My YZF750R

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: My YZF750R

Post by cad600 »

Na, he didn't buy mine. But there will be a few pics of them together. From 20ft, his will look a lot better than mine because of my miss matched fairings. But I have an OHLINS.

I'm not planning on doing anything with mine for a while. I'm starting to think about fairings and where to get them from. Place in the UK is the only one left that makes road version of the stock body work anymore. I can get the front, sides, and belly pan for about $400-500 shipped. I've heard that they are a little slow, but very good quality and fitment. Although I may decide to go after a new front end first. I have to see how the summer work schedule goes. I'd love to get an Ohlins front end for it.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

cad600 wrote: I've heard that they are a little slow,
Cad, yup they are slow as they are fresh made for you not off some dusty shelf
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Who are you using? Skidmarx seems to be good over there n they have a us distiburator over here in the states(getting my double bubble through them) I can't wait to see the pictures YZF 750 <33333
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

id like to come over and check it out sometime now that i know your so close! and go check out that bad ass fzr of yours
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

McFizzer wrote:Who are you using? Skidmarx seems to be good over there n they have a us distiburator over here in the states(getting my double bubble through them) I can't wait to see the pictures YZF 750 <33333
My contact is Chris which is all I can bloody remember (getting old but can remember Portsmouth or Southampton based company ) I was given his contacts thro Alan at ALKAMOTO

He has Ebay shop as well as website of the same name.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

OK, I've been wanting to do one particular thing since I got this bike, So I got a package in the mail today that I've been waiting on for a while now. Here are the pics.

Now I have a full Ohlins set up for the bike. I was going to just do the drop in cartridge, but the shop wasn't too thrilled with the condition of my original forks. So I decided to go all the way instead. This set up is for an 07/08 R1. I had them do the "race" prep on it to lengthen the forks 10mm so they are only 25mm (1 inch) shorter than the stock ones. Which when I set them level with the triple, I will only be about 1/2" shorter than the setting I was originally running. My original forks are fine, and the shop is a little anal about suspension. But I don't mind one bit. I love these things. Got a major chubby as soon as I opened the box.

I've already got the front fender, axle, and calipers. I'm intent on using my R6 front wheel because it uses 310mm rotors just like the new R1 does. And it will fit into the stock triples. I only have to get a 1mm thick bushing made to take up the difference in overall diameters. The YZF750 uses a 56mm dia fork bottom while the R1 uses a 54mm. Once I get that sorted out, I'll be on the road with full Ohlins suspension.

I'm going to put my original forks back onto the bike until I get it ready to go. 4 weeks without riding is killing me right now.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

So now I needed to take everything else apart to work on the front end.

I originally wanted to have some 1mm thick bushings made to take up the difference between the 54mm forks and the 56mm triple. But I was having a hard time with this in my head. After talking to a few people about the item, I started re-thinking how it should be done. Then I finally realized what size the material really is. Billy had tried to explain it to me before I started down the road of machine work for the bushings and I decided to give it a try. So I found some .04" aluminum sheet from a local place for $2.65 and a $0.43 PVC pipe fitting to give me some basic shape. Cut out a section and bent it around the pipe. Trim to fit and bend it over to create a lip. All done. I still might try the machine route, but I need to rethink the size of the material given the pain in the ass it was to get the fork tubes in there. Going below 1mm wall thickness on something 56mm DIA may not work.

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Tubes are in.

R6 rim from my 600 build works as it uses 310mm rotors just like the R1 does.

6 Pot Radial mount calipers. Only bad part about them is the cost of replacing the pads. Going to be over $100 for new brake pads.

Love the look of the caps.

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Not....

...fair
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Ah, come one now. You can do the same thing. All you got to do is be willing to sleep in the dog house for a few weeks till the wife gets over the purchase. LOL

chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

OHH.............AGHH..mm.......IIGHPM...
I
WANT
THIS
TOO
. :yikes: :notworthy:
Nick Howe
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Nick Howe »

Those Ohlins are amazing :notworthy: soooo tempting..... but I have to be a nagger and say "why not racetech?" it would be just as good, but not as gold.....
There are no small days.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Nick Howe wrote:Those Ohlins are amazing :notworthy: soooo tempting..... but I have to be a nagger and say "why not racetech?" it would be just as good, but not as gold.....
Simply because they are Ohlins. I don't view the Racetech as being on the same level as these. Don't get me wrong though as the Racetech stuff is good.

Nick Howe
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Nick Howe »

I feel you man, its like I tell my rice rocket friends, no matter how fast they are, the badges are still "toyota, honda, nissan," and not Lambourghini, Ferrari, or even BMW
You can dress up a dog like a lion, but its still a dog

-no disrespect to the ricers, mad props to your fab skillz, I had a 240sx that was held together with zip ties :thumbsup:
There are no small days.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Well, it has been a while with the YZF750. I had to sell off the Ohlins front end. I'm still not over that. But some times ya got to do what ya got to do.

I got tired of the miss-matched body work and my plan was to paint it the entire time. So I finally got around to doing it. I thought I had developed a coolant leak or a blown head gasket so I dug into the bike a little but it turned out to be a small weep from a coolant line. That gave me ample time to paint. I used aircraft stripper to get the factory paint off the tank. There was bondo one one spot from the factory as the tank had not been repainted before I got it.

Anyways, here is a reminder of how it looked when I picked it up.

And here it is now.

Since I had to sell off the Ohlins, I wasn't going to go back to the original YZF calipers. They suck. So I did the R6 brake upgrade which also required some Duc rotors so I didn't have to shave down the pads.

Later.