Chain/Sprocket Kit - 530/OEM

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

WSM
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Chain/Sprocket Kit - 530/OEM

Post by WSM »

I'm looking to an R&R chain and rear sprocket and am looking for advice.
I'm planning to go OEM, but of course just buy a Sunstar sprocket & RK chain, rather than pay out the nose at a stealership.
I'm thinking steel, as I'll be putting about 10k on the bike this summer, and would like the new kit to last as long as possible.
What about the chain?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
1998 FZR600
All Original, except for a custom saddlebag set up. A machine shop buddy of mine seamlessly fitted two GS bags on the rear end for last summers ride.
30,000+ odo
racerd14666
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Chain/Sprocket Kit - 530/OEM

Post by racerd14666 »

if you keep the chain adjusted properly and lubed well it should last quiet a long time, under normal riding conditions ie no hard launches wheelies soft on the throttle ect my experience is that the aluminum wears about the same as the steel but once you start riding the bike like it should be the aluminum wears alot faster specially if the chain isnt adjusted correctly. jt sprockets are decent and cheap, RK and EK are nice chains to go with
Yamaha Certified Technician

But i also work on Ducati's Bmw's Moto Guzzi's and Mv Agusta's Ect.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

You can always pay out for a supersprox rear sprocket and a D.I.D. chain.

However, as stated, if you keep it properly adjusted and lubed and don't gas it all the time you'll get life out of either. I have a 520 kit from SOAP and it has 3 seasons on it and I've barely made it to the second notch on the swingarm. I use my bike to commute mainly so I'm more concerned about gas mileage than I am about jackrabbit starts.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
trump19
Site Newbie

Post by trump19 »

i just went back to the stock set up myself the 530 keeped on stretching out and eating sprockets( im sure other variables helped this happen). the weight u save is meaning less plus the 520 is stronger and much cheaper in my opinion any how follow my link to ebay this is the kit i bought and its a good price works great and i have had no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-F ... 35b15b5935
rocket till the wheels fall off