Inspection questions. Some MA specific, but mostly general.

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

4Rings6Stars
Site Newbie

Inspection questions. Some MA specific, but mostly general.

Post by 4Rings6Stars »

Okay, so after a few weeks, I finally have my bike insured, registered and on the road. Next step is inspection...

I was reading up and this document http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr400.pdf (pages 23-30) raised a few questions/potential issues:
- I have flush mount turn signals for the front that I have not mounted yet. I believe they are LED and will only serve as signals, not running lights. Anybody fail for this type of front signals?
- I have no rear fender
- I have no chain guard (can borrow one from a friend with an FZR for inspection day though)
- I don't appear to have a license plate light
- I'm missing the right side front fork reflector
- Left fork seal has a slight leak. I plan to replace them soon but for now, would I have any luck just cleaning it up right before I head over for inspection?

Anybody (MA or otherwise) care to comment on these specific items above or general experience about motorcycle inspection as this is my first time?

Thanks!!
92 FZR600
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Inspection questions. Some MA specific, but mostly general.

Post by ragedigital »

According to the document:

Turn Signals - You should be fine. Auxiliary lights, daytime lights, are not required.

Rear Fender - Looks to be required, but like a lot of newer bikes, it may be subjective to design. You may be fine.

Chain Guard - Required.

License Plate Light - Required.

Front Reflectors - Required.

Fork Seal - You will probably be fine. Remove some fork oil before you take it there so none of it leaks out, then replace when you get home.

Again, this is only according to the document you linked to.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
4Rings6Stars
Site Newbie

Post by 4Rings6Stars »

Thanks for the response.

I gathered that information myself from the article, but was curious about people's actual experience with inspections. For example, if somebody passed or failed with flush mounts, no rear fender, plate light...etc.

Also, from what I read on page 28, front turn signals are required. "Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps".

Re. the fork seal, removing some (not all?) the fork oil will stop the leak but it won't damage anything or be noticeable otherwise by the inspector?

Thanks again.
92 FZR600
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

4Rings6Stars wrote:Also, from what I read on page 28, front turn signals are required. "Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps".
I assumed you had these and were just questioning the "running lamp" portion. So, yes, you have to have turn signals.
4Rings6Stars wrote:Re. the fork seal, removing some (not all?) the fork oil will stop the leak but it won't damage anything or be noticeable otherwise by the inspector?
You may not leak any at all if you take it easy going there. Is it a long distance to the Inspection Station?
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
92r
Site Newbie

Post by 92r »

they didnt even make me get mine inspected in ga..... lol
yoshi pipe, black with white
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

92r wrote:they didnt even make me get mine inspected in ga..... lol
In Missouri, they just checked to see if my head/tail/turn signal lights worked and they squeezed my front brake lever to made sure it operated.
chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

In Missouri, they just checked to see if my head/tail/turn signal lights worked and they squeezed my front brake lever to made sure it operated.
ClapHands ClapHands ClapHands :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just wondering,can you book me in for an inspection in that place rage?? :rofl: :rofl:
4Rings6Stars
Site Newbie

Post by 4Rings6Stars »

Just an update.

I passed with non DOT blinkers and a bad fork seal. They basically just checked if all the lights worked. Only thing I had to do was add side reflectors on the back but they had some stick ons they gave me.

Put a couple hundred miles on the bike this weekend and loved every minute of it. I'm hooked!
92 FZR600