Project Freestyle

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Project Freestyle

Post by ragedigital »

Have you come to the point yet where you realized you could have bought a newer bike for less money? lol... Lord knows I did.

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

zero9243 wrote:does that not need to be water proofed?
Agreed
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

ragedigital wrote:Have you come to the point yet where you realized you could have bought a newer bike for less money? lol... Lord knows I did.

darrin
He's got a fairly new kawi sitting in the same garage. We all know FZR's are labors of love anyway.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

sweekster wrote:We all know FZR's are labors of love anyway.
Werd...
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Very Very Nice Progress.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

ragedigital wrote:Have you come to the point yet where you realized you could have bought a newer bike for less money? lol... Lord knows I did.

darrin
Way way past that point. And to be honest the total money spent really isn't out of hand at all. Now the time spent wrenching on it vs riding it now that is what is kind of killing me at the moment.
sweekster wrote:
He's got a fairly new kawi sitting in the same garage. We all know FZR's are labors of love anyway.
Couldn't have said it better myself...

As for the waterproofing... I may spray something on the electrical connector just for good measure, but don't kid yourself for a second thinking that your R/R doesn't get water on it whenever it rains... if anything the water will help cool it lol. That's the main reason I stuck it to a big aluminum sheet is so it has more surface area to get rid of heat.

And thanks for the all the comments and compliments guys really appreciate them. Can't wait to be riding this bike though. Before I have to tear it down again in the winter to fuel inject it.
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

im on my second summer of mine sitting i would have been done if i dident keep changing things. plus my daughter gos to her mothers for the summer so thats the only time i have any extra money
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Ok so she is now rideable. Just got in from her maiden voyage.

finished the exhaust bracket today. still a a handful of things left to do but she is actually rideable right now. I didn't push her much but handling wise she didn't seem too bad at all.

Day shots

After the first ride

haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

looking good you did yours alot faster than me haha. what did you do for the rear tank mount
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

I'm not into fighters, but I must say that looks absolutely fantastic, well worth all your hard work. ClapHands
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

very very nice, you moved quit fast on this, if your ever in BC, i'm just south, maybe you can light a fire under me.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
bigrobb
Site Newbie

Post by bigrobb »

It looks good but why not use the rearfootpeg as the exhaust hanger?
gogofizzpow
Level 1.5
Level 1.5
Location: Europe, California, Georgia, Belgium (yes, this is not part of the 1st one)

Post by gogofizzpow »

Looks good, later this year after I get back to the US and get all my other bikes out of storage. I think mines going to turn into the bastard fzr lovechild of anonymous parts... I have to say though that you have made your into a wierd Ducati meets FZR streetfighter thing... I like... You killed a 400 in the process :faptard: .... but.... but... congratultions on the final product...
'96 FZR600
-Stainless brake lines, K&N Filter Pods, R6 front calipers, R6 Front and rear Master cylinder, Factory Pro Stg 1 Jetkit, R6 Headers (TK), '08 R6 Rear shock w/ adjustable dogbones (RR), Airtech R1 kit (and all the mods that go with that), Home made 5 d ignition advance, YZF600r D&D Modified short can with R6 mid pipe, Progressive rate front suspension, YZF600r Swingarm/wheel, 520 14/45, 47, 48 Sprockets, China's rearsets, YZF600r modified undertray, Cheap battery mod so I can run lay flat glass matts, And anything else I become compulsive enough to do to her...
-FOR SALE- *sniff sniff*
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

bigrobb wrote:It looks good but why not use the rearfootpeg as the exhaust hanger?
Because the rearsets on the r6 don't lend themselves to being a very good spot to bolt stuff. Also with this location it helps push the exhaust out a little bit to gain that much more swingarm clearance.
gogofizzpow wrote:Looks good, later this year after I get back to the US and get all my other bikes out of storage. I think mines going to turn into the bastard fzr lovechild of anonymous parts... I have to say though that you have made your into a wierd Ducati meets FZR streetfighter thing... I like... You killed a 400 in the process :faptard: .... but.... but... congratultions on the final product...

I am going to take this as a compliment. I really don't mind "killing" a 400 in the process because it can still go back to it's stock configuration and quite frankly I like the bike more the way it is. It's now lighter and better looking (this is subjective of course). And she still handles AWESOME.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

I prefer the method you've used to hang the exhaust. Looks much tidier.