bikes acting weird . turned off on highway

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

unknown
Site Newbie

bikes acting weird . turned off on highway

Post by unknown »

ok. today i decided 2 ride my bike 2 work 2day.. in the morning i turned it on with the choke, after a 10 min it decided 2 turn off on me. idk y. it was low on gas so i figure that was the problem. so i turned on the reserve switch and left to go 2 the gas station. as i was on the high way the bike shut off on me.. luckly the gas station was right off the next exit. so i put gas and turned the reserve off and went to start the bike. it wouldnt start. so i turned the switch on and off a couple times to see if the fuel had to run threw.. nuthing... after a while it started but with a missfire.. it wouldnt pass 4 rpm..it would start 2 backfire. so i drove it like that back home 2 get my car and again on the highway it shut off.. unfortunetly i had 2 run the bike down the highway cuz there was no emergency lanes. SUCKED. but i got it off the highway and got it towed home.. im new to bikes so i dont no what it could be. i did some research and kept seeing ppl say it could b the battery.. but it cranks with no problem.... please help..
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: bikes acting weird . turned off on highway

Post by yamaha_george »

Hi,
FZR's are finnicky about battery voltage levels they will crank but not start on low voltage.

I suggest you go to the WIKI and read the Voltage Regulator (VR) troubleshooting guide& work thro that .
wheily
Site Newbie

Post by wheily »

i have a fzr 600 and it would run great then stall out and flat die and wouldnt start...and i didnt baleave it when they said it was the battery well foot in mouth later and a new battery it runs great and no more isues ...try the battery
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

My first thought is the battery as well. The VR doesn't really come into play on the 1000. These bikes run an alternator with an internal VR and that is very rarely a problem. My second though is a possible EXUP valve being stuck closed. That could explain why the bike had no power and would not rev past 4000rpm
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
unknown
Site Newbie

Post by unknown »

ok. how can i check if its the battery before i get a new one... having the bike towed set me back a lil...
unknown
Site Newbie

Post by unknown »

sweekster wrote:My first thought is the battery as well. The VR doesn't really come into play on the 1000. These bikes run an alternator with an internal VR and that is very rarely a problem. My second though is a possible EXUP valve being stuck closed. That could explain why the bike had no power and would not rev past 4000rpm

what is an EXUP valve ????
ok i bought the bike saturday.. drove it with no problems.. then sunday is when it started acting weird. when it wouldnt pass 4 rpm i would shut it off and turn it back on and it would rev fine pass 4.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

unknown wrote:what is an EXUP valve ????
ok i bought the bike saturday.. drove it with no problems.. then sunday is when it started acting weird. when it wouldnt pass 4 rpm i would shut it off and turn it back on and it would rev fine pass 4.
If your bike has the stock header if will have a valve in it that is servo operated. Look under on the left side and you may a see cover with 2 cables coming out of it. The valve helps create more back pressure so the bike has as equal amount of power on the low end as it will on the high end.
Duane...
Bike:
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
USE THEM!!
unknown
Site Newbie

Post by unknown »

If your bike has the stock header if will have a valve in it that is servo operated. Look under on the left side and you may a see cover with 2 cables coming out of it. The valve helps create more back pressure so the bike has as equal amount of power on the low end as it will on the high end.[/quote]

yea that i know of i have the stock headers..so one i find the valve what do i do..??
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

take the cover off and make sure the valve is turning. it's serviceable so some grease should make it like new again
Duane...
Bike:
My Thread
Cage:

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
USE THEM!!
unknown
Site Newbie

Post by unknown »

ok. i will do this when i get home 2 night. if this is the problem it will cause it to missfire, backfire.. right..?
thats was it currently does when it hits and stay at 4000 rpm..
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

sweekster wrote:My first thought is the battery as well. The VR doesn't really come into play on the 1000. These bikes run an alternator with an internal VR and that is very rarely a problem. My second though is a possible EXUP valve being stuck closed. That could explain why the bike had no power and would not rev past 4000rpm
Sweekster ,
OOps missed that this was the 1K forum (brain still n the boonies LoL) yup then i would be looking at the EXUP valve too
unknown
Site Newbie

Post by unknown »

ok i pulled off the fairing and when i went 2 undo the exup valve i realized that 2 bolts were already broken. could that cauze a problem. also do i really have 2 remove the kick stand 2 undo the top bolt????

how do i post up pics..???
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

'[img]Paste[/img]' copy then paste the URL/link to your pic where I've written "Paste"
unknown
Site Newbie

Post by unknown »

ok i dont understand that.. im having trouble trying to post them up still
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

unknown wrote:ok i dont understand that.. im having trouble trying to post them up still
U,
hi, I'm guessing here but are you trying to post pictures that are on your computer? If so, you first need to post them to a photo hosting site like picassa or you can use your account on this site to make an an album under your name and post to that then link using the g2img facility to display here on the thread.

One thing is that PLEASE do not put ginormous high def picture in your album as they take up space which we have to ultimately pay forand as you know this site is paid for by donation & a private individuals pocket book as a service to the FZR community.

Thanks and I hope that helped your post your pictures
Y-Geo.