Seeking TCI resistor values

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

BASS-TREBLE
Site Newbie

Seeking TCI resistor values

Post by BASS-TREBLE »

I have a faulty TCI that has blown 2 resistors. These are printed on the circuit board as R10 and R11.
I am unable to read the values of the resistors as they have peeled themselves from getting too hot, that is why R10 and R11 are the only values I have.

Does anyone know what these values are or where I can find the values online etc????

I have found a site with Virago TCI repairs and resistor values but that hasn't been active since 2006 and the ignitors are different anyway.

Finally, I figured this was better posted in the FZR1000 section rather than the elctrical section. My apologies if this was wrong.

Thank you

87 FZR1000
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Seeking TCI resistor values

Post by yamaha_george »

BASS-TREBLE wrote:I have a faulty TCI that has blown 2 resistors. These are printed on the circuit board as R10 and R11.
I am unable to read the values of the resistors as they have peeled themselves from getting too hot, that is why R10 and R11 are the only values I have.

Does anyone know what these values are or where I can find the values online etc????

I have found a site with Virago TCI repairs and resistor values but that hasn't been active since 2006 and the ignitors are different anyway.

Finally, I figured this was better posted in the FZR1000 section rather than the elctrical section. My apologies if this was wrong.

Thank you

87 FZR1000
BT,
If you have the box open, surely you can find the values from the other "channel" that supplies the other sides HT coils ?
Or are R10 & R11 in the same place across both channels (ie both sides of the box not firing)?

The guys who have done this thing the most are DonTz125, TrifGeorge & Stig you may want to PM them to see what they have in the way of notes
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

I don't have an FZR1000 TCI at the moment. I do however have a non-Cali 600 box and a non-Cali 400 box. In both units, R10 and R11 are both Red-Red-Black-Gold, or 22 ohms @ 5% tolerance. Both resistors are rather small, perhaps 1/4W. In neither case do they appear to have anything to do with the ignition channels

I can't offer anything more intelligent than that; the values for a 1k box may be utterly different.
BASS-TREBLE
Site Newbie

Post by BASS-TREBLE »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I should've explained it better, the ignitor box isn't doing the usual not letting 2 of the cylinders fire or anything like that.
When I bought the bike it wouldn't start and after many hours spent mucking about, I bought a new ignitor and it fired up straight away.
I just want to repair the box or at least attempt it, I have nothing to loose.

The symptoms were that when the ignition was turned on it wouldn't even prime the fuel pump so I came to the conclusion that the ignitor was blown due to a short somewhere (the bike had dodgy wiring and a few blown fuses to go with it).
I know that the resistors are the same and I assume that they have to do with the main 'power' to the ignitor circuit.

I will post a photo when I get home later today to show you guys and I will also see if any rings on the resistors match the values that Don gave me match. Thank you for that.
BASS-TREBLE
Site Newbie

Post by BASS-TREBLE »

Here is the best image that I could take.
They appear to me as Red - Red- Something - Gold , so with that I think you might be on the money Don!

Now for the second part, how the hell do I remove the circuit board? It has channels on the side so it should slide out towards the connectors but there is resin on the edges. Is there anyway to break these loose?

Once again, thank you all for your time =)

DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

*sigh* So, you dremeled off the box? :dots:

The resin is the conformal coating protecting the circuitry - they sprayed the board, slipped it into the box, and the coating acted as the glue that holds it shut. Acetone will dissolve it; now that half the box is off, you might be able to get enough leverage to spread the box walls, cracking the goop.
BASS-TREBLE
Site Newbie

Post by BASS-TREBLE »

The box was cut around the 3 sides with a bandsaw which I thought was the most logical thing to do since I can just put it back together by gluing the seam like it originally was.
To be honest I didn't know what to expect or where the circuit board was inside and by using a bandsaw I only cut as deep as the wall thickness so couldn't damage anything.

How do you normally take them apart?

I will try to get some leverage on it and let you know how I go and will try to source some resistors. Does the picture look like a 22ohm with 5% to you?