Electrical Noob

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaboy
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Electrical Noob

Post by yamaboy »

Hello all.
Im not that electrical inclined. So I bought some mirrors with the integrated signals in them and noticed that they only have one wire. If I remember right , there are 3 wires per signal in the front. Which one would I hook it up to? Would I need to add one of those resistors to put a load on the circuit? Already have flushmounts installed(non LED's).

Also , what is my best option for an integrated rear light? This one is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktWKZ9K71bk

Thanks a bunch!

Mirrors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-F ... ccessories
1995 ,FZR 600,Factory Pro 1.1Ti Jet Kit, Yoshi slipon,K&N filter,elevation 4200 ft above sea level.
Carb settings: Main Jet 110, Starter Jet 52.5,Needle @ 3rd position,23m Floats,about 3 turns IM Screws.

80's-90's,Rap..music.?? http://www.last.fm/listen/user/unsmenar/personal
DonTZ125

Re: Electrical Noob

Post by DonTZ125 »

If you're ADDING LEDs to a circuit that already has standard bulbs, you'll probably have no issues.

One wire, huh? Unless they want you to ground the unit through the birdcage, to the frame, to the battery (a REALLY bad idea), I'd look carefully for another wire tucked into the shell. Failing that, get on the phone and ask them WTF is going on.
kiki231
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by kiki231 »

I would bet that the wiring is basic fixed-ground stuff. In other words, the one wire you have goes to your indicator source (flasher), and the desigh relies on being bolted to a grounded source.
to test what i am saying, try attaching the lead from a multimeter (on the resistance setting) to the one wire, then touch the other lead to the metal part of the mirror-- if the multimeter resistance drops down, then thats the ticket.
If you dont have a multimeter, then hook up the one wire to your flasher wire from the bike (blue i think) , then run a peice of wire from the battery negative to the metal part of the mirror/light.

If it flashes when you try it, then all you will need to do is run a wire from the negative from the bike (the brown i think) to somehwere secure on the metal part of the mirror and you're golden.

And regarding the third wire-- i assume these are NOT runnning lights built in.
When things get expensive, I become a fast learner...

[i]1989 FZR600
2009 R1[/i]
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Blue is the running light; 'Chocolate' is the left flasher lead, 'Dark Green' is the right. Black is ground.
kiki231
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by kiki231 »

there you go-- i had all three wrong- haha!!
my memory is getting worse and worse!
When things get expensive, I become a fast learner...

[i]1989 FZR600
2009 R1[/i]
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

There's a reason I download every manual I come across - some days I'm doing well to remember that my name is Bob!

Hey - waittaminit :dots: screwy
yamaboy
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by yamaboy »

So it turns out that there are two wires.(looked like 1 wire in the pics ,but it has 2 leads in it) One - and one +. I suspect that the - goes with the ground for the signals and the + goes with the turn signal. If I connect the + on the mirrors to the turn signal and the running lights it would stay on all the time and also work as a signal , right?
:cheers:
1995 ,FZR 600,Factory Pro 1.1Ti Jet Kit, Yoshi slipon,K&N filter,elevation 4200 ft above sea level.
Carb settings: Main Jet 110, Starter Jet 52.5,Needle @ 3rd position,23m Floats,about 3 turns IM Screws.

DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Nope. If there is only one input to the mirror signal, the fact that you have two wires running TO it (one steady and one blinking) means the steady signal will overwhelm the blinking signal. Your LED turn signals will be LED running lights only.
floridaorangeboost85
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by floridaorangeboost85 »

yo i got the same prob, its just when i hook mine up, they are really dim, like kinda poinless to use even..
yamaboy
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by yamaboy »

DonTZ125 wrote:Nope. If there is only one input to the mirror signal, the fact that you have two wires running TO it (one steady and one blinking) means the steady signal will overwhelm the blinking signal. Your LED turn signals will be LED running lights only.

I hooked them up today.There are 2 wires on the mirrors(+ and -) I used the black wire(-) to the ground for the turn signals and the red(+) to the turn signal for the blinkers. Thanks.

Return to “Electrical: MODs/How-To/Issues”