engine swap

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

wheily
Site Newbie

engine swap

Post by wheily »

my bike is a 91 fzr 1000 exup and some thing in the starter died starter still turns but engine dosent. dealer wants 90 an hour to tear down and replace parts . now i found a moter for a 95 exup will it bolt in to my 91 frame? also its a cali bike and mine is not will i need more than moter or will i need all the exsaust aswell? i figure cense the guy only wants 6oo for hole crashed bike i can put moter in mine and then lern how to rebild my old moter with out the down time
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: engine swap

Post by sweekster »

91-95 the motor and frame was unchanged. The only "Cali" stuff i know of was just a charcoal canister which you don't need. You should have not trouble swapping.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
wheily
Site Newbie

Post by wheily »

cool thanks
P-son
Site Newbie

Post by P-son »

Hello !!

I have a 91 also, with a pritty worn engine.... (above 8000km)
I got a good price on a R1 engine (98-01)
the thought of 6 gears is tempting....

how close or far off is the engine mounts ??

has anyone done it before ??
chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

The mounts on the R1 engine is not compatible with the FZR. Not even close!! I do remember to have seen picks of an FZR with a R1 motor,so nothing is imposible thou!! It would proberbly be cheaper to buy a R1 than to begin a project like that. Not recomended!!
Replasing the engine in the FZR (with another FZR engine)is no big job. No need for special tools or other wierdness.Bolt of,bolt on. Done!!
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Its possible to mount an r1 engine, but with anything from doing some sort different engine swap you have to account for all sorts of things. Is it FI? Or the earilier 99-01 r1 motor? You have sprocket alignment, airbox, fuel pump, regulator, throttle bodies. Tons of stuff. If you're not handy with a wrench then diffenity not recommended... 8000kms?... I guess you mean 80000km*... id just buy another lump and put that in.

If you want a 6 speed, look for a yzf750 6 speed trans to put in it.. if you want to takethe time, rebuild it. New pistons, freshen the head, all new bearings/gaskets,new trans etc etc. You'll have a relible motor. These things are long lasting when done right and proper maintance.

If you want some lighter and more updated, then buy a new bike. Just my 2cents
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
P-son
Site Newbie

Post by P-son »

McFizzer wrote:Its possible to mount an r1 engine, but with anything from doing some sort different engine swap you have to account for all sorts of things. Is it FI? Or the earilier 99-01 r1 motor? You have sprocket alignment, airbox, fuel pump, regulator, throttle bodies. Tons of stuff. If you're not handy with a wrench then diffenity not recommended... 8000kms?... I guess you mean 80000km*... id just buy another lump and put that in.

If you want a 6 speed, look for a yzf750 6 speed trans to put in it.. if you want to takethe time, rebuild it. New pistons, freshen the head, all new bearings/gaskets,new trans etc etc. You'll have a relible motor. These things are long lasting when done right and proper maintance.

If you want some lighter and more updated, then buy a new bike. Just my 2cents
I know how "much" stuff that has to be right, not afraid of that !
to find a FZR 1000 engine on OK condition seems to be a harder case...
My primary gear (with the clutch housing) is cracked and beyond repair, a new one costs about the same as I can get hold on a complete R1 Gen 1 Engine (Carb).
If I should repair my old engine I also need a complete clutch with springs, plates, and clutch basket. But then I still dont know why the fuel consumption is so high, probably piston rings and / or valve sealings that are worn out. by now we have a cost that is more than double the new engine and I will still have the same trouble finding parts the next time something brakes....
And I will still have a 5 geared box.
And the clutch is a weak spot on these they say!

So, Yes, I´m realy interested in swopping in to the 10 years nerer engine with 50000 km less on the meter....
And getting It leagal seems to be no great problem eather.
//P-son
1991 FZR 1000 Streetfighter
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Well then if you want to, do you.
Fyi its not going to be more powerful, I think the 1st gen r1's made like 5hp more then stock exups..

I found my transmission(yzf 6 speed) for 100 bucks.. clutch baskets are week, yes but you can do a yzf750 mod for cheap and they work very well.

A 1040 kit will cost around 600 bucks plus 250-300 for machining and then youhave gaskets which is between 200-300 bucks.

Id rebuild the damn thing.. well I am rebuilding mine lol
1992 FZR 1000
PATMAN
Site Newbie

Post by PATMAN »

I have a complete motor / transmission out of a 1990 FZR 1000 for sale. I bought the bike off a friend to help the bebuild my 1989 FZR 1000. The motor has 10,000 miles on it and ran when removed from the bike around 1-1/2 years ago.

If anyone is intrested my Email address is GTSPOWERED@AOL.COM
Patrick.
actiondude1963
Site Newbie

Post by actiondude1963 »

the "the Cali" thing does have some things to think about.... i have an 89 1000wc .. the california model i swapped in a 49 state motor last year... the differences are in the cooling system.... and the oil system.... the california model is designed to run hotter and the cams are a bit milder... the cooling system you just need to plug a hose that fed coolant to the oil filter housing . the real issue is, the cali model has on oil cooler mounted in the fairing abovethe radiator which the 49 state bike doesnt .. you will need to get an oil cooler from the parts bike.. and mount it..... or swap the oil pan, oil pump, and the plumbing under the bike... the cali model has ports on the right and left of the oil pan that the oil cooler attaches to .... the 49 state motor doesnt have these castings drilled and the oil gets routed differently ..... Mark
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Hmm didn't know that.

I only thought it was the 89-90 models that had an external oil cooler where as the 91+ RU models all had the oil cooler built into the oil filter housing. Wasn't aware of the cams, thought that was just a 600 thing.. the RU 1k's have the attachment on the oil pan but like said are un drilled.

I'm going to have a look in my book tonight
1992 FZR 1000
sapalobo
Site Newbie

Post by sapalobo »

actiondude1963 wrote:the "the Cali" thing does have some things to think about.... i have an 89 1000wc .. the california model i swapped in a 49 state motor last year... the differences are in the cooling system.... and the oil system.... the california model is designed to run hotter and the cams are a bit milder... the cooling system you just need to plug a hose that fed coolant to the oil filter housing . the real issue is, the cali model has on oil cooler mounted in the fairing abovethe radiator which the 49 state bike doesnt .. you will need to get an oil cooler from the parts bike.. and mount it..... or swap the oil pan, oil pump, and the plumbing under the bike... the cali model has ports on the right and left of the oil pan that the oil cooler attaches to .... the 49 state motor doesnt have these castings drilled and the oil gets routed differently ..... Mark

I am not positive, but I think the differences you are talking about are different years, 89-90/91-95. I think Mcfizzer is on to something.