Front wheel spinning slow

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

jtfizz
Site Newbie

Post by jtfizz »

Hey Everyone,

Glad to join the forum. Got a '92 from a friend and currently servicing it to get it back to working condition. It was kept outside and idle for several years so it is in poor condition. Just took it in for a basic tune up service (e.g. new battery, change oil, carbs cleaned etc...) and the bike fires up ok now.

One main issue that my service guy can't seem to figure out is that apparently the front wheel does not seem to spin freely. Almost feels like the front brakes are being slightly applied or something. He claims he flushed the brake line and took off the rim to align it and has adjusted the front wheel bolts but still the issue persists.

I'm open to suggestions on what the problem might be and what to check out. Thx!
rotortech
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: Front wheel spinning slow

Post by rotortech »

Unless he specifically checked I would say that the calipers are dragging. They need to be overhauled and may need new seals and pistons.

You could have bad wheel bearings (you didn't mention if he checked those) or a bent axle bolt. I would bet my money on the calipers since it is a common problem.
Rotortech
Indianapolis, IN

[color=#0040FF][b]1994 FZR 600[/b]
[list]RaceTech Springs
R6 Rear Shock
FactoryPro Jet Kit
Drop-in K&N Filter[/list][/color]
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

You can remove the calipers (at the caliper/fork leg mount point-no need to remove the actual brake lines) and see if it spins more freely-if so, it is most likely what rotortech said.

If not, you probably have a wheel bearing issue
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Agreed
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
jdugen
Site Newbie

Post by jdugen »

Agree with all above.

BUT. If your mechanic dosn't know this...... well.... I'd be taking the bike somewhere else!!! Quick!!!
rotortech
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by rotortech »

jdugen wrote:Agree with all above.

BUT. If your mechanic dosn't know this...... well.... I'd be taking the bike somewhere else!!! Quick!!!
Good point John. By the way jt asked the question I would assume that a new mechanic is required. :whistle
Rotortech
Indianapolis, IN

[color=#0040FF][b]1994 FZR 600[/b]
[list]RaceTech Springs
R6 Rear Shock
FactoryPro Jet Kit
Drop-in K&N Filter[/list][/color]
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

Could it be binding if the axle is over tightened?
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

_Will_ wrote:Could it be binding if the axle is over tightened?
It shouldn't if the internal spacer collar is a) still between the bearings and b) the spacer is not beat up/ground down etc.

I am kinda with jdugen on the mechanic quality....having the bike in his reach, it should be pretty easy to figure out.

Another thing that may be an issue is if the 'tabs' the wheel hub and the corresponding notches in the speedo drive weren't aligned-this may be a point of friction causing this issue.

#1 in order of likelyhood still remains dragging calipers.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor