FS:- Kenny Roberts Proton 2002 race bike

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: FS:- Kenny Roberts Proton 2002 race bike

Post by cad600 »

You know the old saying - "If you ave to ask how much, you can't afford it" - well I can't afford that bike by a long shot but I would love to know how much it sells for.

They've got the 3 cylinder 2 stroke and the 5 cylinder Honda engined 4 stroke. Plus many other nice race machines.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
abs929cbrrr
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by abs929cbrrr »

screw that i got a RC51~
02 xr200r set up for XC
96 trx300ex set up for XC

im roadbike less!!!!!!
Yamster
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by Yamster »

We can dream :tks: .
Just imagine....a track day at cadwell on that WOOT .
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Yamster wrote:We can dream :tks: .
Just imagine....a track day at cadwell on that WOOT .
Yeh, but John Kosinski's team Roberts GP bike at Brands Hatch was enough to satisfy me for the rest of my life. I cannot get the feel out of my head of having Kenny riding one handed looking back to encourage me to go faster & me going so fast as to be truly frightened (remember the thought of dropping a100K motorcycle ) :deal:
Yamster
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by Yamster »

yamaha_george wrote:Yeh, but John Kosinski's team Roberts GP bike at Brands Hatch was enough to satisfy me for the rest of my life. I cannot get the feel out of my head of having Kenny riding one handed looking back to encourage me to go faster & me going so fast as to be truly frightened (remember the thought of dropping a100K motorcycle ) :deal:

Must have been some day that one George :thumbsup: .
Maybe one day i may be privalidged enough to have a go on one similar.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Yamster wrote: Must have been some day that one George :thumbsup: ..
Yam,
put it this way Mate it rates in my top 5 best days in 64 years, as to the bit about privileged darn right but then life deals those kind of things by just being in the right place at the right time. Kenny was well known in America when I first met him but outside know one knew who I was talking about! He became a legend overnight it seemed at the time and I next met him at Springfield with "The Beast" . we exchanged the odd note over the next twenty odd years then I literally bumped into him at Brands Hatch and it was like we were neighbours such is the man. had lunch and sat drinking with him and the GP crowd of the day in I believe Kevin 's motorhome, then onto the infield & pits. I wish I had my camera with me but the memories are for me it seems.
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

can someone shed some light for me, whats with all the exhaust pipes? 3 of em and one in a different place than the others.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

The bike in the direct link is Kenny Roberts own personal design. Every last bit of it. He had the chassis built and the engine built to his specs. It is a 500cc 2-stroke 3 cylinder beast. The top 2 cylinders exit directly under the rider through the tail and the bottom cylinder snakes around under the swingarm to the right side of the bike.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
Yamster
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by Yamster »

yamaha_george wrote:
Yamster wrote: Must have been some day that one George :thumbsup: ..
Yam,
put it this way Mate it rates in my top 5 best days in 64 years, as to the bit about privileged darn right but then life deals those kind of things by just being in the right place at the right time.I wish I had my camera with me but the memories are for me it seems.
Too true,too true,and who needs photo's with memories like that.
Look at it this way George,you where probably going too fast to get a good picture anyway :headbang: :thumbsup: .
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Yamster wrote: Too true,too true,and who needs photo's with memories like that.
Look at it this way George,you where probably going too fast to get a good picture anyway :headbang: :thumbsup: .
Too bloody right there was no way I was moving a finger off those bars except to apply brakes :0
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

so its not a inline 3? why not just use a collector? two strokes run better with individual exhausts?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

apsolus wrote:so its not a inline 3? why not just use a collector? two strokes run better with individual exhausts?
A,
no two cyls at the top out side, the inner middle one points down rather like one of the Honda NS 400<?>

Two strokes make their power from the pipe design , so collectors would be a no no .For more on this A. Graham Bell's book** is a good reference that is simple if a little dated.

** in the wiki books section
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

apsolus wrote:so its not a inline 3? why not just use a collector? two strokes run better with individual exhausts?
Oh, the monumental ignorance implied in that simple question... :jawdrop: :grin:

A properly tuned two-stroke expansion chamber can suck 'n' stuff fresh charge into the combustion chamber equivalent to running 7-8psi of boost. This, combined with putting out a power pulse every 360deg vice the 720 of a 4-stroke, is what allows 2T engines to produce the ridiculous specific power rates that they did (MotoGP had to go to litre bikes to push the 500s out).

The timing of the positive and negative pulses flying around inside doesn't lend itself to multiple pipes; snowmobiles used to run 2-1 and even 3-1 headers, but power was almost always improved by going to individual chambers. I can't think of a single sport bike, much less serious race bike, that ever ran 'headered' chambers.
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

oh i see my questions have been answered thanks, but ignorant? cmon man we cant all know everything! jk :nerd