The rebuild goes on- Pics!- Complete

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid

Re: The rebuild goes on- Pics!

Post by thatkid »

Gota agree very nice work, but should this not be in the "Videos & Pictures" forum?

I thought the 600 Garage was for technical issue's, I love pics tho.
lewdog
Site Newbie

Post by lewdog »

Now that you mention it I think your right! Sorry about that. Rookie mistake.
2005 FJR1300- Daily ride
1990 FZR600- Stock
1984 KR RZ350- Restored
lewdog
Site Newbie

Post by lewdog »

More progress being made. Wheels painted and tires mounted. Found a V&H can on ebay too.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by lewdog on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 FJR1300- Daily ride
1990 FZR600- Stock
1984 KR RZ350- Restored
kiki231
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by kiki231 »

WOW!
couple more questions -- what brand of grips are you using? they look better than stock.
Did you polish your plastic lenses?

thanks!

Chris
When things get expensive, I become a fast learner...

[i]1989 FZR600
2009 R1[/i]
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

I'll say it again - Darn nice looking FZR600 so far. The chain guard even looks brand new! :cheers:
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
blensen
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by blensen »

You can color me impressed. Awesome build. And I'm not going to lie, I'm really really jealous of your garage!
1994 FZR600: Hardly anything left stock
02 R6 Front End
Ducati M900 Seat/Taillight
Honda VFR750 Swingarm/Wheel
No Spacer 660
YZF600 Tank
Renthal Dirt Bars
Too much else...
steph42
Site Newbie

Post by steph42 »

Thats gona be 1 sweet bike when its done.....factory fresh...Nice :thumbsup:

Steve
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

My lord, look at the coolant res. Look likes you can use it as a cantine.... Such a clean build. I hope HOPE mine comes out half as nice =X
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

are you going to be entering it in any competitions? it does look awesome but I notice you stuck with the candy bar type VR that's so hated for being faulty so I'm wondering if you're trying to keep it perfectly stock
lewdog
Site Newbie

Post by lewdog »

:tks: I used ProGrip gel grips. The plastic lenses were polished to remove years of scratches and fading. The stock VR was working fine when i rode it home after the puchase. When I reassembled it I use some heat sink paste behind it to aid in heat dissipation, cleaned up all the terminals and grounds. We'll see! I did buy the upgrade VR just in case. I don't plan on showing it, I just like restoring older bikes which I never had a chance to own when they were first introduced. The project is turning out pretty good! Just hope it still starts.
2005 FJR1300- Daily ride
1990 FZR600- Stock
1984 KR RZ350- Restored
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

just amazing
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

Yamster
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by Yamster »

ClapHands
Very nice!
Looking forward to seeing it dressed up.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

lewdog wrote:The stock VR was working fine when i rode it home after the puchase. When I reassembled it I use some heat sink paste behind it to aid in heat dissipation, cleaned up all the terminals and grounds. We'll see! I did buy the upgrade VR just in case.
Beautiful bike...

The problem and danger with the VRR is that (without a voltage gauge) you can't really tell if it's going off until other things really start to go wonky and/or die. I have to assume that somewhere in that immaculate palace you call a garage you have a voltmeter / multimeter. Measure VDC across the battery terminals while holding ~ 5000 revs; if you're around 14.5v, it's good to go.

Be very careful with thermal paste - the issue with the VRRs is not heat in and of itself so much as ground-path resistance. A stock installation grounds through the VRR body, through the heat sink, through the subframe and frame to the harness to the battery. That's a lot of connections, each of which can get fouled / corroded / dirty / loose, increasing resistance and generating heat. Depending on which compound you use, and how much, the paste can itself act as an electrical insulator, rendering the VRR completely unable to do its job and thus dumping full rectified alternator voltage into the harness. (insert BOOM smiley)

I see that you have a dedicated ground wire at one of the VRR bolts - is that stock, or a mod? It will prevent a great many problems if in good condition (not something I think we need to worry about on YOUR bike!), as it bypasses the convoluted OEM ground circuit.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Wow! Great looking bike. It looks showroom new, very impressive.
lewdog
Site Newbie

Post by lewdog »

Thanks dontz125 for the VR background. I never realy knew that there was not a dedicated ground wire to the VR case. This one had it as stock in the harness which goes directly to the battery. I could see how just using a case ground could cause problems. When I disassembled it there was all kinds of corrosion behind the case as well as the heat sink up against the frame bracket. The ground wire was in good shape on both ends. I replaced the complete VR socket and terminals on the harness and cleaned the VR terminals. The only reason I used heat sink paste is their are no heat sink fins on the stock VR. I figured it couldn't hurt.
2005 FJR1300- Daily ride
1990 FZR600- Stock
1984 KR RZ350- Restored