1987 FZR 1000 any interest in parts

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Sellers: Your "For Sale" ad may be pulled if you do NOT have your location in your profile. New members with less than 10 posts should give adequate information concerning themselves and why they are selling.

Members: Please use your best judgement when buying from others online, whether it be from someone here or Craigslist or eBay. Use a service to pay, like PayPal, never send cash, checks or other payment. If possible, refrain from giving out too much of your personal information. We do not limit new users from selling as we want our members to be able to get first dibs. It can be risky buying from anyone. Use common sense. If it doesn't feel right - don't do it. If possible, buy from a reputable member.

Please Note: Neither FZROnline.com, nor those financially responsible for the domain, nor any of the community members, will be held responsible for any transaction in anyway being it financially or otherwise.

While not required to sell your items, if you feel compelled to do so, you may make a donation to this site via PayPal to donation@fzronline.com, to help keep this forum active.
soggydoo
Site Newbie

1987 FZR 1000 any interest in parts

Post by soggydoo »

im wondering if there ia any interest in parts off my 87 ZFR 1000

Should i part it or try to fix it ?

I need a CDI and cant find one for a reasonable price
DonTZ125

Re: 1987 FZR 1000 any interest in parts

Post by DonTZ125 »

You can send the TCI box to me; I'll take a look at it and see if I can fix it.
soggydoo
Site Newbie

Post by soggydoo »

we talked (emailed) last month im Ralph...Ill email you and get your address and send you the unit
KaMaKaZeE_FZR1
Site Newbie

Post by KaMaKaZeE_FZR1 »

dont part out the 87, they are getting few and far between these days. Im not sure if my ignition will work on your bike, it is from an 89-90 model and im not too farmiliar with the 87 and the differences in the electrical systems. Id ask around here for input and let me know if you are still interested.
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Re: 1987 FZR 1Yyy000 any interest in parts

Post by McFizzer »

Exup tci won't work on the gene. Veryyy different bikes

For the price of one, if don can't fix it. Id buy one from ebay... I mean tops its a 200 dollar part... to havethe bike running again, just my 2 cents
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Soggy - another option, if yours is irreparable, is that I could probably fabricate an adaptor harness to allow you to use an '89 ignitor (assuming the curves are comparable, and I believe they are). I have the wiring diagram for the '89-90; I'd really like to see the schematic for an '87 before I tried anything, of course.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

DonTZ125 wrote:Soggy - another option, if yours is irreparable, is that I could probably fabricate an adaptor harness to allow you to use an '89 ignitor (assuming the curves are comparable, and I believe they are). I have the wiring diagram for the '89-90; I'd really like to see the schematic for an '87 before I tried anything, of course.

Not saying this is impossible BUT 89+ uses EXUP where 87-88 doesn't. I'm no genius at this, and could very well be wrong, but I would imagine that you'd have to incorporate some kind of eliminator for that.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
soggydoo
Site Newbie

Post by soggydoo »

KaMaKaZeE_FZR1 wrote:dont part out the 87, they are getting few and far between these days. Im not sure if my ignition will work on your bike, it is from an 89-90 model and im not too farmiliar with the 87 and the differences in the electrical systems. Id ask around here for input and let me know if you are still interested.

Dont sent the TCI ....Im going to get on of Ebay that is from an 87.....from what im reading the 87-88 is a whole different animal.....
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Hi, Soggy.

If the EBay auction falls through, you can still send it to me for inspection & repair. Actually, if you win your could you send it to me anyway? I'm trying to build up a collection for the Exchange program. :cheers:

(You do realize, if the auction gets any more bids you're about to spend more on a used unit of dubious condition than you would for a refurb from me? Poke poke, poke poke... :deal: )
pferreira
Site Newbie

Post by pferreira »

I fixed mine using the wiki page on how to repair it! It was easy... and works great. Cost me like $20 USD
PFerreira
94 Yamaha FZR 1000 / 1997 HD Sportster 1200 / 2011 Bianchi Sempre (Veloce)
2000 Yamaha Blaster / 2000 Gaz Gaz
soggydoo
Site Newbie

Post by soggydoo »

Don ....I dont think the one i have is stock.....the guy i bought the bike form said the guy HE bought it from bought something off ebay and in researching it the part numbers, dont match.

and am i right to say i cant check the coils till i get a working TCU/TCI in the bike?
soggydoo
Site Newbie

Post by soggydoo »

pferreira wrote:I fixed mine using the wiki page on how to repair it! It was easy... and works great. Cost me like $20 USD

Link please!
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Soggy - there weren't that many FZR TCIs made with the narrow footprint. What does it say on the box on your bike right now?

You CAN test your coils on the bike without a TCI, but it isn't for the faint of heart:
  • 1. With the power off, unplug and test the primary resistance of the coils. If they are obviously blown, there is no point in proceeding to the next steps.
    2. Unplug the 6-pin connector on the TCI.
    3. Test the resistance of the GREY (2-3) and ORANGE (1-4) wires, from coil connector to TCI connector. They should be awfully low. High resistance means a wiring problem.
    3a. Plug coil connectors back in! (forgot this step initially)
    4. Strip two short leads at both ends. Insert one end of one lead into the BLACK wire terminal on the TCI connector; insert one end of the other lead into the ORANGE wire terminal. Ensure the lead ends are NOT touching.
    5. Pull either the #1 or #4 spark cap; insert a spare plug and ensure it is in good contact with the head.
    6. Ensuring the lead ends are NOT in contact, turn on the key and kill switch.
    7. Tap the lead ends together ONCE, as quickly as you can - do NOT hold them together! A spark should be seen at the plug; a spark may also be present at the lead ends. Repeat once or twice if uncertain; performing this in the dark or with a helper may be more certain.
    8. Turn the power off. Set up to test the GREY lead and either #2 or #3 plugs; turn on the power and test.
    9. Turn the power off, replace all displaced connectors.
Holding the leads together WILL destroy whichever coil is being tested! The normal dwell time is measured in milliseconds; significant damage will probably occur in less than a second! CONDUCT THIS TEST AT YOUR OWN RISK

Edit - added step 3a; if you followed the original instructions exactly, you accomplish absolutely Sweet F. All... banghead
Last edited by DonTZ125 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soggydoo
Site Newbie

Post by soggydoo »

in your steps you frogot to put "video this for everyone to learn from"

Ya imma pass on that LOL

this is one bike I will be taking my time on to fix
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »