fzr 1000 (87) front fork swap

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

akronos
Site Newbie

fzr 1000 (87) front fork swap

Post by akronos »

Hello guys from italy, i have found a complete front fork from gsx-r 1000 (1996). Can i swap into my fzr 1000? It is a difficult operation?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: fzr 1000 (87) front fork swap

Post by yamaha_george »

akronos wrote:Hello guys from italy, i have found a complete front fork from gsx-r 1000 (1996). Can i swap into my fzr 1000? It is a difficult operation?
Hi,
Welcome please put your location in your profile so we know every time you post where you are.

I believe (not a Suzuki fan ) that the gixxer1K 1996 has USD forks & most USD forks are shorter than conventional forks so that will alter how the bike sits on the road & the way it turns.

I doubt, that the gixxer forks will slide straight into the fork clamps so you need those too that means that the steering stem may be an issue to long too short and that the bearings Suzuki uses may not be the same dimensions that Yamaha uses on its 1K.

Once the forks are in you will find out whether the Yamaha axle fits i.e diameter, length.......

then the width of the calipers on the GIXXER forks will they fit over the Yamaha brake discs ?

All of these you must consider.
The obvious solution is to buy the WHOLE front end, wheel, discs, fender,axle triple,tree as well as the fork legs

I hope this helps you with your decision, remember nothing is impossible, I have a 2004 Ducati 996 fork set on an RD400 from 1980.
:-}
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

good luck with your swap. im gonna try some exup forks on my genisis as soon as i find time to remove it! :shocker
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

As YG said you're going to need the whole front end for it to be as easy as possible and have the steering stem pressed into the lower. As far as length goes, its a 96? Isn't that a 1100? If so I don't see length being such a problem and the weight of the 1100 is something like 40lb's more so that could make up for the realitivly stock undersprung 1k forks. I think the 1100's used 4 pot tokico's if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck but yeah you're gonna need the steering stem pressed out in almost any case. There's a guy on here Dave who is selling his yzf750 front end with race tech internas that'd make a sweeettt conversion. Talked with him over the phone a few days ago, nice guy. You should contact him and see if you can work something out...

Where are you located?

Cheers

-ant
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
steph42
Site Newbie

Post by steph42 »

I've fitted a ducati 996 (showa in pic as the ohlins need rebuilt banghead ) set up to the front of my 89 1k it was really straight forward only requiring a suitable sized adaptor sleeve for the bottom yolk and brackets made for whatever calipers you choose to use. the ohlins frontend is just as easy to fit and now the front handles as it should.

Steve :headbang:
dustydes
Site Newbie

Post by dustydes »

Hi

I've fitted R1 4XV front end to my FZR1000 Exup 89 street fighter project.
As said before you will need complete front. I had to have the stems pressed out the FZR stem made shorter and refitted to R1 yolks, also spacer for top yolk. The stops on the frame cut down.
You will also loose your steering lock and speedo. I went for a Vapour unit for Rev/Speed.
It usually works out cheaper to buy front end complete, check out prices.

Yolks
Forks
Clipons
Wheel & tyre
Spindle
Spacers
Discs & bolts
Calipers, bolts & Pads
Mud guard
Digital Speedo

Streetfighter project ££££££££££££££££££. So far, lot's more to do
R1 Front complete
YZF750 rear swing arm
R1 Rear wheel
R1 2010 rear plastics and seat
Short levers
ZXR7 clutch slave Possible changing to cable
Risers & drag bars
Vapor speedo

It's not very hard to do just sounds like it but parts are quite costly.
Look about, Ebay prices can be high i found some of my parts from online bike breakers a lot cheaper than any on Ebay.
Forks,yolks,mud guard came off a Sxxxki site , mint £140 including P+P
Hope this help a bit and good luck
Des
akronos
Site Newbie

Post by akronos »

I live in PISA , Toscana. ok, thanks for all suggests. I need to find a complete front end,but what is the best for my bike? Front end from r6? from r1? or what?
On italian ebay (or another ) i don't find a lot of parts...
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

akronos wrote:I live in PISA , Toscana. ok, thanks for all suggests. I need to find a complete front end,but what is the best for my bike? Front end from r6? from r1? or what?
On italian ebay (or another ) i don't find a lot of parts...
A,
you need to put that location in your personal profile so that later on we can all be reminded you are in Italy.

Take a look on E-bay uk if you need help because a buyer will not export I can take delivery & ship it on to you at what ever it costs me to ship it. The guys will tell you I have done a lot of this and had it done for me too.
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Steve you devil, please post more recent pic's lol I want to see this monster you have built
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
akronos
Site Newbie

Post by akronos »

yesterday i found a complete front end from yamaha r1 (1999) for 350 dollars. It's a good buy? I think it is no difficult to fit on my bike or not?? Sorry for my bad language :-)
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

akronos wrote:yesterday i found a complete front end from yamaha r1 (1999) for 350 dollars. It's a good buy? I think it is no difficult to fit on my bike or not?? Sorry for my bad language :-)
A,
good find, my memory says there is a problem with the stem length (the bit that goes thro the frame or / & you have to have the whole wheel as well NOT SURE ?????

Do a search on R1 swap

I hope it works out for you , good luck
Y_Geo.
akronos
Site Newbie

Post by akronos »

thx for reply.Eventually there is a triple clamps with steam can fit perfectly in my genesis?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

akronos wrote:thx for reply.Eventually there is a triple clamps with stem can fit perfectly in my genesis?
A,
yes there are ways of doing the stem so it will work from ANY bike TO any other bike see:-

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7429

&
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1950&hilit=threaded+rod+steering

& for a picture of a race bike with the threaded rod stem fitted

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8134

Y_Geo.