or rides like crap without choke on yet, cause i cant go out on it :( have to see when i pass me test, just changed water and added new anti freeze, god knows how long that water has been in there
R,
well I did say for peace of mind change all Fluids and KEEP A NOTEBOOK as to what, brand used & when
ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ronny86 »

would it be worth changing the brake fluid as well?
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Considering that's the fluid that'll save your life if things go pear-shaped, my thought would be "Yes"...

Seriously - DOT 3 loves water, which hates your calipers and hoses. The 600 owner's manual says to rebuild the master cylinders and calipers every two years, and replace the hoses every four years; the fluid should be replaced at each rebuild. This is rather overkill - I can't think of any bike (except perhaps well-maintained racers - new fluid after every rain weekend!) that actually has that kind of maintenance schedule applied to it - but the concept remains.

Replace the brown nasty fluid in your system; bleeding should be easy since you're starting from full-wet.