How do you paint aluminium?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

trifgeorge
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

How do you paint aluminium?

Post by trifgeorge »

Hy guys. I've put a gsxr600 srad swingarm onto my '92 600. I painted the frame gloss black. The swingarm has some scratches on it. I would like to paint the swingarm. The powdercoating and anodizing is out of question as don't know anyone near me that could do that. The main question is, how do i spraypaint the swingarm? Do i just brush off the old thing that is on (i don't know what it is, but its grey) then apply primer, paint and clear coat?
1992 Yamaha FZR 600 3HE with:
GSX600F fully adjustable rebound forks
GSX600F front wheel with full floating disks
Sigma BC 1009 speedometer
YZF 600 Thundercat tank
Red Rizoma like grips
R6 pilot seat
Complete custom made tail with custom made rear seat
Led front and rear signals and tail light
Custom fiberglass electrics box
R6 Voltage regulator
Custom made rearset hangers
Custom made A123 LiFePO4 battery
KOSO mirrors
GSXR600SRAD swingarm-rear wheel assemby with 180/55/17 Michelin Pilot Power 2CT rear tyre
FZR1000 hydraulic clutch
H1 HID
Hand made mirror plates
racerd14666
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: How do you paint aluminium?

Post by racerd14666 »

if the grey paint is still in good shape and not flaky you can save your self a load of time and just just give it a scratch coat with like 200-400 grit since that stuff is stuck on better than the rattle can your gonna apply you might as well use it as a base then apply primer then color and clear
Yamaha Certified Technician

But i also work on Ducati's Bmw's Moto Guzzi's and Mv Agusta's Ect.
steph42
Site Newbie

Post by steph42 »

Clean the arm with a scotchbrite pad, then use an etch primer as this will bite into the alloy and provide a better base for the paint oh and will also stop the paint flaking off as quick. Smoothrite in gloss black is very hard wearing ive used it many times on frames and is also available in aerosol these days. remember to mask off any areas you dnt want painted.

steph :headbang:
trifgeorge
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by trifgeorge »

Thank you guys. i already cleaned the whole swingarm with a wire brush, applied primer and paint. Now i have to apply one more coat of paint and then the clear coat. I also have swingarm spools so the paint will not be stressed by the swingarm stand.
How much time should i wait between the coats of the clear?
YZF 600 Thundercat tank
Red Rizoma like grips
R6 pilot seat
R6 Voltage regulator
KOSO mirrors
GSXR600SRAD swingarm-rear wheel assemby with 180/55/17 Michelin Pilot Power 2CT rear tyre
FZR1000 hydraulic clutch
H1 HID
Hand made mirror plates
racerd14666
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by racerd14666 »

it depends on what you are using there should be some kind of info on the can of what ever you are using they might call it flash time or re coat window
Yamaha Certified Technician

But i also work on Ducati's Bmw's Moto Guzzi's and Mv Agusta's Ect.
trifgeorge
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by trifgeorge »

I use a paint gun to apply paint and clear coat. On the can there is nothing written about the time between the coats. I applyed it at intervals of 20 minutes. It came out pretty decent.
YZF 600 Thundercat tank
Red Rizoma like grips
R6 pilot seat
R6 Voltage regulator
KOSO mirrors
FZR1000 hydraulic clutch
H1 HID
Hand made mirror plates
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

trifgeorge wrote:I use a paint gun to apply paint and clear coat. On the can there is nothing written about the time between the coats. I applyed it at intervals of 20 minutes. It came out pretty decent.
:nopic :nopic :nopic :nopic :nopic :rofl:
Fzrmike33
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Fzrmike33 »

First take some acetone and clean off the swingarm till clean, then take some sandpaper and sand all loose paint or finsh till butt smooth. Then take a scottchbrite pad and scuff the whole swing arm good, then clean again with acetone, paint thinner. Get some self etching primer, put 2 light coats on the swing arm, then get some eastwood extreme chasis epoxy paint and spray 2 coats on swingarm, and then clear.

This stuff is the toughest paint you will find on the market, the only thing that holds up better is powder coat, this stuff is good. http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chasis- ... h-set.html you should be good to go. Of course you should have painted the whole frame with this stuff cause regular paint wont last 5 months and starts peeling and chipping.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Fzrmike33 wrote:First take some acetone and clean off the swingarm till clean, then take some sandpaper and sand all loose paint or finish till butt smooth. Then take a scotchbrite pad and scuff the whole swing arm good, then clean again with acetone, paint thinner. Get some self etching primer, put 2 light coats on the swing arm, then get some eastwood extreme chassis epoxy paint and spray 2 coats on swingarm, and then clear.

This stuff is the toughest paint you will find on the market, the only thing that holds up better is powder coat, this stuff is good. http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chasis- ... h-set.html you should be good to go. Of course you should have painted the whole frame with this stuff cause regular paint wont last 5 months and starts peeling and chipping.
Mike,
whilst I have used the Eastwood stuff when i was stateside (& more of their products besides) I doubt that T_G will be able to obtain it in Romania where he lives. I usually now get my cousin in NY to order me may stuff and have him ship it as Eastwood are shall we say reluctant to ship to me here in the UK.

The Prep stuff is spot on and would have been close to what I would have written if T_G had not already posted he had done the swinger already, by the time I saw the post.
trifgeorge
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by trifgeorge »

YG, here are the pics.
ImageImageImage
If the paint will peal off, then i shall let it bear aluminium till next winter when i hope i can buy my own powder coating gun from the States.
I have done the same thing with the clutch and brake levers last year but i have put them in my kitchen over after i applied the clear, and they have lasted with no problem. The oven is not big enough to be able to fit the swingarm in.
YZF 600 Thundercat tank
Red Rizoma like grips
R6 pilot seat
R6 Voltage regulator
KOSO mirrors
FZR1000 hydraulic clutch
H1 HID
Hand made mirror plates
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

T_G,
thanks for posting certainly look OK, as TK posted last month an oven enclosure is not essential for "cooking" paint (in his case powder coat) he used heat lamps for that job instead.

With regard powder coating I have on my web site an article by a DIY powder coat guy :-

http://saltmine.org.uk/kgb/powder.html

TK if you read the page and let us all know if the info has been outdated in some way it would be good for all of us . THNX
Fzrmike33
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Fzrmike33 »

Sorry didnt see he was in Romania, i would have bought and shipped it for him if interested. :grinnod:
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Fzrmike33 wrote:Sorry didnt see he was in Romania, i would have bought and shipped it for him if interested. :grinnod:
Mike,
nice offer I am sure next time around it can be something to think on, me too as that cuz is a bit slow at moving on stuff at times LoL