cross roads, need second opinon(s)

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

sleepyz0mby
Site Newbie

cross roads, need second opinon(s)

Post by sleepyz0mby »

over the years i have accumulated a bunch of mods for my fzr600. looks like this winter i finally have the time to get it together again.

the big Q: is the fzr a good intro bike the track? or should i plan on parting it out to pay for a more updated track bike.

Extras:
fzr frame
02 thundercat motor
02 thundercat forks
fox rear shock
FP shift kit
FP carb kit
D&D full exhaust w/ pipe
airtech body work.

needs:
yzf600 swinger
yzf600 tank
paint/body work
lots of work

i know the main rule about the track is dont bring something you can afford to fix! i just wana know what yall think!

thanks!
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: cross roads, need second opinon(s)

Post by apsolus »

fzr is the perfect beginner bike, and def for the track you break it and we will be all ready to help you fix it, if you break it! lol sorry
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Well... I probably shouldn't, but here I go:

I was once at the crossroads like you. I had a complete FZR600 and was building a 400/600 hybrid (Fox shock, YZF motor, YZF swingarm, etc...) specifically for the track. Then I took the complete FZR to my first Track Day - I was hooked. I learned a couple things right then and there. The FZR radiator was not big enough to cool the beast and there was not good place for crash protection - I crash, FZR done. The FZR did well at the first Track Day, but I became concerned about hybrid issues. Just slapping on other parts from other bikes does not mean that they work well together. It was a tough decision, but I decided to sell most of my FZR stuff.

I ended up buying a newer (2005) GSXR600 about 3 years ago. I wanted an R6, but they were all too pricey. To be honest with you, most newer bikes are so similar that it really doesn't matter what brand you choose. Plus, the GSXRs shifting is butter smooth.

The benefits to the newer bike are many: cheap tire set prices, no fooling around with carbs, plenty of after-market crash protection items, stabilizers that are direct-fit, fiberglass bodies, insane braking, fully adjustable suspension... etc... I have a lot more confidence in my riding on the GSXR. It has a more natural feeling to it at the track.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. What I was doing prior made no sense - I was spending so much money on the FZR hybrid even though it wouldn't come close to the GSXR600's performance.

It's your choice. In my situation, I was looking at Track Days, not racing. If you're into Vintage Racing, then the FZR is a good bike to have.

Top Photo: My First Track Day on the FZR
Middle Photo: One of my first Track Days on the GSXR
Bottom Photo: From a Track Day this past June on the GSXR

Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
sleepyz0mby
Site Newbie

Post by sleepyz0mby »

haha i guess neither apply any more, the woman was yappin about wanting a bike. me having 2 and her having none is "not fair" bonkonhead
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

sleepyz0mby wrote:haha i guess neither apply any more, the woman was yappin about wanting a bike. me having 2 and her having none is "not fair" bonkonhead
SZ,
Makes sense to me you still have two bikes its not like she wants both gone and you back in your cage.

FZR is a good track bike cheapish to maintain whilst learning, once like RD you get the hang of it get a more modern bike. If racing is not for you then what have you lost ? nothing but time.
If you are good, the lady will support you if you sell one and buy another. Win/Win.