YZF6 Carbs / Cams into FZR6

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

YPM25
Site Newbie

YZF6 Carbs / Cams into FZR6

Post by YPM25 »

Hi

Will the YZF600 thundercat carbs fit and work on the FZR600 engine. Its for racing only so not really worried about losing a little low down ifs the top increases allot :)

Are there any other options? Preferably carbs that are easy to get hold of.

Can the YZF cams be fitted into the FZR as well??

I know about the 660 with the YZF top end but cannot race with a different cylinderhead or 660cc

Thanks
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: YZF6 Carbs / Cams into FZR6

Post by cad600 »

If you were to purchase cams from a shop, the YZF600 and FZR600 use the same performance grind profile. Which leads me to believe that the YZF600 and FZR600 cams are the same from the factory, so you will not get any benefit.

I've heard of people using an exhaust cam on the intake side for a performance gain though.

The YZF600 carbs will not fit onto the FZR600 head directly. The carb boots on the FZR600 are too small, and the YZF600 carb boots are a different shape at the head mount. You would need to make an adapter to mount the carbs. Not worth the effort really.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
YPM25
Site Newbie

Post by YPM25 »

Thanks for the info

i'l have a look and a measure of the EX cam, I have a couple of spaire engines (in boxs) so this would be ideal.

Carbs seem a bit trickier, I'l keep it in mind though.

Thanks
sleepyz0mby
Site Newbie

Post by sleepyz0mby »

arent cali cams supposed to be better too?

i think i remember reading about some one trying yzf carbs on a fzr and they said it was a fail. maybe yzf carbs are not designed for the higher velocity of smaller intakes? does that make sense to any one else? maybe they did a half-a$$ mod to get it to work... it was a long time ago that i read about it.

reground cams shouldnt run you too much at a local shop... maybe they may give you a discount on shaving the head some too?

speaking of which, does anyone know how far you can shave a fzr/yzf head? not tryin to thread crap
macbook
Site Newbie

Post by macbook »

Are the yzf carbs bigger? If they are you will loose some power down low, but the top end will get better,(i made that mistake with a fzr400 superbike back in the day). Before you get yzf cams, you should look up the profile and compare to the fzr profile. As far as using a exhaust for intake cam, only do that if it is a kit grind and I would only do that if you are confident you can set it up, its not easy!!!!!
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

fzr600 and yzf600 have the same lift and I'm pretty sure the same duration. What you do is put an inlet cam on the exhaust side as it has more lift and duration, not the other way around. The inlet has 0.2mm(0.008") more lift than the exhaust and about another 10 degrees of duration. This will require a dial indicator, a timing wheel and adjustable cam gears to get done properly.
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

weighs 166kg wet (25kg lighter than my stock fzr600).
FasterThanUr
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by FasterThanUr »

I have 98 yzf's on mine.Had to shoe horn them on because there 2mm biger,but they work fine.
Check out my wifes online stores <--------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThriftStoreShoppe <-----------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EFaceDesigns?ref=si_shop<-------- And my online stores
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MadProfessorsT ... ef=si_shop <------------

90 FZR400/98 Fzr600 engine
Tom Tom GPS
05 R1 passanger pegs
03 R6 tail
O5 R6 radiator
07 R6 rear shock
97 YZF 600 carbs
02 R6 header with a moddified V&H SSR2 carbon can
Daytona stabilizer
06 GSXR600 Front End Stainless brake lines front and back
Vortex sprockets 15/49 gearing with RK 520 XSO X-Ring Chain
76 CB750 HeadLight with HID Kit

Fasterthanur's PsychopathicCreations™

I hooked my brake light switch to my throttle,so when I hit the gas everyone would slowdown and I would be gone :headbang: