Bought some Shinko 006 Podiums (Pics)

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Bought some Shinko 006 Podiums (Pics)

Post by olie05 »

I was wearing my old rear tire down to the next layer of rubber in the middle, so I decided it's time for new tires.

Looking at all the options for the stock rims (all 4 of them, that is) I decided to go with a set of Shinko 006 podiums. This decision was driven by price, and riding style. I figure this tire will work for the next 10,000 miles.

Other tires I was looking at:
Pirelli Sport Demon (too expensive)
Battlax BT014 (not my riding style)
Avon AV56 (too expensive)

I've only been riding the bike with these tires for a couple of days, but already I can tell a huge difference.

Previous tire sizes were:
front
120/70/17
rear
130/70/18

New sizes are:
front
110/70/17
rear
150/60/18

I've taken the bike on a few hard lean angles and found that I can get all the way over to the edge on the front tire, but on the rear I still have about a half inch left. I guess this is the price I pay for not going with the 140 rear. The bike looks a lot beefier with the 150 than the crappy old 130 that was on there. PO had put a Pirelli FRONT tire on the rear rim. The 110 in the front doesn't fill out the fender quite the same way the 120 did, but the steering feels a little lighter, and I feel like its more important to have the correct profile on the front than on the rear.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase, but that could be influenced by how bad my old tires were. Others may not feel the same way about these tires.

I'll post pics of the tires later tonight.

Edit: Here are some pics.

Old front and rear tires:
ImageImage

New Front and rears:

And the bike... with treads so sharp you can cut yourself :P
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Bought some Shinko 006 Podiums (Pics)

Post by yamaha_george »

o,
the proof is how you get along with them and how they work for you.

Normally anything but big name tyres get slated by the press riders who are by and large paid to race bikes for test tracks. I know very few magazines that cater for older bikes with less frantic riders that actually ride the tyres day in day out on their commuter bike.

I personally trust "Battle ax " tyres for my bikes because they wear well for just trolling round with maybe Madam on the back AND when I am on "a mission" with a need to get down round corners and NOT feel afraid that the tyre will "let go".

Your gut feeling about the tyre is what counts.
4Rings6Stars
Site Newbie

Post by 4Rings6Stars »

I put the the same Shinkos on my bike about 200 miles ago and so far they have been great. True test will be how they feel 7 or 8 thousand miles from now. I'm using my bike as a light, occasional commuter and weekend cruiser and I'm not a very aggressive rider so I figured I would try my luck with some "cheaper" tires.
92 FZR600
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

IMO the most important part on any vehicle is the tyres bike, car, truck, bus or whatever. Second is the brakes.

I'll explain why. You get a blow out/puncture flat tyre. That tyre will come off the rim, rendering your brakes useless. Why you may ask? The friction between the tyre & wheel is lost. You pull/push the brakes the wheel will lock up, the tyre will spin on the wheel = you will not stop!

In the UK reputable bike shops will NOT repair a puncture on the front tyre, for the reasons i explained!!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mawler wrote:IMO the most important part on any vehicle is the tyres bike, car, truck, bus or whatever. Second is the brakes.

I'll explain why. You get a blow out/puncture flat tyre. That tyre will come off the rim, rendering your brakes useless. Why you may ask? The friction between the tyre & wheel is lost. You pull/push the brakes the wheel will lock up, the tyre will spin on the wheel = you will not stop!

In the UK reputable bike shops will NOT repair a puncture on the front tyre, for the reasons i explained!!!
Mal,
they would not on my rear tyre either even for a 24 hour period.!!
I had a 17" rim on the way due the following day so all I wanted was a repair on the 18" to get me home, would they NAH new tyre hence still running the 18" when it should be the 17" BAH F'ing HUMBUG !!!!
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

olie05 wrote:I figure this tire will work for the next 10,000 miles
4Rings6Stars wrote:True test will be how they feel 7 or 8 thousand miles from now.
I can't imagine getting that kind of mileage out of a motorcycle tire. I got close to 2500 with the BT-014 I had on my FZR and it had a flat spot by then. I thought the max was 3-4k miles on most motorcycle tires anyway.

Lucky to do 400 miles with my GSXR running Michelin Pilot Powers, but that is due to Track Days.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

ragedigital wrote:I can't imagine getting that kind of mileage out of a motorcycle tire. I got close to 2500 with the BT-014 I had on my FZR and it had a flat spot by then. I thought the max was 3-4k miles on most motorcycle tires anyway.
8k miles on my last Avon Av56 rear. Current one has 3500 and looks and feels new.

Yeah, they're expensive,but I think they are worth it.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

When i got my FZR6 it had a BT 090 rear, and some pathetic thing on the front, a real mismatch the front wheel would sometimes seem to slip side ways, while riding in a straight line!!. £105 for a new BT 090 on the front. Then i punctured the rear £115 for a BT 090 both prices included fitting and balancing. I was more than happy to pay the costs. As for mileage i can't comment i've only done around 2k on the front and around 200 on the rear.

In 1980 my RD400 chewed Dunlop TT 100's every 800 to 1k and they where around £45 a pop.