High Idle after running?

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

DrHeckley
Site Newbie

High Idle after running?

Post by DrHeckley »

I have a question regarding after awhile of riding, my 1991 1k will idle at like 4-5k. Like I have my choke up, but it's all the way down. I'm not that bike savvy at all, and just picked up this bike and was wondering if there was any insight to be had about this. Rolling up to red lights idling at 5k gets old real fast, especially next to a car full of college girls :(
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: High Idle after running?

Post by sweekster »

I would try adjusting the idle down. There's a small hold on the left side of the frame. Stick a Phillips head screw driver in there and you should be able to get to the idle adjustment screw. Turn it counter clockwise while the bike is running you'll here it "calm" down.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

been doing this sence you bought it? if not the idle adjust try looking for a stuck choke plunger or spray carb cleaner around the intake box, carbs and manifolds. an increase in rpm means you have a air leak
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Check the idle as Duane mentioned. Also could be that you're carbs are way out of sync
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
fire-medic
Site Newbie

Post by fire-medic »

To me, this screams of a bad throttle cable adjustment. Perhaps even a kinked cable housing, pinched cable, incorrect run to the carbs for the cables, etc. I am surprised it wasn't mentioned already. You need to stop riding it until you fix the problem, you could easily get hurt, especially if you experienced an inability to work your clutch. If you don't have the mechanical aptitude, then find a good shop who can help you avoid serious injury.
DrHeckley
Site Newbie

Post by DrHeckley »

That's really funny. I just got into a pretty intense accident because my throttle got stuck. Was pulling out of a gas station, and my throttle opened all the way up and started to burn the rear tire. I went down to one side, let go of the throttle (With no change in acceleration) and the tire caught and away we went. back tire immediately broke again, and I went down to the other side but this time when it caught I was thrown a good 40 feet.

So bike is now in the shop getting all fixed up :) oh and I look like Dr House gimpin on a cane but luckily all of my gear took all the blow for me. 4 pants, 3 shirts a sweater and jacket and backpack.
rotortech
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by rotortech »

Ouch. I am sorry to hear that you crashed. Luckily you were not seriously hurt from the sounds of it.
Rotortech
Indianapolis, IN

[color=#0040FF][b]1994 FZR 600[/b]
[list]RaceTech Springs
R6 Rear Shock
FactoryPro Jet Kit
Drop-in K&N Filter[/list][/color]
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

DrHeckley wrote:That's really funny. I just got into a pretty intense accident because my throttle got stuck. Was pulling out of a gas station, and my throttle opened all the way up and started to burn the rear tire. I went down to one side, let go of the throttle (With no change in acceleration) and the tire caught and away we went. back tire immediately broke again, and I went down to the other side but this time when it caught I was thrown a good 40 feet.

So bike is now in the shop getting all fixed up :) oh and I look like Dr House gimpin on a cane but luckily all of my gear took all the blow for me. 4 pants, 3 shirts a sweater and jacket and backpack.
#

Glad you are not too badly hurt as an old biker told me after a spill the best brake in those circumstances is the kill switch (easily said I must admit in hind sight)
DrHeckley
Site Newbie

Post by DrHeckley »

Or the clutch, or anything I suppose. hehehe unfortunately I'm a novice rider, and it all happened so fast that before I really even knew what was happening I was laying down the street. I've thought about incorperating a device that kills the motor if my arm goes so far away from the handlebars, like on some tredmills you attach to your shirt and if you pull it out by falling or something it kills everything.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Lanyard kill switches are pretty much de riguer on Jetskis etc, and some dirt bikes carry them too.
91fzr600r
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by 91fzr600r »

i had a similar problem. but mine was 3 deferent problems. 1st, i had rusty cables so i replaced them ( same cable routing as when i got the bike) 2nd, wrong cable routing (asked a few people on this lovely forum and got a few pics put back 2 factory routing) finally 3rd, cable adjustmet 2 tight ( put a lil slack in them like says 2 in the manual) FIXED!!!!!
STAY FAST AND KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP!! jack @ classic auto
fire-medic
Site Newbie

Post by fire-medic »

I am sorry my suggestion didn't arrive before Fate did. The unfortunate thing about being a novice is, as you found out, your reflexive reaction is often inadequate to deal with the situation. Another novice accident is carrying too-much speed into a corner, then panic-braking, which stands the bike up, and sailing straight off the outside of the curve. Save the hot-dogging for the track! The standard response at the riding seminars is, "trust your bike, lean a bit more and roll off the throttle to make the curve." Unfortunately, the novice doesn't possess the reflexes to successfully accomplish this. Only with time and familiarity with your bike will you be able to lean like that. Take a look at your footpegs, do they still have the diagonally-mounted, ball-end lean indicators on them? If they do, have you ever touched one down? I bet you have not. With traction, you can lean your bike even further!

Every time I get a new bike that I am going to keep, I buy the factory service manual. It is the source for things like adjustments, cable routings, wear limits, maintenance, and of course, overhauls. They are expensive, but they are worth the investment. In the case of a used bike, then I check it out for properly-torqued bolts/fasteners, the right fasteners, wear items still being serviceable, cable routings & adjustments, etc. This has saved me time, $, and injuries!

Hill climbers use an old pair of points as a lanyard kill switch, affixed to the bike usually by the right handlebar. There is a place for this, I do not agree the street is necessarily that place. You would be better-off developing good riding habits and learning about your mechanicals. Community colleges often have mcy classes where you can learn about maintenance.

My wife wants me to stop riding, she offered to buy me a Honda S2000 if I agreed to sell my bike. I have owned my FZR 1000 going on 24 yrs. now and don't ride as much as I used to. I have driven an S2000 and they are akin to a bike in the immediacy of handling and open-air motoring with the top down. Let us not forget the cammy-effect of the VTEC valve train and the 9000 rpm redline! Maybe I can use the FZR 1000 for an occasional ride and for show exhibitions. I have already been acquiring the n.o.s. bodywork to make it 'pretty.' I don't intend to ride w/that stuff in-place, just to mount it to show the bike. It's a long way from being the show-quality trailer queen, but bit-by-bit...I just did my wheels in stock color powder coat, along w/some fairing & instrument mounting brackets, buying n.o.s. mirrors, etc.

Anyway, I hope you heal quickly, and get a factory manual and check-out your ride! :drink: